Test drove both Model Y and Mach E - current PHEV owner (Ontario, Canada)

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I wish that were the case. The ones around me have have decided to keep them in their showrooms and won't let anyone test drive them. My first test drive will be on my vehicle, which is total BS.
That was my experience as well, but I hoped other dealers would be better.
Sponsored

wvu_sam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Volvo S60
Country flag
Thanks to OP for an informative thread. My wife and I are planning to buy an EV later this year to replace our '09 Volvo S60. I'm retiring in a few weeks, and once Covid permits it we plan to travel. I've been doing a lot of reading and bouncing back and forth between the MME and Tesla Model 3 or Y. I'm concerned with the build quality of the Teslas. I also am not enamored with the lack of instruments in front of the driver. I don't care about full self driving. I LIKE to drive. That said, the spotty charging infrastructure available to the MME gives me pause. I hope as was noted by other posts that this catches up over the next year or two. I have relatives in WV where there's not much available other than the Tesla superchargers, so visiting them is more of a challenge with the MME.

We've not test driven anything yet. We may do Tesla soon since they offer touchless test drives. I won't go to a dealer to test drive the MME until Covid rates are way down. I don't want to test drive with a mask on. I'm not in a hurry to pull the trigger anyway, so we'll see.

Another pain point for both cars is we life in an apartment that does not have any EV charging available. Part of our retirement plan was to shed the house, which we did 5 years ago. That said, there's less time pressure once I'm not working, so going out to charge somewhere is not a big deal.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Drive a Volt currently. Tried the Model 3. Found it a bit cheap on the interior for teh price. Went with a Mach-E instead. LR Y was out of my price range.

We'll see if I regret my decision, but so far, MAch-E reviews are good.

In retrospect, the Bolt EUV would have also been a contender for me.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I've driven both the MY and MME (although six weeks apart; it would have been good to test drive each on the same day for a better comparison). That said, I understand your difficulty in coming to a decision. My key observations about the two cars are as follows:

1. Tesla has a slight edge on the MME with respect to software and the GUI (smoother, more intuitive); however, Ford will likely catch up with OTAs.

2. Although Tesla has the better fast charging network (today), that advantage will dissolve over the next year. There are so many non-Teslas on the market now, the DCFC network is going to explode. If you're willing to show some patience in your first 6-12 months of ownership, you'll probably find that you'll have no issues finding charging for your road trips.
I'm not so sure about #2 and #4. I have doubts about what Ford will do and how fast they will do it, and how much difference whatever is done will actually make. Let's see how the rest of this year goes. Hopefully my doubts will be unfounded.

Franchise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Outlander GT PHEV, 2021 e-tron premium plus
Country flag
Considering buying a BEV and have narrowed down to a MME or Model Y.

Tesla were kind enough to provide us with an overnight test drive (which says something about them as I am almost certain Ford would never do so, even if they had 300 MME's sitting on a dealership lot).

Thought I would share my experience:

Some thoughts feelings but some disclosure first:
- I am a 'young-ish middle aged' woman (been driving for over 25 years, will leave it at that)
- I do own a PHEV (Volt) and am used to one pedal driving. This PHEV is currently our only car and we have a Level 2 charger in the garage.
- We are looking to stay a one car fam
- We live in Southern Ontario (hot summers, cold and snowy winters).
- Most of my daily driving is sub 100km but with summer and weekend holidays as far as 350-400km.

As our PHEV starts to creep up km on the odometer we are due to make a decision on a new car. Hubs and I have decided we are ready to take the plunge into full BEV. This automatically narrows down our choices substantially. Polestar2, Bolt, All 3 Teslas, Mach-E, Etron, Kona, I-Pace have all been considered. A Taycan would be nice but then so would the lottery.

The Mach-E is exceptional. It's not only a super fun car to drive but it is far more relatable for most coming from an ICE setup (cluster in front of driver, superb interior finishings). The drawback with the Mach-E is the inferior DC Fast charging network in Ontario (probably most of Canada) and frankly some very questionable supply/allocation issues to our local dealers. Having spent most of my adult life driving German cars, I still believe the experience at a Big 3 auto dealership is slimy and uncomfortable. This may because I am a woman but even when my husband is with me I prefer to stay outside on the lot.

Fast-forward to my Model Y experience.

I have VERY bad motion sickness. I can't read on trains or as a passenger in a car and I usually take to driving as it occupies my mind and I have always found it helps with my motion sickness. First day was horrific. The one pedal driving in a Tesla is not like a PHEV. I narrowed this down in the end to the acceleration and I found "Chill" mode helped me a tonne. Also, I should note here that the acceleration in this mode is still plenty and anyone who tells you otherwise I would question. The MME wasn't perfect (but was better) in this regard either and if you suffer from motion sickness I would share this with the SA beforehand. There may be a setting they can put it on to help you.

I also should mention that I think some of the unsettling feeling I experienced may have come from the movement on the screen. The left side portion of the screen with the image of your car in relation to other cars on the road, road signs etc I'm sure some people love; I do not. It would be great if in future iterations you could have this disappear with your speed posted in a larger font or maybe have the map take up the whole screen. I'm actually sort of surprised that people find much purpose to this dual screen within a screen. It's distracting without a doubt. +1 to the MME in this regard.

I have owned Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, VW, GMC, Ford and I can say, the steering wheel stinks. It's small and toy like and not in keeping with the cool factor of the vehicle. Honestly cannot understand how there isn't more outrage about how silly it feels in your hands when you drive. I wasn't expecting a BMW M sport wheel but my god for $80,000 please come out with a wheel that makes the driver feel they are getting some interior value other than a screen. +1 to the MME here too.

Suspension is firm, like driving an X5, but it's almost too bumpy and I cannot figure out if it was the stock tires or the way the car is tuned? +1 to the MME here too.

Don't understand why Tesla don't have blind spot assist or side view mirror turn indicators (guess it's too much of a draw on electric). I didn't look to see if the MME had this.

Now for the good stuff...

LOVE the sound system. Far and away one of the best I've ever experienced. Honestly, both Tesla and Ford have hit it out of the park in this regard. The fabric finish on the B&O in the MME is undoubtedly a beauty.

LOVED the driver visibility. Without a doubt better than the MME, which wasn't bad but it was worse.

LOVED the passenger & driver wireless charging pads in the Tesla.

Whilst the screen is a distraction undoubtedly it is cleaner & better looking than the MME.

LOVED the supercharger experience. Would imagine most of my charging to be at home but I really like that you have peace of mind that you can charge quickly if you are on a road trip. So called 'range anxiety' is a non-issue. +1 to Tesla here and frankly it will take a long while for anyone else to catch up.

The cargo capacity in the Model Y is really ample. I was really surprised. The rear seats fold nearly flat and that is such an important thing not to overlook as I have found that most car manufacturers do not have rear seats that fold anywhere near flat. I thought the MME had better visibility out the rearview mirror. If absolute capacity is critical the Model Y is where it is at, for women however I suspect the wider rear glass window may offer better rear visibility since we are sensible types when it comes to safety.

The driver and passenger seat in both cars are ridiculously comfortable. I herniated two discs last year and I have to be honest, the seats are dreamy. I could easily see myself driving for 3 hours with no problems and no need for a stretch break. I will take a moment here to say the Volt has the worst seats I've ever experienced. Husband agrees with me.

The Model Y corners brilliantly for a vehicle that size and I believe had more pep than the MME AWD ER. Sometimes you forget you are in a Crossover/SUV. I took it on tight country roads, narrow two lanes, up and down hills and it handled really well in all those conditions (albeit it was dry). As Tesla gave us a demo overnight I got to spend a couple hundred km in it. The MME, the sales rep led us in his car so I had to play nice and couldn't try out cornering on anything but grid-in city roads.

