Tesla's Model 3 rear bumper comes off vehicle while in use during rainstorm! Does it have a design defect?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Credit towards Insideevs.com for revealing such: the link with a video of the incident. Further credit for this publication revealing other owners of the Model 3 have suffered the same thing: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/weird-rain-damage.131679/ and a possible defect for this issues: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/found-out-what’s-causing-undercarriage-composite-to-break-apart.135657/#post-3211534

No vehicles are "perfect". Posting and discussing issues is one way to solve or force the auto companies to fix such problems.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla's Model 3 rear bumper comes off vehicle while in use during rainstorm!  Does it have a design defect? tesla-model-3-keeps-losing-its-rear-bumper-in-rainy-days
Sponsored

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
No worries, FSD will handle that for you.

...but in all seriousness, probably a good time to review the MME warranty:

13. What is the warranty on the Mustang Mach-E?

Our New Vehicle Limited Warranty will help give you peace of mind with the following:
Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: 8 years or 100,00 miles (whichever occurs first), with retention of 70% or more of the original High Voltage Battery capacity over that period.7
Powertrain coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles7
Bumper to Bumper coverage: 3 years / 36,000 miles7
Safety Restraint System coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles7
Corrosion coverage (Perforation only): 5 years / unlimited miles7
Electric Vehicle Roadside Assistance Program: 5 years / 60,000 miles7

⁷ Whichever comes first. See dealer for details.

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
it is very disturbing when going over some of the posts in the Tesla forum. Missing parts, bolts, and parts falling off.
Hopefully MME wouldn’t have the same problems.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
it is very disturbing when going over some of the posts in the Tesla forum. Missing parts, bolts, and parts falling off.
Hopefully MME wouldn’t have the same problems.
I'm sure Ford will have issues, just like with any new model. However, I would not anticipate the sloppy manufacturing/QC.

I mean Ford has issues (like the focus/fiesta clutch) but that was more of a poor design that got pushed through, not missing fasteners.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
13. What is the warranty on the Mustang Mach-E?
Bumper to Bumper coverage: 3 years / 36,000 miles7
Does that only apply if the bumper is still attached to the car?

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Not sure what to make of this, I have never seen any vehicle collect water or dirt like this. Check out this owner, this was from July 2019 theirs collected 15 lbs of dirt!

Model 3 - Owner Finds 15 Pounds of Dirt...

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Puddles?! Who would think to design a car for puddles!
Note to self. Don't take my car mudding .. every day of the week.... for a year....
Or drive over a puddle!

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In all seriousness, this type of problem is very concerning to me. If enough water is getting trapped up in there to create the force necessary to rip off the bumper, or so much dirt is getting trapped from driving in a dirt road, my concern is for winter driving. I imagine snow, ice, road salt, sand, etc would also get caught.

Maybe they should have people come in for periodic debris removal in place of oil changes.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
In all seriousness, this type of problem is very concerning to me. If enough water is getting trapped up in there to create the force necessary to rip off the bumper, or so much dirt is getting trapped from driving in a dirt road, my concern is for winter driving. I imagine snow, ice, road salt, sand, etc would also get caught.

Maybe they should have people come in for periodic debris removal in place of oil changes.
A recall and redesign to fix this issue is the real solution. But, Tesla is not going to do so until legally has to.
Sponsored