Test drove both Model Y and Mach E - current PHEV owner (Ontario, Canada)

Mustangcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Considering buying a BEV and have narrowed down to a MME or Model Y.

Tesla were kind enough to provide us with an overnight test drive (which says something about them as I am almost certain Ford would never do so, even if they had 300 MME's sitting on a dealership lot).

Thought I would share my experience:

Some thoughts feelings but some disclosure first:
- I am a 'young-ish middle aged' woman (been driving for over 25 years, will leave it at that)
- I do own a PHEV (Volt) and am used to one pedal driving. This PHEV is currently our only car and we have a Level 2 charger in the garage.
- We are looking to stay a one car fam
- We live in Southern Ontario (hot summers, cold and snowy winters).
- Most of my daily driving is sub 100km but with summer and weekend holidays as far as 350-400km.

As our PHEV starts to creep up km on the odometer we are due to make a decision on a new car. Hubs and I have decided we are ready to take the plunge into full BEV. This automatically narrows down our choices substantially. Polestar2, Bolt, All 3 Teslas, Mach-E, Etron, Kona, I-Pace have all been considered. A Taycan would be nice but then so would the lottery.

The Mach-E is exceptional. It's not only a super fun car to drive but it is far more relatable for most coming from an ICE setup (cluster in front of driver, superb interior finishings). The drawback with the Mach-E is the inferior DC Fast charging network in Ontario (probably most of Canada) and frankly some very questionable supply/allocation issues to our local dealers. Having spent most of my adult life driving German cars, I still believe the experience at a Big 3 auto dealership is slimy and uncomfortable. This may because I am a woman but even when my husband is with me I prefer to stay outside on the lot.

Fast-forward to my Model Y experience.

I have VERY bad motion sickness. I can't read on trains or as a passenger in a car and I usually take to driving as it occupies my mind and I have always found it helps with my motion sickness. First day was horrific. The one pedal driving in a Tesla is not like a PHEV. I narrowed this down in the end to the acceleration and I found "Chill" mode helped me a tonne. Also, I should note here that the acceleration in this mode is still plenty and anyone who tells you otherwise I would question. The MME wasn't perfect (but was better) in this regard either and if you suffer from motion sickness I would share this with the SA beforehand. There may be a setting they can put it on to help you.

I also should mention that I think some of the unsettling feeling I experienced may have come from the movement on the screen. The left side portion of the screen with the image of your car in relation to other cars on the road, road signs etc I'm sure some people love; I do not. It would be great if in future iterations you could have this disappear with your speed posted in a larger font or maybe have the map take up the whole screen. I'm actually sort of surprised that people find much purpose to this dual screen within a screen. It's distracting without a doubt. +1 to the MME in this regard.

I have owned Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, VW, GMC, Ford and I can say, the steering wheel stinks. It's small and toy like and not in keeping with the cool factor of the vehicle. Honestly cannot understand how there isn't more outrage about how silly it feels in your hands when you drive. I wasn't expecting a BMW M sport wheel but my god for $80,000 please come out with a wheel that makes the driver feel they are getting some interior value other than a screen. +1 to the MME here too.

Suspension is firm, like driving an X5, but it's almost too bumpy and I cannot figure out if it was the stock tires or the way the car is tuned? +1 to the MME here too.

Don't understand why Tesla don't have blind spot assist or side view mirror turn indicators (guess it's too much of a draw on electric). I didn't look to see if the MME had this.

Now for the good stuff...

LOVE the sound system. Far and away one of the best I've ever experienced. Honestly, both Tesla and Ford have hit it out of the park in this regard. The fabric finish on the B&O in the MME is undoubtedly a beauty.

LOVED the driver visibility. Without a doubt better than the MME, which wasn't bad but it was worse.

LOVED the passenger & driver wireless charging pads in the Tesla.

Whilst the screen is a distraction undoubtedly it is cleaner & better looking than the MME.

LOVED the supercharger experience. Would imagine most of my charging to be at home but I really like that you have peace of mind that you can charge quickly if you are on a road trip. So called 'range anxiety' is a non-issue. +1 to Tesla here and frankly it will take a long while for anyone else to catch up.