I have some concerns about the exterior and interior fit and finish of the Model Y. How can a car manufacturer be satisfied delivering a car to dealer where there were no less than 4 visible issues inside (2 with the fabric around the glass roof and 2 with the rubber seal around the interior passenger doors). On the exterior of our demo there were 3 visible issues (paint disclouration, panel misalignments). And again, let's pause here to remember this is a $80,000 CAD car on the road. For that money I could buy a BMW M2. Perhaps I'm being anal but that is a lot of money for most people and it's pretty discouraging to know that the only response Tesla has is "well take notes at delivery and we will try and fix it and if not you can get a new VIN or get your deposit back."

I think if you never imagined travelling more than the EPA range, go with the MME. If you like long haul road trips, even only several times a year, the Tesla is still the no brainer. I really hope that Ford gets their supply up cause this car could really be a game changer for those two-car households where one driver could have an ICE and one could have a BEV.
i test drive both yesterday. Jumped in a model y long range at Tesla in Buena Park followed by a premium awd er at norm reeves about 1hr later.

my take - both are very nice but entirely different. Tesla felt more go cart-ish with quicker power delivery. Better rear view visibility than the MME.

MME felt more ā€œrefinedā€ and more like a car. Both have good cargo space with rear seats down (concerned whether 2 large ridgebacks will fit on short trips with seats down) and hereā€™s where the MME surprised me. It has a dual level rear trunk floor - in the bottom position itā€™s 31-34 inches to the ceiling (depends on where you measure due to lift gate) and was slightly larger than the MY. Iā€™m also sure the GT will have a power delivery that meets or exceeds the MY LR.

If the #s work out Iā€™m definitely leaning MME. It just felt nicer to drive, the seats were more comfortable, and relying on the center screen in the MY for EVERYTHING is disconcerting. Better real world range. Iā€™ve heard about the Tesla service horror stories. Plus MME looks nicer - less like a flying egg.

Even though the range is no bueno, still going to check out the etron - SoCal has some great lease offers right now (~$519/month on them).

coulomb

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Extended Premium, VW Golf
Occupation
Computer geek
Country flag
MME owner here living in Southern Ontario.
I go to Quebec 3-4 times a year. The charging network is a bit of a concern but I like what I see from Petro-Canada. I tested one near London and it worked flawlessly.
I also see a fair bit of Canadian Tire locations with "coming soon" on ABRP.
Tesla's Supercharger network is fantastic, one of the many good things Tesla has done, but I think we'll be fine with the infrastructure being built for MMEs and others.

OP
OP

Mustangcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Thanks to OP for an informative thread. My wife and I are planning to buy an EV later this year to replace our '09 Volvo S60. I'm retiring in a few weeks, and once Covid permits it we plan to travel. I've been doing a lot of reading and bouncing back and forth between the MME and Tesla Model 3 or Y. I'm concerned with the build quality of the Teslas. I also am not enamored with the lack of instruments in front of the driver. I don't care about full self driving. I LIKE to drive. That said, the spotty charging infrastructure available to the MME gives me pause. I hope as was noted by other posts that this catches up over the next year or two. I have relatives in WV where there's not much available other than the Tesla superchargers, so visiting them is more of a challenge with the MME.

We've not test driven anything yet. We may do Tesla soon since they offer touchless test drives. I won't go to a dealer to test drive the MME until Covid rates are way down. I don't want to test drive with a mask on. I'm not in a hurry to pull the trigger anyway, so we'll see.

Another pain point for both cars is we life in an apartment that does not have any EV charging available. Part of our retirement plan was to shed the house, which we did 5 years ago. That said, there's less time pressure once I'm not working, so going out to charge somewhere is not a big deal.
I hear you. Test driving with a mask on isn't very enjoyable. Our Ford SA led in a separate car and allowed us to follow in the MME which was very kind.

I am also in the same camp with you and love to actually drive. FSD I would never use.

