BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
NO, I'm not. But nice try :)
It's been a while, so difficult to find these. Here is a thread he created on TMC. First supercharging failed miserably. Tesla had a "software bug". I think there were also times it was super slow in the USA, not in Europe. This, on Tesla's own proprietary charging network. We can give Ford a pass for now. If the cars still have issues at the end of February, then I will be concerned.
Ah, I had not heard that error. I remember a lot of criticism of his EU trip, without people recognizing the standards difference between the continents. Never said one-off errors aren't a thing.
Sponsored

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
After watching yet another one of those biased Tesla Fan Boy comparisons of the MY and the MME, that included flat out lies, it got me thinking. I order to further the opinion that only the Supercharger network is capable of being reliable, a bad or failed charging session can be easily faked. I’m not saying Kyle or Tom or Tommy Boy would ever do that but I can think of more than a few Tesla FanBoy channels that would.

What really sucks is that up until I started driving a Bev a couple years ago, I've always liked Tesla and rooted for them, and wanted one. I don't need to list why I changed my opinion here.

Again KyleC, TomM, and Tommy Boy are not included in the above bias reviewers.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
So comes down to this. Need to fix the charging problems, and info system speed and glitch. Are both because of a pre production model? Time will tell soon.
When ford fixes both and EA charging gets better Would Tommy then choose the mache over the model y?

Kyle kinda expressed the same thing. If the charging network was there and working correctly he would choose the mache over a tesla.

The EV movement is starting. You have tesla ahead of everyone, and everyone else catching up. The deal is how long before they are even?

Vehicle wise, the mache holds its own and more vs the model y. Charging is the deciding factor with the tesla DC charging network.
But if you're always using it at home or taking an ice vehicle on a road trip then to that point it doesn't matter.
Overall Tommy did a good job.
I am also thinking with other car companies starting to produce electric cars, we will see more charging stations built out. In addition to that, we are hearing about more states (and countries) start to restrict sales of ICE cars so that will hopefully mean more support for those electric cars. That is my hope.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ah, I had not heard that error. I remember a lot of criticism of his EU trip, without people recognizing the standards difference between the continents. Never said one-off errors aren't a thing.
Europe issues should be excused. He went there before Tesla released the car there, IIRC.

BTW, I edited my post with more snippets from his US part of the trip. I found the facebook page he had. I don't know a better way to go into the Jan 7, 2018 timeframe on that page other than scrolling down. it takes a while to scroll down that much and then my browser dies; says 'reload page' :( He had some very slow charging issues in cold weather as well. Says, it took some 1 to 1.5 hours to supercharge.
But I believe Tesla's claim is 30 mins to 80%? Perhaps if everything is ideal condition, it can happen.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If that's the barometer, then we're all in trouble. I don't give a sh$t about how poor the Tesla was when the Model 3 was released. That kind of 'perspective' is irrelevant. What should matter to all of us is how efficient the MME is when we get them. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the pre-production test models had challenges we may not experience. I truly hope that's the case.
Well, that's a problem for early adopters in a vehicle with OTA updates. Because "when we get them" won't be quite the same as they'll be months after we get them, or a year or two, out of a vehicle lifespan of 10-20 years. That's just the nature of being an early adopter for a vehicle like this, and using a charging network that's still in a relative infancy too.

It's likely to be quite a bit better a year from now, but the question is are you willing to put up with some ongoing improvements? If not, then being an early adopter is probably not a good choice.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Legacy manufacturing in general - not just automotive - tends to be slower on these things for cultural reasons. I'm sure you see that as a software engineer.

That said, I work with ISVs (independent software vendors), and you'd be surprised what fraction of them don't have CI/CD even in 2021.
My industry is also very slow to change but is beginning to embrace it. So I may have overstated some. But UX is a similar new trend that is making inroads, and Ford has jumped all over that.

IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
If that's the barometer, then we're all in trouble. I don't give a sh$t about how poor the Tesla was when the Model 3 was released. That kind of 'perspective' is irrelevant. What should matter to all of us is how efficient the MME is when we get them. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the pre-production test models had challenges we may not experience. I truly hope that's the case.
Amen!

Isn't It Time To Stop Comparing Every EV To Tesla?

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sorry, I missed this earlier. It does matter to know how past rollouts happened, to learn how these improved over time.
How many people are going on a long road trip right after getting the car? My guess is very few.
But if you are going on a long trip right after getting your car, then your situation is different and I understand your stance. Anyone buying a first-year model knows there are some kinks that get ironed out over time.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Sorry, I missed this earlier. It does matter to know how past rollouts happened, to learn how these improved over time.
How many people are going on a long road trip right after getting the car? My guess is very few.
But if you are going on a long trip right after getting your car, then your situation is different and I understand your stance. Anyone buying a first-year model knows there are some kinks that get ironed out over time.
Unfortunately with the virus, probably not going on a road trip *immediately* after. That said, I've got probably a dozen multi-state trips planned for once it's safe again.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The EV movement is starting. You have tesla ahead of everyone, and everyone else catching up. The deal is how long before they are even?

