Test drive of the Audi E-tron.

ZCulture

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Comparable Mach-E is the Standard Range AWD - 211 mile range for the SR AWD Mach-E vs 222 mile range for the E-Tron of any trim. Skipping the Extended Range battery saves $5,000 on the Mach-E.
In terms of range, yes. But e-tron has the same size battery as a Mach-E ER. Audi took tradeoffs that worsen its efficiency, but they lead to a better ride quality (higher stance, air suspension, wider tires), premium interior that increases weight, faster charge rate, 400HP/500ft-lb. Similar arguments why one would buy a Mach-E over Chevy Bolt.
Sponsored

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
etron is great. I rank it only behind the mache. the price and range is the two-main thing killing it.
I agree. My MME isn’t due to be built until the week of May 10th. If the chip shortage causes too much of a delay, I’ll probably get an etron.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Agree. I would get premium plus Etron to get everything over and above Mach e. But air suspension in Etron is Mach E killer. Such a smooth ride with quite cabin. Wider 255 wheels of Etron gives it even more driving stability around the curve. I found Mach e with narrow 225 wheels more bumpy , less quite and almost slipping on the curve. I like more premium interior of Etron which I why I gave up on Mach e and got my deposit back.
I call that confirmation bias. Tire size is only one of the factors affecting a vehicle’s handling limit. e-tron’s skid-pad numbers are slightly worse than Mach-E’s (not exactly a surprise given the extra weight) and its lap time in Motortrend’s figure 8 test (along the outside edge of two 200-ft diameter circles whose centers are 500-ft apart) is a fraction of a second longer than Mach-E’s. Let it sink in: even the Toyota Prius posted a shorter lap time than the Audi e-tron. You can brag about “handling” all day long, but these are heavy crossovers and will never post spectacular numbers except on a straight line.

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I call that confirmation bias. Tire size is only one of the factors affecting a vehicle’s handling limit. e-tron’s skid-pad numbers are slightly worse than Mach-E’s (not exactly a surprise given the extra weight) and its lap time in Motortrend’s figure 8 test (along the outside edge of two 200-ft diameter circles whose centers are 500-ft apart) is a fraction of a second longer than Mach-E’s. Let it sink in: even the Toyota Prius posted a shorter lap time than the Audi e-tron. You can brag about “handling” all day long, but these are heavy crossovers and will never post spectacular numbers except on a straight line.
Again who cares about the lap numbers. May the best riding car, luxury interior win. It’s all in perspective!!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
In terms of range, yes. But e-tron has the same size battery as a Mach-E ER. Audi took tradeoffs that worsen its efficiency, but they lead to a better ride quality (higher stance, air suspension, wider tires), premium interior that increases weight, faster charge rate, 400HP/500ft-lb. Similar arguments why one would buy a Mach-E over Chevy Bolt.
Performance wise, the AWD SR is also closest to the E-Tron. The AWD SR MME can hit 0-60 in 5.2 seconds while Car and Driver got 5.3 on a 2019 E-Tron.

I appreciate what you are saying about the E-Tron and it is a very nice vehicle in it’s own right, but the fairest comparison is between a Premium AWD SR MME and a Premium E-Tron with the convenience package (which would be AWD as all E-Trons are). The E-Tron’s convenience package adds the 360 degree camera, adaptive cruise control, and lane assist. That comes out to about $71,000 vs $51,000 in difference with MSRP for the E-Tron and Mach-E respectively.

Still not a very reasonable comparison given the target markets, but if you go up to the AWD ER Mach-E, you are getting a degree of performance in range and acceleration not available on the standard E-Tron and if you go up to the Premium Plus E-Tron the difference in luxury features becomes even more wide between the Ford and the Audi.

RCProAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I should clarify...when I say “e-tron” I’m really wondering about whether the 2022 Q4 e-tron Sportsback will be worth the wait/ canceling the Mach-E over. The regular Q4 is out later this year, but I hate the look of it. The sportsback is slated for next year which would be a painfully long wait - but worth considering since I plan to keep my first EV at least 3 years.

The 2021 e-tron seems nice but, the Q4 seems to hold some improvements and at a potentially lower price out the gate (before incentives)

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Performance wise, the AWD SR is also closest to the E-Tron. The AWD SR MME can hit 0-60 in 5.2 seconds while Car and Driver got 5.3 on a 2019 E-Tron.

I appreciate what you are saying about the E-Tron and it is a very nice vehicle in it’s own right, but the fairest comparison is between a Premium AWD SR MME and a Premium E-Tron with the convenience package (which would be AWD as all E-Trons are). The E-Tron’s convenience package adds the 360 degree camera, adaptive cruise control, and lane assist. That comes out to about $71,000 vs $51,000 in difference with MSRP for the E-Tron and Mach-E respectively.