The cargo capacity in the Model Y is really ample. I was really surprised. The rear seats fold nearly flat and that is such an important thing not to overlook as I have found that most car manufacturers do not have rear seats that fold anywhere near flat. I thought the MME had better visibility out the rearview mirror. If absolute capacity is critical the Model Y is where it is at, for women however I suspect the wider rear glass window may offer better rear visibility since we are sensible types when it comes to safety.

The driver and passenger seat in both cars are ridiculously comfortable. I herniated two discs last year and I have to be honest, the seats are dreamy. I could easily see myself driving for 3 hours with no problems and no need for a stretch break. I will take a moment here to say the Volt has the worst seats I've ever experienced. Husband agrees with me.

The Model Y corners brilliantly for a vehicle that size and I believe had more pep than the MME AWD ER. Sometimes you forget you are in a Crossover/SUV. I took it on tight country roads, narrow two lanes, up and down hills and it handled really well in all those conditions (albeit it was dry). As Tesla gave us a demo overnight I got to spend a couple hundred km in it. The MME, the sales rep led us in his car so I had to play nice and couldn't try out cornering on anything but grid-in city roads.

I have some concerns about the exterior and interior fit and finish of the Model Y. How can a car manufacturer be satisfied delivering a car to dealer where there were no less than 4 visible issues inside (2 with the fabric around the glass roof and 2 with the rubber seal around the interior passenger doors). On the exterior of our demo there were 3 visible issues (paint disclouration, panel misalignments). And again, let's pause here to remember this is a $80,000 CAD car on the road. For that money I could buy a BMW M2. Perhaps I'm being anal but that is a lot of money for most people and it's pretty discouraging to know that the only response Tesla has is "well take notes at delivery and we will try and fix it and if not you can get a new VIN or get your deposit back."

I think if you never imagined travelling more than the EPA range, go with the MME. If you like long haul road trips, even only several times a year, the Tesla is still the no brainer. I really hope that Ford gets their supply up cause this car could really be a game changer for those two-car households where one driver could have an ICE and one could have a BEV.
Sponsored

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Every Ford dealer that sells the Mach-E has to order 1 vehicle specifically to allow customer test drives, and you'll find plenty of those dealers that will let you take the car home and see how it fits into your life.

OP
OP

Mustangcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Every Ford dealer that sells the Mach-E has to order 1 vehicle specifically to allow customer test drives, and you'll find plenty of those dealers that will let you take the car home and see how it fits into your life.
Maybe in the US but in Canada we were initially told we couldn't even take a test drive without first placing a deposit. After escalating to the manager they allowed us to come in for a test drive. The experience was perfectly fine and as one would expect but both my husband and I were floored that Tesla allowed us to take one for 24 hours.

theRealDevo

First Name
Deven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo XC60 T6; 57 Thunderbird
Country flag
This could be dealers that have the MME as a loaner? Not all dealers at least from my search here in Denver have MMEs in their loaner program, the ones I have dealt with only have one MME and it’s strictly for a test and not available for a day long or even a weekend test.

I have been trying to find one so I can test the ground clearance, I’m concerned about the clearance as we have a driveway curb. We currently have a crossover and another suv so we are worried the MME might bottom out getting into the driveway.

Ironbear

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium FE Carbonized Gray, AWD, Long-Range
Country flag
Agreed! I found a local Ford dealer that offered to let me take their test drive car home for the weekend and come drive it every day if I wanted.

greenwindwill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Country flag
These are very good comparisons between both vehicles. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either one. They both have a few things better than the other, but at the end of the day both are great vehicles. As such, my wife will be taking delivery of a Y next week and I have a Mach e build date of 5/24.

Anecdotally, I will say that it seems like the Y quality has significantly improved from even just months ago. I was suppose to take delivery at the end of 2020 Q3, but my car “failed inspection.” Crazy to think Tesla even had quality control because literally every post I would read was about how many errors were found on delivery. Nowadays, posts are about how deliveries have been flawless. *fingers crossed*

I’ll be curious which one you ultimately decide on.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
This could be dealers that have the MME as a loaner? Not all dealers at least from my search here in Denver have MMEs in their loaner program, the ones I have dealt with only have one MME and it’s strictly for a test and not available for a day long or even a weekend test.

