Test drove MME via John Berto at Hempstead Ford on Long Island: Great car and great guy at great dealership

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I finally got to test drive this MME (a Premium AWD standard range version) at my local Ford dealership, Hempstead Ford on Long Island, courtesy of my long-time salesperson there, John Berto. I've bought two cars from John, including my 2015 C-MAX Energi, and John has been very patient with my typical 1-2 year research-to-purchase timeframe.

I've been waiting until I was fully vaccinated before doing a test drive (even though Hempstead Ford is taking all appropriate precautions), so yesterday was my first shot (pun intended). I arrived at noon as scheduled and John came out shortly with the key fob. He was very eager to show me the MME, and had clearly done his homework, from resetting the trip computer before my drive to more accurately reflect range (the car was a bit more than half-charged) to noting the drain in the frunk to cautioning me about the one-pedal driving. He even made a point of recommending Ford Options (though not by name) as the best way to finance the car while retaining the tax credit, unlike so many dealers we hear about who have no idea the program even exists. He then went back inside, and left me to the MME.

I wanted to test wireless Android Auto, so I paired my phone (and yes, I remembered to un-pair it at the end), and placed it down on the wireless charging pad. The Android Auto part worked almost flawlessly, but my Galaxy Note 9 in its Otterbox Defender case was *slightly* too wide for the charging pad, making the charging part a bit iffy. I adjusted the seat, mirrors and wheel, ensured I was in Unbridled with one-pedal driving and synthetic noise both OFF, and headed out. I was able to take the MME down onto the Southern State Parkway and drive a few miles (in traffic, sadly, so I could test the adaptive cruise control but not the acceleration!), then took my home exit and drove to my house, where I parked and invited my wife out to see the MME. Miracle of miracles, she liked it! (I'd been worried she'd dislike the panoramic roof, being light-sensitive, or not be able to drive it, since I'm 6' and she's 4'11", but she was good at least tentatively with both.) I headed back to Hempstead Ford, handed back the keys, and drove home in my C-MAX Energi.

Bottom line for me: I'm still sold on (eventually) getting the MME for my next car. Even with one-pedal off, the lift-off regen in Unbridled was a bit stronger than I'm used to in my C-MAX or our Pacifica Hybrid, but not unpleasant. The steering, brake and pedal response were just what I'd hoped (I tried and disliked Whisper, and could probably live with Engage), and although I couldn't do a 0-60 run, I completely vanquished a Honda Civic off the line at a traffic light where two lanes merge almost immediately into one after the intersection; I was at and past the merge point before he'd gotten completely through the cross street. More than that, the MME felt familiar in the best way: everything from the driving experience to the infotainment system were different from those in my C-MAX or Pacifica Hybrid but more evolutionary than revolutionary.

So, when I'm ready to get my next car, it will almost certainly be an MME (Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue), and I will be very comfortable working with John Berto and Hempstead Ford to get it. {Jonathan}

Ford Mustang Mach-E Test drove MME via John Berto at Hempstead Ford on Long Island: Great car and great guy at great dealership Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Nice. How was the ride?

OP
OP
JonathanEzor

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice. How was the ride?
Firm but not unpleasantly so. I didn't feel any bouncing, as some have reported. (Granted, this was a Standard Range MME, so presumably the Extended Range would be heavier and that could have an effect on the suspension feel.) It felt mainly like a bigger stronger version of my C-MAX Energi in full electric; the C-MAX Energi has a surprisingly engaging ride for its size, much more so than our Pacifica Hybrid.

I won't say that the MME resembled the few actual sports cars I've driven, but it was convincingly sporty. {Jonathan}

OP
OP
JonathanEzor

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
John berto is awesome and knows his stuff. I recommend him at Hempstead Ford.
I hope to be seeing him this evening to finally place my order. I'll tell him James, aka DarkBlue on the forum, says hi. :) {Jonathan}

aSol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME
Country flag
I hope to be seeing him this evening to finally place my order. I'll tell him James, aka DarkBlue on the forum, says hi. :) {Jonathan}
Could you pm me his contact info. Plan to order one and want to reach out before doing so. Thanks.