Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I did a 10-97% charge at Electrify America after getting the CSP 21P22 update on my Mach-E. It was significantly faster above 80% than it was previously.

Sponsored

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I went on a long road trip immediately after my update as well, It was significantly faster and maintained decent speed above 80%. Prior to the update, I would never see speeds above 85 kW.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I did a 10-97% charge at Electrify America after getting the CSP 21P22 update on my Mach-E. It was significantly faster above 80% than it was previously.

Very nice to see, I got this update a little while ago and noticed the 44 kw above 80% as well which was nice. Also, my PAAK is awesome now

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the video. And, yes, I really missed having Liv on camera with you.

Curious about the battery temp while charging. Is the "DC Charger Coupler" temp the battery temp? If so, the battery temp remained very stable (mid 70s) throughout the charge and got up into the 80s only once you hit a 90% SOC. I wonder if Ford could live with a higher charging rate from 0% - 80%. SInce the battery cooling system didn't seem to be in play for most of the test, I would be curious to see whether the MME could handle something closer to 130-150 kW longer into the curve. It seemed like the 100-110 rate you had didn't really stress the battery temp at all.

Last edited:

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Is there an easy way to tell if you have this update or not? (besides charging at a fast charger above 80%)

IamIA

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3 & i3s, Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Thanks Patrick.

You mentioned in the beginning that the HVB SOC value appears higher than the SOC Display value, but towards the end of charging, the two states flipped.
Why?

Also, when your video stopped showing the CarScanner, the HVB SOC was at 92.66 and at 97% State of Charge, which is way above the usable value of 88.x kwh Ford says is usable. I understand that having the software update means that usable value might have increased to 91, but that is still less than what Carscanner was showing when your battery pack had reached at 97%. If we waited to see the HVB SOC value at 100% it would probably say closer to 95.66 kwh.
I dont think Ford would allow the charge level to reach 95.66, but instead somewhere closer to 91.
But if you did charge all the way to the full nominal value this pack is capable of, then you already lost a few percentage points.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Thanks Patrick.

You mentioned in the beginning that the HVB SOC value appears higher than the SOC Display value, but towards the end of charging, the two states flipped.
Why?

Also, when your video stopped showing the CarScanner, the HVB SOC was at 92.66 and at 97% State of Charge, which is way above the usable value of 88.x kwh Ford says is usable. I understand that having the software update means that usable value might have increased to 91, but that is still less than what Carscanner was showing when your battery pack had reached at 97%. If we waited to see the HVB SOC value at 100% it would probably say closer to 95.66 kwh.
I dont think Ford would allow the charge level to reach 95.66, but instead somewhere closer to 91.
But if you did charge all the way to the full nominal value this pack is capable of, then you already lost a few percentage points.
I don't understand why the two numbers are different or why they flipped. I have some ideas, but I'm not a battery expert.

I think both numbers are percentages, so it is 92.66% and 97%.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thanks for the video. And, yes, I really missed having Liv on camera with you.

Curious about the battery temp while charging. Is the "DC Charger Coupler" temp the battery temp? If so, the battery temp remained very stable (mid 70s) throughout the charge and got up into the 80s only once you hit a 90% SOC. I wonder if Ford could live with a higher charging rate from 0% - 80%. SInce the battery cooling system didn't seem to be in play for most of the test, I would be curious to see whether the MME could handle something closer to 130-150 kW longer into the curve. It seemed like the 100-110 rate you had didn't really stress the battery temp at all.
DC Charger Coupler is a temp sensor in the CCS port. It reads the temperature of the two pins to make sure they don't get too hot. After every DC charge session, the system does a weld check to make sure all the relays unlatched correctly. Sometimes, if the circuit gets too hot, then the contactor points can weld together and that would be very undesirable.

There also is a PID for AC Charge Coupler temp but I don't see an actual sensor in the PC/ED manual so I presume that is a calculated figure. Like so many of the PID values shown by the scan tool. It is important to understand that some values are actual sensor readings and some values are calculated using other data.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't understand why the two numbers are different or why they flipped. I have some ideas, but I'm not a battery expert.

I think both numbers are percentages, so it is 92.66% and 97%.
I suspect one is the "physical" battery and the other is relative to the usable capacity. For example, the "usable" is 0 when the "physical" battery is at 5%, and eventually the "Usable" hits 100% while the "physical" tops out at 95%. Those are of course made up numbers, but they are probably not too far off.

devildog125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E AWD, '22 Hyundai Tucson SEL AWD
Occupation
Law Enforcement Software Engineer
Country flag
My question is, is this update available for post built June/July cars? Mine was built in Aug according to the door tag. (Got mine by pure luck on the lot).

IamIA

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3 & i3s, Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I suspect one is the "physical" battery and the other is relative to the usable capacity. For example, the "usable" is 0 when the "physical" battery is at 5%, and eventually the "Usable" hits 100% while the "physical" tops out at 95%. Those are of course made up numbers, but they are probably not too far off.
so if the HVB SOC corresponds to nominal capacity, then the 100% SOC would have indicated a value of about 95.66 kwh. Does that mean Patrick's battery already degreded by 3 kwh in the few months he owned the car?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Thanks Patrick.

Why?

The HVB SOC PID sensor gives the actual “chemical” SOC of the battery pack, where 0% is completely totally dead, and 100% is absolutely not accepting another electron. The SOC Displayed PID gives the range given to the user.

The detail I think you are missing is that when displayed SOC is at 0%, the battery itself is actually at just about 5% real SOC. So (92.66% - 5%) * 99 kWhs = 86.8 kWhs. Add the ~3 more that he could have charged and you’d be at 89.8 kWhs available, which is totally plausible.

There is another PID point which is “kWhs to empty” which would have given a more precise answer. I’m not actually sure if that value is temperature corrected or not, however.
Sponsored