I have been trying to find one so I can test the ground clearance, I’m concerned about the clearance as we have a driveway curb. We currently have a crossover and another suv so we are worried the MME might bottom out getting into the driveway.
Every Mach-E dealer will receive 1 loaner. It's up to them what they do with it, but they can't sell it until 4 months in loaner service, so it's to their advantage to actually loan them out and get customers interested and placing their own orders. Of course, the less enlightened dealers are probably keeping them in the back so they have as few miles as possible at the 4 month mark so they can add markup to it or something. It's amazing how dealers steadfastly refuse to act in either the customers' best interest or in their own best interest.

OP
OP

Mustangcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
These are very good comparisons between both vehicles. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either one. They both have a few things better than the other, but at the end of the day both are great vehicles. As such, my wife will be taking delivery of a Y next week and I have a Mach e build date of 5/24.

Anecdotally, I will say that it seems like the Y quality has significantly improved from even just months ago. I was suppose to take delivery at the end of 2020 Q3, but my car “failed inspection.” Crazy to think Tesla even had quality control because literally every post I would read was about how many errors were found on delivery. Nowadays, posts are about how deliveries have been flawless. *fingers crossed*

I’ll be curious which one you ultimately decide on.
Gosh that’s exciting for you and your wife! I imagine dinner discussions for the next year will be a game of one-upmanship!

Will definitely repost once we make our decision. Agree with you, both are incredibly amazing vehicles. It’s a really exciting time to be in the market for a new vehicle.

I too have heard the M-Y panel and paint flaws are not as bad with the 2021’s but I’m skeptical. I didn’t include in my post, but after I delivered back “the keys” I walked the Tesla lot running my hands over body panels and getting down on my arthritic haunches and let’s just say PLENTY of Model Y’s had apparent issues. A friend who is a Tesla owner says you really have to take the “fan boy” out of you on delivery day and come armed with a critical & pragmatic mind.

Ford49

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Considering buying a BEV and have narrowed down to a MME or Model Y.

Tesla were kind enough to provide us with an overnight test drive (which says something about them as I am almost certain Ford would never do so, even if they had 300 MME's sitting on a dealership lot).

Thought I would share my experience:

Some thoughts feelings but some disclosure first:
- I am a 'young-ish middle aged' woman (been driving for over 25 years, will leave it at that)
- I do own a PHEV (Volt) and am used to one pedal driving. This PHEV is currently our only car and we have a Level 2 charger in the garage.
- We are looking to stay a one car fam
- We live in Southern Ontario (hot summers, cold and snowy winters).
- Most of my daily driving is sub 100km but with summer and weekend holidays as far as 350-400km.

As our PHEV starts to creep up km on the odometer we are due to make a decision on a new car. Hubs and I have decided we are ready to take the plunge into full BEV. This automatically narrows down our choices substantially. Polestar2, Bolt, All 3 Teslas, Mach-E, Etron, Kona, I-Pace have all been considered. A Taycan would be nice but then so would the lottery.

The Mach-E is exceptional. It's not only a super fun car to drive but it is far more relatable for most coming from an ICE setup (cluster in front of driver, superb interior finishings). The drawback with the Mach-E is the inferior DC Fast charging network in Ontario (probably most of Canada) and frankly some very questionable supply/allocation issues to our local dealers. Having spent most of my adult life driving German cars, I still believe the experience at a Big 3 auto dealership is slimy and uncomfortable. This may because I am a woman but even when my husband is with me I prefer to stay outside on the lot.

Fast-forward to my Model Y experience.

I have VERY bad motion sickness. I can't read on trains or as a passenger in a car and I usually take to driving as it occupies my mind and I have always found it helps with my motion sickness. First day was horrific. The one pedal driving in a Tesla is not like a PHEV. I narrowed this down in the end to the acceleration and I found "Chill" mode helped me a tonne. Also, I should note here that the acceleration in this mode is still plenty and anyone who tells you otherwise I would question. The MME wasn't perfect (but was better) in this regard either and if you suffer from motion sickness I would share this with the SA beforehand. There may be a setting they can put it on to help you.

I also should mention that I think some of the unsettling feeling I experienced may have come from the movement on the screen. The left side portion of the screen with the image of your car in relation to other cars on the road, road signs etc I'm sure some people love; I do not. It would be great if in future iterations you could have this disappear with your speed posted in a larger font or maybe have the map take up the whole screen. I'm actually sort of surprised that people find much purpose to this dual screen within a screen. It's distracting without a doubt. +1 to the MME in this regard.