Still not a very reasonable comparison given the target markets, but if you go up to the AWD ER Mach-E, you are getting a degree of performance in range and acceleration not available on the standard E-Tron and if you go up to the Premium Plus E-Tron the difference in luxury features becomes even more wide between the Ford and the Audi.
Though adding convenience package brings MSRP TO 71000, with current rebates 6% dealer discount, Audi incentives, Costco incentive brings the final price to 58,500 which is still 5000$ more but luxury comes at small price. You are not paying MSRP for Etron . There are no discounts for MME.

Reactions: ARK

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I like the Etron Sport coupe but not a fan of the SUV. Really boring aesthetically.

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Though adding convenience package brings MSRP TO 71000, with current rebates 6% dealer discount, Audi incentives, Costco incentive brings the final price to 58,500 which is still 5000$ more but luxury comes at small price. You are not paying MSRP for Etron . There are no discounts for MME.
you won't get 58,500 counting the convenience package. added that still with the dealer rebate of 6% comes in at 62,000.
I just called three Audi dealers today to ask around I wanted to get to the bottom of this. Also the Costco you had to be a member already by march 1st 2021. You can't just go sign up and still get the 2,000 off.

58,500 is the premium Etron price after all the discounts.
Still to equal what the mache gives you would have to get the premium plus E-tron. your taking 14,000 more.

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I should clarify...when I say “e-tron” I’m really wondering about whether the 2022 Q4 e-tron Sportsback will be worth the wait/ canceling the Mach-E over. The regular Q4 is out later this year, but I hate the look of it. The sportsback is slated for next year which would be a painfully long wait - but worth considering since I plan to keep my first EV at least 3 years.

The 2021 e-tron seems nice but, the Q4 seems to hold some improvements and at a potentially lower price out the gate (before incentives)

125-kW charging so slow charging.
but the price is going to be in the mid-50,000 for one fully loaded so it could be nice.
250 to 280 miles of range is what they are saying.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag

The Mach E lr AWD was tested by C&D as 5.1 0-60. The SR AWD will be a good bit slower than 5.2 when tested - Ford quoted wildly optimistic 0-60 times, probably trying to match Teslas quoted numbers. It is very hard to compare the Etron and MME directly, the MME may have a few features that are only found on the higher trim E tron, but the E Tron will have a much nicer ride and it is a much nicer place to spend time in from a comfort/refinement standpoint. The Etron is also somewhat more expensive after incentives are taken into account - the price difference after the discounts/incentives is around $4000-6000 if purchasing, but if leasing the E Tron is lower in price than the Mach E.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Mach E lr AWD was tested by C&D as 5.1 0-60. The SR AWD will be a good bit slower than 5.2 when tested - Ford quoted wildly optimistic 0-60 times, probably trying to match Teslas quoted numbers. It is very hard to compare the Etron and MME directly, the MME may have a few features that are only found on the higher trim E tron, but the E Tron will have a much nicer ride and it is a much nicer place to spend time in from a comfort/refinement standpoint. The Etron is also somewhat more expensive after incentives are taken into account - the price difference after the discounts/incentives is around $4000-6000 if purchasing, but if leasing the E Tron is lower in price than the Mach E.
it's about 10 things you would not have at the premium etron price. the better ride I agree hands down. But again to get close to compare you have to jump up to the premium plus, and that is still a big price difference.

The lease price is very close. for 10,000 miles lease on etron premium with convenience package for 36 months is 752.00 a month.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
it's about 10 things you would not have at the premium etron price. the better ride I agree hands down. But again to get close to compare you have to jump up to the premium plus, and that is still a big price difference.

The lease price is very close. for 10,000 miles lease on etron premium with convenience package for 36 months is 752.00 a month.
Premium with convenience package has everything Mach E has except ambient interior lighting. Hard to compare the stereos, Mach E has B&O which sounds decent, while the Bang and Olufsen in the higher end Etron is sounds amazing - you can probably comment on how the Base Audi stereo sounds compared to the MME system. In the NYC area (tons of audi dealers) it is quite easy to get 8-10% dealer discount on the E TRON Before incentives, so cost ends up being a lot closer than one would assume. I am looking at leasing numbers and the Etron/Premiun w/ Convenience in my area is actually a bit less than the Mach E options even when accounting for the tax credit.

Range is much less on the E tron, but since it will only be local use vehicle for us, I am tempted to switch. Plus I like the thought of having 5700 lbs of metal between my kids and the next person on the road.
Sponsored

Last edited: