Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
That makes more sense but why do they need new AC equipment if all they need to do is add an adapter and new communication protocol? Seems like Tesla could offer adapters for us to buy, and I would probably buy one if the price wasn't too crazy.
I believe that in order for tesla to receive government funds not only does the charger need to be Tesla + CCS but it also needs to be able to accept payment without an app. Tesla probably assumed that the best way to package everything efficiently would be to just build an all new charger.
Sponsored

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I'll believe it when it happens, but it would be huge. I'm sure tesla will jack the price on non-tesla though, so it'll likely be a network of last resort.
competition will eventually cure the price problem... for now I'd like to have more charging options in the big charging deserts, even if I pay a "lot" for now.

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
The benefit in my area would be there is only 1 CCS charger location in Minnesota that's over 62.5kw, and North Dakota has no ccs over 62.5kw. South Dakota has 1 EA location with 4 chargers in the middle of the state. Slow and expensive charging at 50kw I have seen $.30 to $.43 per minute plus a connection fee (sometimes $5) in Minnesota for a 50kw charger
FWIW, I’ve found inexpensive dcfc charging in greater MN - namely in cities with their own electric utilities or that are served by independent electric coops. Last month in Hutchinson, for instance, I added 150 miles of range for less than $5. But I agree that being able to access Tesla chargers will be nice - we both know there are still a lot of places in which it’s difficult even to find a public level 2!

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
I’ve been meaning to ask… why do you put “Jes sayin” in every post? Isn’t it implied at this point? Jes sayin.
Multiple reasons.
1) Been using it on every Internet forum and Blog including CompuServe before windows 95 came around.
2) It indicates what I’m saying is just my opinion rather than the fantastic MacGyver types here who disassemble the car and can tell us everything about it including how to program it
They should be FMC engineers. I bet Ford can’t afford them ….it’s to differentiate that I am not one of them and do not take anything I say as fact …don’t ever try it out on your pony
3. It used to be the name of a blog I ran for struggling golfers and comments on the game in general until it became a pitch battle about who loves and who hates Tiger Woods so then I shut it down. Over a four year period I made $65.86 in click revenue. Lol. Chaching
4. It fascinates me how many people mimic it copy it and replicate it when I do it and question me about it because it doesn’t seem to be that big of a
freaking deal
5. In the last 20 years after using different screen names on different blogs about varying topics I found the same people Recognize me anyway and that was really kind of fun because we hadn’t talked in years and it was on a totally different topic so yeah that was fun
6. How do you know my name isn’t Jes Sayin. ?

anyway. Jes sayin

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I'm excited for this simply because there happen to be Tesla Superchargers in one or two long gaps in the Electrify America network (between Richmond, VA and Henderson, NC, and between Albany, NY and Plattsburgh, NY) that have Superchargers right smack in the middle of them.

These gaps are both on routes I plan to take regularly - cutting the gaps in half would basically end road trip range anxiety for me.

Last edited:

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
I believe that in order for tesla to receive government funds not only does the charger need to be Tesla + CCS but it also needs to be able to accept payment without an app. Tesla probably assumed that the best way to package everything efficiently would be to just build an all new charger.
I think I read about that recently too. I'll be very surprised if Tesla retrofitted every charging stall with a payment system. They'll probably just retrofit one out of the usual 8 at every station to get those government dollars. Also, those Tesla charging cables are incredibly short. It barely reaches a Tesla, so I imagine they'll also have to add a CCS cable that is much longer.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I picked up on this important point as well. Who knows what "new Supercharger equipment" actually means. Could be an adapter, could be updated electronics plus an adapter, or it could mean the entire EVSE. (Or it could mean something else entirely.) By guess? It's the minimum to get Tesla those Federal $millions...
Is there even an adapter available if we were to use the non ccs connectors? I know for level 2 they exist but i have not seen any supercharger ones hence why they need to be built.
One exists for CCS to Tesla, but not the other way around yet. In a recent earnings call Tesla said they have figured out a way to implement it
When Musk talked about this early last Fall in July 2021, he seemed unclear as to whether they would offer adapters onsite. As I recall, he turned to someone and asked. I'll look for that video.

It will NOT be adapters that we have to buy. Tesla won't get a dime of federal money without converting their chargers in some manner. On the European chargers, they already have a CCS hose because that's the standard, so they just had to modify the software (and hardware) to work for a non-Tesla (power and payment). In the US, they'll either need to add CCS hoses, add adapters that can't be stolen and are easy to use, or build new units.

It's clear that the mention in the administration's document is missing details, and Tesla has not stated what they are doing.

In May 2022 he said:

Speaking at the Financial Times Future of the Car summit, Musk said they will add the connectors even if it lessens their competitive advantage over other automakers.

“It's a little trickier in the US because we have a different connector than the rest of the industry, but we will be adding the rest of the industry connectors as an option to Superchargers in the US. We are trying as best as possible to do the right thing for the advancement of electrification, even if that diminishes our competitive advantage,” Musk said.

In July 2021:

He also said that they’ll leave adapters at the Supercharger stations if they can find a way to prevent them from being stolen, and someone else on the call said, “We have a good solution for that.”

Last edited:

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The question I have is... why is the WHITE HOUSE announcing this??

A precursor to a trruckload of subsidies?

FYI the CCS to Tesla adapter only works with Teslas built from 2021 onwards as the newer cars have CCS charging hardware built in.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Ken Josing

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla to J1772 Adapter for Destination Chargers

Found this on the internet for $79.99 "Free shipping to USA!" This site gives all the information and has 100,000 in stock. Note in Specifications and compatibility below there are some restrictions. I'm not familiar with Tesla's different chargers.

https://www.gochioce.com/collection...e&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping

• Specifications and compatibility – Tesla to J1772 adapter, used to connect SAE J1772 standard Electric Vehicles to Tesla chargers. Just connect the adapter to the Tesla charger, then connect to your J1772 standard vehicle. Please note: The J1772 Adapter is not compatible with Tesla’s third-generation charging stations. And the first and second generation Tesla charging stations are not compatible with BMW I3 and e-Golf. These could be the home EVSE wall chargers.
Sponsored