First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
$250 in Washington.
My Mach E’s tabs will cost almost a grand to renew this year.
Thats because of RTA tax....once you get out of the special taxing area for the lightrail that will never be finished (think Simpsons "monorail" episode). The EV fee is only $150 here in SE King County and no extra fees.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RKinWA

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE AWD Space White Metallic
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thats because of RTA tax....once you get out of the special taxing area for the lightrail that will never be finished (think Simpsons "monrail" episode). The EV fee is only $150 here in SE King County and no extra fees.
Yeah that RTA tax is a pain, my ICE tabs were running $550 the last several years.

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
In CA it is about 800 dollars a year in registration fees for almost any car. I am sure they will find a way to add more, they always do!
In California, registration fees vary by vehicle value and include additional charges for roadway maintenance.
EV drivers have been paying an additional $100 annual fee for registration of any model year 2021 or newer vehicle. This fee is now indexed to inflation. https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle-code/veh-sect-9250-6/

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
Yeah that RTA tax is a pain, my ICE tabs were running $550 the last several years.
Yep, that was yearly typical with our ICE vehicles when we lived in Issaquah. No RTA tax here in Black Diamond!!! (check out TenTrails master planned community) We have a few MMEs here in the neighborhood but also tons of Teslas plus 1 EQS SUV and a couple Ioniq's/EV6's.

OP
OP
RKinWA

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yep, that was yearly typical with our ICE vehicles when we lived in Issaquah. No RTA tax here in Black Diamond!!! (check out TenTrails master planned community) We have a few MMEs here in the neighborhood but also tons of Teslas plus 1 EQS SUV and a couple Ioniq's/EV6's.
Such a pretty area, great photo ops!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
In CA it is about 800 dollars a year in registration fees for almost any car. I am sure they will find a way to add more, they always do!
Yep, they will find a way to add... I remember when my Blazer went down to $24/year for all fees. Then it started going up, and up... It's more than 10x that now. 😢🐩

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Texans could pay $200 annual fee to drive electric vehicles | KTSM 9 News

Texas right now, but I am sure other states will start doing this as well. It makes sense actually, as EVs slowly take over the road, they will lose a lot of gas tax revenues and need to make them up somewhere. We have pretty high gas tax here in Washington, so I could see it happening here for sure, especially with the amount of EVs up here.
Not to mention that WA has no state income tax.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Thats because of RTA tax....once you get out of the special taxing area for the lightrail that will never be finished (think Simpsons "monorail" episode). The EV fee is only $150 here in SE King County and no extra fees.
Yes. Bulk is RTA. The people across the street from me are out of the zone.
there are two EV tax. I was wrong about the amount. Total is $225. I’m in Snohomish county.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Texans could pay $200 annual fee to drive electric vehicles IMG_0845

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
North Carolina around $200 a year. Way more than I’d pay in fuel tax per year.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Wait - you guys are getting a monorail? You have all the cool stuff - space needles, monorails, domed office parks! All we have are pre-colonial deer tracks masquerading has major highways 😀 but we don’t Have to pay an EV “gas tax” - yet 😀

OP
OP
RKinWA

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Wait - you guys are getting a monorail? You have all the cool stuff - space needles, monorails, domed office parks! All we have are pre-colonial deer tracks masquerading has major highways 😀 but we don’t Have to pay an EV “gas tax” - yet 😀
It is pretty awesome here 💜

zephiyr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER RWD
Country flag
From a technical perspective we could easily solve this by eliminating the gas tax and then taxing all vehicles based on weight*miles driven. Submit odometer readings yearly to get your bill and new tags. Too bad it is a political kerfuffle 😬

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Oregon has an EV tax too which is paid during registration for the same reasons.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I read about this on one of the Tesla forums. While I think electric vehicles should pay something to contribute for highway/road maintenance and construction, what is proposed is way higher than most would pay in a similar sized ICE vehicle. The current gasoline tax in Texas is $0.20 per gallon for the state and then the $0.184 per gallon for federal tax. This bill is only for the state portion, no wording that any would be given to the federal government. So, the $200.00 tax divided by $0.20 equals the tax on 1000 gallons of gas. So even with a poor 15 MPG average, that would be 15,000 miles a year. My Mach-E replaced a 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost that averaged about 23.8 MPG lifetime while I owned it. So based on 23.8 MPG I would have had to drive 23,800 miles a year to equal 1000 gallons of gas used. I never came close to that ever and I drive even less now that I work remote part time each week. Another issue with the bill is that is states for only vehicles under 10,000 LBS that uses only electricity as sole source of power. That indicates PHEV cars and trucks are not taxed at all even though they will use less gasoline than normal ICE vehicle driving the same distance.
I think a $100.00 BEV / $50.00 PHEV would be a fair tax for starters.
This tax will also be in addition to the annual registration costs which was $80.00 for me including the required safety inspection this year.

I will escape the tax this year even if signed by Governor Abbott, as it will take effect September 1st.
I just renewed the Mach-E and the Model 3 has to be renewed by end of August.

This is just another tax cost going up, as we seem to make up for no state income tax with ever increasing property taxes most now due to the 2021 / 2022 massive housing price increases.
Sponsored