In Canada we only have 100 Superchargers across the entire country, fortunately where we live and travel to frequently, we can hit several on almost every trip we do. As for DC Fast, the network in Canada is terrible and spotty at best. So I do appreciate your WV concerns. I really think that for both cars you have to spend a good chunk of time looking at your driving habits and distances/trips and determine what is best.

OP
OP

Mustangcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
MME owner here living in Southern Ontario.
I go to Quebec 3-4 times a year. The charging network is a bit of a concern but I like what I see from Petro-Canada. I tested one near London and it worked flawlessly.
I also see a fair bit of Canadian Tire locations with "coming soon" on ABRP.
Tesla's Supercharger network is fantastic, one of the many good things Tesla has done, but I think we'll be fine with the infrastructure being built for MMEs and others.
The Petro-Can reviews on PlugShare seem really promising. Our Crappy Tire 5km away has a Flo that was put in a few years ago, always seems busy, so it too must work!

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Considering buying a BEV and have narrowed down to a MME or Model Y.

Tesla were kind enough to provide us with an overnight test drive (which says something about them as I am almost certain Ford would never do so, even if they had 300 MME's sitting on a dealership lot).

Thought I would share my experience:

Some thoughts feelings but some disclosure first:
- I am a 'young-ish middle aged' woman (been driving for over 25 years, will leave it at that)
- I do own a PHEV (Volt) and am used to one pedal driving. This PHEV is currently our only car and we have a Level 2 charger in the garage.
- We are looking to stay a one car fam
- We live in Southern Ontario (hot summers, cold and snowy winters).
- Most of my daily driving is sub 100km but with summer and weekend holidays as far as 350-400km.

As our PHEV starts to creep up km on the odometer we are due to make a decision on a new car. Hubs and I have decided we are ready to take the plunge into full BEV. This automatically narrows down our choices substantially. Polestar2, Bolt, All 3 Teslas, Mach-E, Etron, Kona, I-Pace have all been considered. A Taycan would be nice but then so would the lottery.

The Mach-E is exceptional. It's not only a super fun car to drive but it is far more relatable for most coming from an ICE setup (cluster in front of driver, superb interior finishings). The drawback with the Mach-E is the inferior DC Fast charging network in Ontario (probably most of Canada) and frankly some very questionable supply/allocation issues to our local dealers. Having spent most of my adult life driving German cars, I still believe the experience at a Big 3 auto dealership is slimy and uncomfortable. This may because I am a woman but even when my husband is with me I prefer to stay outside on the lot.

Fast-forward to my Model Y experience.

I have VERY bad motion sickness. I can't read on trains or as a passenger in a car and I usually take to driving as it occupies my mind and I have always found it helps with my motion sickness. First day was horrific. The one pedal driving in a Tesla is not like a PHEV. I narrowed this down in the end to the acceleration and I found "Chill" mode helped me a tonne. Also, I should note here that the acceleration in this mode is still plenty and anyone who tells you otherwise I would question. The MME wasn't perfect (but was better) in this regard either and if you suffer from motion sickness I would share this with the SA beforehand. There may be a setting they can put it on to help you.

I also should mention that I think some of the unsettling feeling I experienced may have come from the movement on the screen. The left side portion of the screen with the image of your car in relation to other cars on the road, road signs etc I'm sure some people love; I do not. It would be great if in future iterations you could have this disappear with your speed posted in a larger font or maybe have the map take up the whole screen. I'm actually sort of surprised that people find much purpose to this dual screen within a screen. It's distracting without a doubt. +1 to the MME in this regard.

I have owned Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, VW, GMC, Ford and I can say, the steering wheel stinks. It's small and toy like and not in keeping with the cool factor of the vehicle. Honestly cannot understand how there isn't more outrage about how silly it feels in your hands when you drive. I wasn't expecting a BMW M sport wheel but my god for $80,000 please come out with a wheel that makes the driver feel they are getting some interior value other than a screen. +1 to the MME here too.

Suspension is firm, like driving an X5, but it's almost too bumpy and I cannot figure out if it was the stock tires or the way the car is tuned? +1 to the MME here too.

