Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Can’t wait to get the stink eye from a Tesla driver waiting to charge haha
And give them the stink eye right back because they use our chargers when they should use theirs!
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I think they're talking about the equipment that converts AC from the grid to DC in the cabinets.
That makes more sense but why do they need new AC equipment if all they need to do is add an adapter and new communication protocol? Seems like Tesla could offer adapters for us to buy, and I would probably buy one if the price wasn't too crazy.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That makes more sense but why do they need new AC equipment if all they need to do is add an adapter and new communication protocol? Seems like Tesla could offer adapters for us to buy, and I would probably buy one if the price wasn't too crazy.
Not sure, but it sounds like they're building new stations that have both Tesla and CCS cords on them.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I think they're talking about the equipment that converts AC from the grid to DC in the cabinets.
As long as they don’t get thunderstruck.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla's Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot Program To Open In US In 2022 1657135489302

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Not sure, but it sounds like they're building new stations that have both Tesla and CCS cords on them.
Not a quick rollout for sure, if that is what they are doing.

Fersigo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
In the UK Tesla has made a limited number of superchargers available to non-Tesla vehicles. We pay about 50% more than Tesla owners for energy supplied. The process is simple - you sign up for a Tesla account, install the Tesla app on your phone, and then tell the app the location of the charging court you are at. You are then presented with a list of the charger ID numbers at that location and you choose the one you want to use. The chargers are fantastic compared to any others I’ve use - fast and reliable.

Regarding etiquette, we get along just fine with Tesla owners and usually enjoy comparing notes whilst we wait for charging to complete. I’m a little worried at the tone of some posts in this thread which to me are setting up an adversarial relationship when we should be trying for the opposite. Trust me - access to this fast, reliable charger network is an absolute boon for me as a MME owner and if we start hacking off our fellow EV drivers just because they chose a different make of vehicle then it’ll be to the disbenefit to us all.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Tesla will not mind non-Tesla users using the stations. It is more money in their pocket. Tesla users that may have to wait on a non-Tesla EV to finish charging might have another opinion however.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
And give them the stink eye right back because they use our chargers when they should use theirs!
On my recent road trip I encountered my first Tesla charging on a CCS rig (EA station). I chatted him up and it was very pleasant conversation. He was using an official Tesla adapter obtained from South Korea. His car didn't come with lifetime free Supercharging, so he valued the fact that EA can be less expensive, and the EA equipment generally (but not always) results in a shorter charge time.

MidwestElectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
In the UK Tesla has made a limited number of superchargers available to non-Tesla vehicles. We pay about 50% more than Tesla owners for energy supplied. The process is simple - you sign up for a Tesla account, install the Tesla app on your phone, and then tell the app the location of the charging court you are at. You are then presented with a list of the charger ID numbers at that location and you choose the one you want to use. The chargers are fantastic compared to any others I’ve use - fast and reliable.

Regarding etiquette, we get along just fine with Tesla owners and usually enjoy comparing notes whilst we wait for charging to complete. I’m a little worried at the tone of some posts in this thread which to me are setting up an adversarial relationship when we should be trying for the opposite. Trust me - access to this fast, reliable charger network is an absolute boon for me as a MME owner and if we start hacking off our fellow EV drivers just because they chose a different make of vehicle then it’ll be to the disbenefit to us all.
Disbenefit? Are you British?

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I think the article headline is misleading. It says "Tesla's Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot Program To Open In US In 2022". But what the fact sheet says: "Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.” (emphasis mine) Does not say when they will actually be live.
I picked up on this important point as well. Who knows what "new Supercharger equipment" actually means. Could be an adapter, could be updated electronics plus an adapter, or it could mean the entire EVSE. (Or it could mean something else entirely.) By guess? It's the minimum to get Tesla those Federal $millions...

As for the cost to non-Tesla cars, I have it on good authority it will $5000, $6000, $7000, $8000, $10,000, $12,000/kWh. 😉

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag

I don't know about the UK, but we definitely have a ton of Tesla Bros here. Or at least I seem to be encountering every last one that exists, sigh.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Is there even an adapter available if we were to use the non ccs connectors? I know for level 2 they exist but i have not seen any supercharger ones hence why they need to be built.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Is there even an adapter available if we were to use the non ccs connectors? I know for level 2 they exist but i have not seen any supercharger ones hence why they need to be built.
One exists for CCS to Tesla, but not the other way around yet. In a recent earnings call Tesla said they have figured out a way to implement it
Sponsored