I have owned Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, VW, GMC, Ford and I can say, the steering wheel stinks. It's small and toy like and not in keeping with the cool factor of the vehicle. Honestly cannot understand how there isn't more outrage about how silly it feels in your hands when you drive. I wasn't expecting a BMW M sport wheel but my god for $80,000 please come out with a wheel that makes the driver feel they are getting some interior value other than a screen. +1 to the MME here too.

Suspension is firm, like driving an X5, but it's almost too bumpy and I cannot figure out if it was the stock tires or the way the car is tuned? +1 to the MME here too.

Don't understand why Tesla don't have blind spot assist or side view mirror turn indicators (guess it's too much of a draw on electric). I didn't look to see if the MME had this.

Now for the good stuff...

LOVE the sound system. Far and away one of the best I've ever experienced. Honestly, both Tesla and Ford have hit it out of the park in this regard. The fabric finish on the B&O in the MME is undoubtedly a beauty.

LOVED the driver visibility. Without a doubt better than the MME, which wasn't bad but it was worse.

LOVED the passenger & driver wireless charging pads in the Tesla.

Whilst the screen is a distraction undoubtedly it is cleaner & better looking than the MME.

LOVED the supercharger experience. Would imagine most of my charging to be at home but I really like that you have peace of mind that you can charge quickly if you are on a road trip. So called 'range anxiety' is a non-issue. +1 to Tesla here and frankly it will take a long while for anyone else to catch up.

The cargo capacity in the Model Y is really ample. I was really surprised. The rear seats fold nearly flat and that is such an important thing not to overlook as I have found that most car manufacturers do not have rear seats that fold anywhere near flat. I thought the MME had better visibility out the rearview mirror. If absolute capacity is critical the Model Y is where it is at, for women however I suspect the wider rear glass window may offer better rear visibility since we are sensible types when it comes to safety.

The driver and passenger seat in both cars are ridiculously comfortable. I herniated two discs last year and I have to be honest, the seats are dreamy. I could easily see myself driving for 3 hours with no problems and no need for a stretch break. I will take a moment here to say the Volt has the worst seats I've ever experienced. Husband agrees with me.

The Model Y corners brilliantly for a vehicle that size and I believe had more pep than the MME AWD ER. Sometimes you forget you are in a Crossover/SUV. I took it on tight country roads, narrow two lanes, up and down hills and it handled really well in all those conditions (albeit it was dry). As Tesla gave us a demo overnight I got to spend a couple hundred km in it. The MME, the sales rep led us in his car so I had to play nice and couldn't try out cornering on anything but grid-in city roads.

I have some concerns about the exterior and interior fit and finish of the Model Y. How can a car manufacturer be satisfied delivering a car to dealer where there were no less than 4 visible issues inside (2 with the fabric around the glass roof and 2 with the rubber seal around the interior passenger doors). On the exterior of our demo there were 3 visible issues (paint disclouration, panel misalignments). And again, let's pause here to remember this is a $80,000 CAD car on the road. For that money I could buy a BMW M2. Perhaps I'm being anal but that is a lot of money for most people and it's pretty discouraging to know that the only response Tesla has is "well take notes at delivery and we will try and fix it and if not you can get a new VIN or get your deposit back."

I think if you never imagined travelling more than the EPA range, go with the MME. If you like long haul road trips, even only several times a year, the Tesla is still the no brainer. I really hope that Ford gets their supply up cause this car could really be a game changer for those two-car households where one driver could have an ICE and one could have a BEV.
Thanks for your thoughts. I live in a place where test drives of either are very difficult so I have to go with what I read.
I have come to the same conclusions as you. Since we have an ICE car for the long trips, and don't take many, the charging network is less of a concern. It is something that can improve over time as well. The newly added Petro Canada network could make a difference for example.
I have owned cars (Suzuki) where the service was long distance, and I didn't like it, so having a dealer 10 minutes away is a big deal for me.
That, combined with the build issues so many have described with Tesla, prompted me to order a MME. I could not stand driving 200 km to have their problems fixed, or waiting a week for them to arrive either.

Living in Ontario, you would have to wait a long time for your MME to arrive, where as a Tesla would be pretty quick. Enjoy your new ride, whatever you choose.