Don't understand why Tesla don't have blind spot assist or side view mirror turn indicators (guess it's too much of a draw on electric). I didn't look to see if the MME had this.

Now for the good stuff...

LOVE the sound system. Far and away one of the best I've ever experienced. Honestly, both Tesla and Ford have hit it out of the park in this regard. The fabric finish on the B&O in the MME is undoubtedly a beauty.

LOVED the driver visibility. Without a doubt better than the MME, which wasn't bad but it was worse.

LOVED the passenger & driver wireless charging pads in the Tesla.

Whilst the screen is a distraction undoubtedly it is cleaner & better looking than the MME.

LOVED the supercharger experience. Would imagine most of my charging to be at home but I really like that you have peace of mind that you can charge quickly if you are on a road trip. So called 'range anxiety' is a non-issue. +1 to Tesla here and frankly it will take a long while for anyone else to catch up.

The cargo capacity in the Model Y is really ample. I was really surprised. The rear seats fold nearly flat and that is such an important thing not to overlook as I have found that most car manufacturers do not have rear seats that fold anywhere near flat. I thought the MME had better visibility out the rearview mirror. If absolute capacity is critical the Model Y is where it is at, for women however I suspect the wider rear glass window may offer better rear visibility since we are sensible types when it comes to safety.

The driver and passenger seat in both cars are ridiculously comfortable. I herniated two discs last year and I have to be honest, the seats are dreamy. I could easily see myself driving for 3 hours with no problems and no need for a stretch break. I will take a moment here to say the Volt has the worst seats I've ever experienced. Husband agrees with me.

The Model Y corners brilliantly for a vehicle that size and I believe had more pep than the MME AWD ER. Sometimes you forget you are in a Crossover/SUV. I took it on tight country roads, narrow two lanes, up and down hills and it handled really well in all those conditions (albeit it was dry). As Tesla gave us a demo overnight I got to spend a couple hundred km in it. The MME, the sales rep led us in his car so I had to play nice and couldn't try out cornering on anything but grid-in city roads.

I have some concerns about the exterior and interior fit and finish of the Model Y. How can a car manufacturer be satisfied delivering a car to dealer where there were no less than 4 visible issues inside (2 with the fabric around the glass roof and 2 with the rubber seal around the interior passenger doors). On the exterior of our demo there were 3 visible issues (paint disclouration, panel misalignments). And again, let's pause here to remember this is a $80,000 CAD car on the road. For that money I could buy a BMW M2. Perhaps I'm being anal but that is a lot of money for most people and it's pretty discouraging to know that the only response Tesla has is "well take notes at delivery and we will try and fix it and if not you can get a new VIN or get your deposit back."

I think if you never imagined travelling more than the EPA range, go with the MME. If you like long haul road trips, even only several times a year, the Tesla is still the no brainer. I really hope that Ford gets their supply up cause this car could really be a game changer for those two-car households where one driver could have an ICE and one could have a BEV.
Wait... I read Model Y test drive impressions and really appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully, there is part II is coming? The one that about MME? :) Did I miss it? I checked twice!

As for overnight test-driving MME - I think as soon as Ford dealers have as many spare MMEs as Tesla has Model Ys and Model 3s, you will be able to get the same - so far, not even every Ford dealer has one demo MME.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
@Mustangcanuck Great user name!

Well written comparison. I really wanted a Y. Day 1 reservation. Car came in June 2020. The build quality was so bad I cancelled and within two days ordered the MME. Iā€™m very happy with the car.

Like others said, range is actually equivalent and should not be much of a factor. However living where you do, the heat pump in the MY could make the MY a better choice because it does make a difference for range in winter driving,

As another mentioned the MME does have blind spot warnings that flash in the side mirrors. Very handy.

The MME also has Birds Eye view, the over the top camera view which I find invaluable.

Autopilot and the MMEs Copilot are equivalent in my opinion. Not sure if you used it but I donā€™t find Teslaā€™s to be superior to Fordā€˜s system. Both work very well. I had more ping ponging in the MY though.