Vehicle wise, the mache holds its own and more vs the model y. Charging is the deciding factor with the tesla DC charging network.
But if you're always using it at home or taking an ice vehicle on a road trip then to that point it doesn't matter.
Overall Tommy did a good job.
I don't want to burn gas traveling. Why would we need to do that with a 100 KWh EV? E-tron, model S appear to be able to do it. I will be trying to road trip this EV.
The public charging network here is worse than our neighbour, don't hold your breath for that. If you do 500 plus road trip a lot and this is the only car at home, Model Y is a better choice. And this is the part I still debating, I am hoping I can use MME for road trip, I use plugshare to plan a trip from Vancouver to Montreal, oh boy, it's very challenging and will be a stressful trip.
Worse than your neighbor! Really that bad ?. I planed Ontario to P.E.I; plan to do it. I think patience's and no deadlines is what would be required in the early stages. Logic says with all the billions we see going into EV development and production it should get better.
Hi Folks,
Just joined to post the insideev's plug & charge testing of Mach e. Tom Moloughney of IEV did a fair amount of charging tests for Mach-E. He had no issues with plug & charge at EA stations. So perhaps Tommy had an older model/software? So we can't really extrapolate from his charging experiences. Tom's article is dated Dec 15th. Here is the link:
https://insideevs.com/news/460304/ford-mustang-mach-e-plugcharge/
BTW, Tesla superchargers are also extremely slow sometimes. Just google it. Like this one below.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/superchargers-super-slow.81432/
Notes the 80% brick wall may be an EA/Ford agreement thing. Think they are using EA's in Norway also?
Auto translates and look at the charging curve they got.
Is that a new release of their first vid some same shots. First one 80% and bang. Hardware problem you think or just ultraconservative of the test vehicle?
In the Mach-E I drove, the infotainment was ok but I would like more speed and the option to remove the animation to accelerate it. Wireless CarPlay didn’t worked yet (it was showing but no apps were displayed on screen). I’m afraid that it will be slower in a couple of years after many updates like any computer/phone.

One of the drawback I had that I forgot was that the voice command were activating for nothing at random times even if we said nothing remotely close to « ok Ford ». It was configured in French and of course it was a pre-prod unit (I had it for 2 hours on December 2)
Agree that transitions and other such features should be able to be toggled off. Do not need cpu usage for fart and propulsion noises. Slower after years, however, is dependent on if it is just all updates or some clean installs. Installing a clean, slimmed down, version of LTSC with updates slipped in always makes existing ram and cpu's feel snappy. It is normally users habits and appz they install that slows things down.
Curious...as a mechanical engineer, what are your thoughts on the MME holding up over the long-term (body and tires), when the car weighing over 2 tons? Seems that is a lot of wear and tear placed on a small chassis. I'm not an engineer though.
Trucks weigh more and are fairly dependable. Does Ford know how to build a truck? Did they build this one solid (sounds like it). It's heavy = Solid (= good)
Appears boeing (boing) has it right; if correct the difference of a jet to a car is a bit ridiculous. I want those guys on the MME.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The public charging network here is worse than our neighbour, don't hold your breath for that. If you do 500 plus road trip a lot and this is the only car at home, Model Y is a better choice. And this is the part I still debating, I am hoping I can use MME for road trip, I use plugshare to plan a trip from Vancouver to Montreal, oh boy, it's very challenging and will be a stressful trip.
Repeat this like a mantra, the charging network today is the worst it'll ever be.

I don't want to burn gas traveling. Why would we need to do that with a 100 KWh EV? E-tron, model S appear to be able to do it. I will be trying to road trip this EV.
Truth.

Is that a new release of their first vid some same shots. First one 80% and bang. Hardware problem you think or just ultraconservative of the test vehicle?
@OutofSpecKyle says he's going to be re-testing the Mach-E's range and DC charging capabilities this month in California. Ford has had six weeks since he last drove the car to revise the charging profile. Maybe Ford will take advantage of Kyle's media opportunity to showcase the car's refined EV capabilities of range & charging speed.

Out of Spec Motoring's testing for these two EV-specific metrics will leave a permanent media impression on the Mach-E's abilities. I hope Ford takes this seriously and understands what is about to happen.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
This model car he's driving is the exact configuration and color I've ordered. The charging problem he seem's to have starts to worry me because that will be the only pony in our stable so it will be use on a day to day basis and also for road trips, although plug and charge is not available on any network now in Canada. The reviewers are using pre-production cars and I'll have time seeing what other owners will have to say about their charging experience, hopefully some in Canada. For the rest well I think we have to make our own idea based on all reviews that we have seen because depending on who's driving the impressions vary quite a bit but where generally positive and it all depend's what each of us is expecting from this car.
I have a hunch the car may be pre-warming the battery before starting the charge. This because I've read the car can start a charge as low as -14°F ... and batteries don't like that unless they are warmed -- and he is testing it in the winter.
Sponsored