OP
OP

Mustangcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Thanks for your thoughts. I live in a place where test drives of either are very difficult so I have to go with what I read.
I have come to the same conclusions as you. Since we have an ICE car for the long trips, and don't take many, the charging network is less of a concern. It is something that can improve over time as well. The newly added Petro Canada network could make a difference for example.
I have owned cars (Suzuki) where the service was long distance, and I didn't like it, so having a dealer 10 minutes away is a big deal for me.
That, combined with the build issues so many have described with Tesla, prompted me to order a MME. I could not stand driving 200 km to have their problems fixed, or waiting a week for them to arrive either.

Living in Ontario, you would have to wait a long time for your MME to arrive, where as a Tesla would be pretty quick. Enjoy your new ride, whatever you choose.
That makes complete sense. We are in Southern Ontario but I can absolutely understand your concerns from a service perspective. The Petro-Can infrastructure is exciting and looks promising as it rolls out more. There are some pretty decent reviews on the PlugShare App.

Yeah, I made another post about delivery/order delays -- recently told 11 months. Heart sank when I heard that.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, the MME does have blind indicators in the mirrors where you'd expect them. I believe Tesla does have BLIS on the center screen, but when you're looking in the mirror you aren't looking at the center screen.

Interesting comparison; the fact that the MME compares so well to the Tesla is a significant achievement for Ford's first purely BEV design. There are definitely lots of software issues and other early adopter issues, but in general the design and hardware of the Mach E are solid. The charging infrastructure and software will come along in time, just as they did with Tesla.

The really good news is that more and more BEV choices are becoming available - and they are more on par with each other. More competitive options is a good thing.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I've driven both the MY and MME (although six weeks apart; it would have been good to test drive each on the same day for a better comparison). That said, I understand your difficulty in coming to a decision. My key observations about the two cars are as follows:
  1. The MME comes off as a much better assembled vehicle. It felt tighter, was quieter, and it was quite obvious that Ford is just better at building a car than Tesla. While driving the MY, there were a few disconcerting sounds (panels/windows) that confirmed the vehicle may have some manufacturing quality and structural design issues.
  2. Tesla has a slight edge on the MME with respect to software and the GUI (smoother, more intuitive); however, Ford will likely catch up with OTAs.
  3. Ford has a slight edge on driving dynamics; smoother, more confident ride. Although the MY has a slight edge on acceleration, it's not enough to overcome the overall driving experience (the MME AWD ER has enough acceleration for my needs)
  4. Despite the advertised driving ranges, the MY does NOT have an edge here. Numerous independent driving tests show both the MY and MME are roughly equivalent on range (assuming you have the Extended Range battery, which most MME owners have).
  5. Although Tesla has the better fast charging network (today), that advantage will dissolve over the next year. There are so many non-Teslas on the market now, the DCFC network is going to explode. If you're willing to show some patience in your first 6-12 months of ownership, you'll probably find that you'll have no issues finding charging for your road trips.
  6. (not mentioning the $7,500 credit, as you're Canadian and won't have access to that...for those of us in the states, that's a BIG deal).
I went with the MME. Items 1-5 put the MME in a slightly better light; #6 made it a much easier decision.

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag
Every Ford dealer that sells the Mach-E has to order 1 vehicle specifically to allow customer test drives
I wish that were the case. The ones around me have have decided to keep them in their showrooms and won't let anyone test drive them. My first test drive will be on my vehicle, which is total BS.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Will definitely repost once we make our decision. Agree with you, both are incredibly amazing vehicles. It’s a really exciting time to be in the market for a new vehicle.
As exciting as it is right now for electric cars, I think 2022 is going to be THE year for EVs and it's going to be awesome. The MME and ID4 are going to be tough to find for the next few months, as well as the Q4 E-Tron, Ioniq, Bolt EUV, the EQA, Ariya, and XC-40 Recharge all releasing later in 2021. But getting those more readily on dealer lots and some trucks like the Rivian, F150 and Cybertruck on the roads in 2022 will be the real game changer, especially with how popular pickups are these days.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wish that were the case. The ones around me have have decided to keep them in their showrooms and won't let anyone test drive them. My first test drive will be on my vehicle, which is total BS.
It's almost counterintuitive for the dealers to not let people test drive, which I don't understand. If people purchase one, the dealer gets a sale, there's a Mach-E driving around the area, people see the car and get interested, they test drive it and may buy one, and the cycle continues. Let the new owners market the car for Ford.
Sponsored