I love both. If Tesla had better build quality it would have been a very tough choice as I love the performance but in the end I went with build quality overall and the MME is no slouch performance wise.

Here in the U.S. many dealers will let you check out the MME for a day or two. Shame that is not the case in Canada.

OP
OP

Mustangcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Wait... I read Model Y test drive impressions and really appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully, there is part II is coming? The one that about MME? :) Did I miss it? I checked twice!

As for overnight test-driving MME - I think as soon as Ford dealers have as many spare MMEs as Tesla has Model Ys and Model 3s, you will be able to get the same - so far, not even every Ford dealer has one demo MME.
Thanks @supertramp - I guess In re-reading I didn't do the MME justice. Sorry! Please see below:

Our MME test drive was only 20 min long. Husband got 10 min behind the wheel and I got 10 min.

Just sitting in the driver's seat without even driving is pleasant. I appreciate the driver's cluster and that there is more conventional notifications and functions that you can see and do without moving your neck.

The driving dynamics are superb. It's hard to believe you are driving in a brand new 1st gen model. The engineers did a great job and I think if you are a Mustang enthusiast with a knee replacement on the horizon you will appreciate being higher up but you can still wax on to your friends that you "drive a Mustang."

It definitely feels slower off the mark than the Tesla but I don't mind that. I don't buy a car to feel the back of my head bang against the headrest and I don't need to be the gal at the bar telling my friends 0-60 scores. It's just a well designed, good looking, sporty ride. It looks better than the Model Y which husband and I refer to as an 'Armadillo.'

The "Frunk" design is silly and I would take out those compartments unless I was using the car to deliver my mother's crystalware to the consignment shop.

The boot/trunk space is ample and nice. It's not as big as the Model Y or if it is is it doesn't feel like it. I would have to look at the specs to be certain.

I did not sit in the back. We don't have kids and with Covid I don't imagine us driving around with friends for awhile.

The dealership experience at the Big 3 isn't great. It may be different in the US but up here in Canada a lot of Ford dealers in my experience do not invest in their buildings and the customer experience is poor. I only came to realize this when I owned a BMW and they offered loaners and free shuttles at our annual service and the SA had a bottle of wine in the car on pickup day. It sounds corny but it's the little things and when you spend $80,000 CAD on a vehicle and you work your nuts off to afford it...

To be fair, I fully imagine that pickup day at Tesla is prefaced with a quick call to your insurer telling them that there may be a chance that the VIN changes due to body panel misalignment and a 21 year old SA, who has never been trained in customer service, is telling you to "chill lady."

I think for my husband and I the decision will come down to whether we can even get a MME. I'm not inclined to wait 11-12 months for a new car and Victor the Volt is starting to show his age (like all of us these days). Model Y's near us are readily available if you aren't too fussy on colour and interior (let's face it, it's hard to be fussy when you only have 5 exterior and 2 interior colour choices).

Our decision making is centred on this being our only vehicle. We refuse to go backwards and buy an ICE after our PHEV which means we also have to consider charging and range.

One's strengths is the other's weakness. Usually I can pull the trigger on a car in a matter of days but this decision is not an easy one.

OP
OP

Mustangcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
@Mustangcanuck Great user name!

Well written comparison. I really wanted a Y. Day 1 reservation. Car came in June 2020. The build quality was so bad I cancelled and within two days ordered the MME. Iā€™m very happy with the car.

Like others said, range is actually equivalent and should not be much of a factor. However living where you do, the heat pump in the MY could make the MY a better choice because it does make a difference for range in winter driving,

As another mentioned the MME does have blind spot warnings that flash in the side mirrors. Very handy.

The MME also has Birds Eye view, the over the top camera view which I find invaluable.

Autopilot and the MMEs Copilot are equivalent in my opinion. Not sure if you used it but I donā€™t find Teslaā€™s to be superior to Fordā€˜s system. Both work very well. I had more ping ponging in the MY though.

