Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Can’t wait to get the stink eye from a Tesla driver waiting to charge haha
They have had the ability to use our CCS chargers for awhile now (South Korea Tesla is even selling the adaptors for $240/250, you can import to the USA for $300 ish). Give em the eye right back!

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
The Supercharger network works effortlessly and seamlessly for charging my Model 3 LR. If it works half as well for non-Tesla cars like our MMEs, then it will vastly improve our charging experience while on the road. It will also make long road trips easier and reduce range anxiety, especially in certain parts of the country not yet well served by EA and other companies. Let's hear it for competition!

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
The Supercharger network works effortlessly and seamlessly for charging my Model 3 LR. If it works half as well for non-Tesla cars like our MMEs, then it will vastly improve our charging experience while on the road. It will also make long road trips easier and reduce range anxiety, especially in certain parts of the country not well served by EA and other companies. Let's hear it for competition!
Yeah I think the biggest benefit is these stations are actually maintained on a regular basis, I don’t think I’ve heard of a SC being completely down without people knowing in advance

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Will be interesting to see how this is rolled out in the US. Due to varying charge port locations, it wouldn't surprise me if they make only a small number of chargers (the pull-thru ones) CCS capable to prevent (for example) 1 Mach E from blocking 2 parking spots. It also wouldn't surprise me if the Teslarati try to take those spots first to block CCS cars.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This is the first time I heard that Tesla Superchargers are AC, not DC. Is that correct? I just thought the communication protocol was different. If they have to convert all Superchargers from AC to DC, or add DC capacity, it is going to be a while. A long while. And will they convert all pumps, or just some?

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'll believe it when it happens, but it would be huge. I'm sure tesla will jack the price on non-tesla though, so it'll likely be a network of last resort.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
The nearby mall has a tesla station with some free tesla L2 chargers I've used (often ICEd.) Not exactly sink eye, but some odd looks that's for sure.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
This is the first time I heard that Tesla Superchargers are AC, not DC. Is that correct? I just thought the communication protocol was different. If they have to convert all Superchargers from AC to DC, or add DC capacity, it is going to be a while. A long while. And will they convert all pumps, or just some?
I missed that. Where did you see that?

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I'll believe it when it happens, but it would be huge. I'm sure tesla will jack the price on non-tesla though, so it'll likely be a network of last resort.
Honestly, I’m fine with that. I want these as a backup, not a first stop.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
No they are DC, I think something got lost in translation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Supercharger

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I think they're talking about the equipment that converts AC from the grid to DC in the cabinets.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The benefit in my area would be there is only 1 CCS charger location in Minnesota that's over 62.5kw, and North Dakota has no ccs over 62.5kw. South Dakota has 1 EA location with 4 chargers in the middle of the state. Slow and expensive charging at 50kw I have seen $.30 to $.43 per minute plus a connection fee (sometimes $5) in Minnesota for a 50kw charger

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I think the article headline is misleading. It says "Tesla's Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot Program To Open In US In 2022". But what the fact sheet says: "Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.” (emphasis mine) Does not say when they will actually be live.
Sponsored