I love both. If Tesla had better build quality it would have been a very tough choice as I love the performance but in the end I went with build quality overall and the MME is no slouch performance wise.

Here in the U.S. many dealers will let you check out the MME for a day or two. Shame that is not the case in Canada.
Thanks SO much for your feedback. I really appreciate this. Sorry to hear about the MY experience - sadly you aren't the first I've heard this from.

The Heat Pump issue is definitely a consideration for us as we like to ski and snowshoe and do winter weekend road trips.

The MME we drove was a FE Grabber Blue. Sweet ride you have! She was a real beauty.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Thanks @supertramp - I guess In re-reading I didn't do the MME justice. Sorry! Please see below:

Our MME test drive was only 20 min long. Husband got 10 min behind the wheel and I got 10 min.

Just sitting in the driver's seat without even driving is pleasant. I appreciate the driver's cluster and that there is more conventional notifications and functions that you can see and do without moving your neck.
Thanks SO much for your feedback. I really appreciate this. Sorry to hear about the MY experience - sadly you aren't the first I've heard this from.

The Heat Pump issue is definitely a consideration for us as we like to ski and snowshoe and do winter weekend road trips.

The MME we drove was a FE Grabber Blue. Sweet ride you have! She was a real beauty.
The driving dynamics are superb. It's hard to believe you are driving in a brand new 1st gen model. The engineers did a great job and I think if you are a Mustang enthusiast with a knee replacement on the horizon you will appreciate being higher up but you can still wax on to your friends that you "drive a Mustang."

It definitely feels slower off the mark than the Tesla but I don't mind that. I don't buy a car to feel the back of my head bang against the headrest and I don't need to be the gal at the bar telling my friends 0-60 scores. It's just a well designed, good looking, sporty ride. It looks better than the Model Y which husband and I refer to as an 'Armadillo.'

The "Frunk" design is silly and I would take out those compartments unless I was using the car to deliver my mother's crystalware to the consignment shop.

The boot/trunk space is ample and nice. It's not as big as the Model Y or if it is is it doesn't feel like it. I would have to look at the specs to be certain.

I did not sit in the back. We don't have kids and with Covid I don't imagine us driving around with friends for awhile.

The dealership experience at the Big 3 isn't great. It may be different in the US but up here in Canada a lot of Ford dealers in my experience do not invest in their buildings and the customer experience is poor. I only came to realize this when I owned a BMW and they offered loaners and free shuttles at our annual service and the SA had a bottle of wine in the car on pickup day. It sounds corny but it's the little things and when you spend $80,000 CAD on a vehicle and you work your nuts off to afford it...

To be fair, I fully imagine that pickup day at Tesla is prefaced with a quick call to your insurer telling them that there may be a chance that the VIN changes due to body panel misalignment and a 21 year old SA, who has never been trained in customer service, is telling you to "chill lady."

I think for my husband and I the decision will come down to whether we can even get a MME. I'm not inclined to wait 11-12 months for a new car and Victor the Volt is starting to show his age (like all of us these days). Model Y's near us are readily available if you aren't too fussy on colour and interior (let's face it, it's hard to be fussy when you only have 5 exterior and 2 interior colour choices).

Our decision making is centred on this being our only vehicle. We refuse to go backwards and buy an ICE after our PHEV which means we also have to consider charging and range.

One's strengths is the other's weakness. Usually I can pull the trigger on a car in a matter of days but this decision is not an easy one.
I think Ford should include your phrase in their MME ads campaign - I am pretty sure it will attract masses :) :

"I think if you are a Mustang enthusiast with a knee replacement on the horizon you will appreciate being higher up but you can still wax on to your friends that you "drive a Mustang."

Priceless...

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
I think for my husband and I the decision will come down to whether we can even get a MME. I'm not inclined to wait 11-12 months for a new car and Victor the Volt is starting to show his age (like all of us these days).
Really? My Volt has held up pretty well. Got a 2nd gen I picked up in 2016.