Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
this is a fairly good video that is generally fair even if I don't like everything said in it. (not liking the truth doesn't change the truth!) It sounds like from the end this was before the range test video that is in another thread.

I'm still concerned about so many videos and reviews that we are told aren't using production software, but given that there have been customer deliveries now, I'm not sure that's true for this specific vehicle? seems like an unknown right now.

there is an incorrect factual statement though - standard range is not 150 KW, it's 115 KW. I understand it never got to close to even that, but it's important to be accurate here especially when using that as a basis for criticism.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Cold fingers are in issue with touchscreens, hope that it is not too extreme and obvious. Some reviewers praise the touchscreen, just doesn,t seem standard across
I thought this too. I'm withholding my thoughts until I get to use it, if only because I find MFT in my Fusion to be very responsive (except for Nav searches, which are a bit pokey) and people keep saying all over the Internet that MFT is slow and terrible, and that just does not match my experience...

everyone praises UConnect and I find the voice controls inexcusably fundamentally broken, and the whole system looks like a child with a crayon designed it to me...

and the Tesla infotainment, when I rented a Tesla Model S, was borderline unusable on some basic stuff, and of course it crashed repeatedly on me taking the dash too.

so I don't put a lot of weight at this point into what anyone else says about infotainment, because I've learned the Internet doesn't know wtf it's talking about on that topic.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
this is a fairly good video that is generally fair even if I don't like everything said in it. (not liking the truth doesn't change the truth!) It sounds like from the end this was before the range test video that is in another thread.

I'm still concerned about so many videos and reviews that we are told aren't using production software, but given that there have been customer deliveries now, I'm not sure that's true for this specific vehicle? seems like an unknown right now.

there is an incorrect factual statement though - standard range is not 150 KW, it's 115 KW. I understand it never got to close to even that, but it's important to be accurate here especially when using that as a basis for criticism.

Yep, I echo your thoughts. Pretty fair overall and you can't blame him when he has experienced charging issues and a laggy screen. I'm hoping those are easily correctable.

As for the handling comments. We know they have a Tesla Model Y Performance. I'm ok if the Premium Mach-E isn't quite as sporty as that -- if that is the comparison. I wouldn't expect it to be. And I'm encourage by others that really liked the handling. In the end, we all need to do our own test drives to make that judgement for ourselves.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I guess I am going to have to watch the video to see the list....
Will try and remember to look up this thread when I have time to watch something.

theblueone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Audi e-tron
Country flag
I'm sorry, is that screen (at 7:50) showing 80% charge and 79 mile range?

I know he's driving the smaller battery pack, 4wd, in the mountains, and in -1F weather, but that's alarming to me. Even though he says that he hasn't felt any battery anxiety, if I saw those numbers I sure would.

Edit: he addressed this later. I'm still keeping my extended range model.

Last edited:

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Great vid. Thx’

1. Dying to hear whether sync is better than his experience. Disappointing.
2. Dying to hear whether EA, et. al. and plug and play is better than his experience. Disappointing. Will they ever be good?
3. Also wish he had been able to drive ex range model. In addition to range, it provides more driving experience, torque and hp, no? I need ex range bc we often take 200 mi. regional drives.
4. Can’t do Tesla. I need: Apple CarPlay, Sirius xm, looks, build quality!!!, service availability (good part about a dealer network), all the other MME vs Tesla reasons honestly ... I generally have a 120 mi rt commute. (Also I know Tesla recently added adaptive cruise (finally!) but I’ve been using it daily for many years in my 2015 Fusion Energi.)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'm sorry, is that screen (at 7:50) showing 80% charge and 79 mile range?

I know he's driving the smaller battery pack, 4wd, in the mountains, and in -1F weather, but that's alarming to me. Even though he says that he hasn't felt any battery anxiety, if I saw those numbers I sure would.
the range video on the other thread with @TFLtommy and his father does a more complete job of addressing range, and in this one, he explains that it's pessimistic in his experience.

we know Ford has told us that it's very dynamic based on your driving style as well as other things - so while I also saw that, and thought, "wait, wat?", I'm not sure in retrospect it's TOO much worth worrying about. Watch the other video.

theblueone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Audi e-tron
Country flag
Interesting video. I am pretty satisfied with what I heard, it seems fair enough and I continue to be hopeful that my test drive experience will keep me happy enough to go through with the sale.

One thing that he said that I want to publicly disagree with (as a matter of subjective opinion): This is a worse choice than the Model Y because the hardware is better but the software and charging network aren't as good? As a mechanical engineer I may be biased, but I totally disagree with this logic. TFL is absolutely entitled to his opinion, but until Tesla can replace leaky body panels with an OTA update I will be basing my decision on physical build quality 100 times out of 100.

Yes, you have to make a sacrifice on one or the other. Yes, I think a good, non-distracting UI is important when you're directing two tons of metal across the ground at 80 mph. Yes, I think ease of charging is a major decision point. However, I can reasonably expect that those systems will improve over time as the technology and infrastructure mature. Tesla's overall QA may improve over time (then again, maybe not? That's a different discussion), but if I buy a specific car with gaps in the body panels or swirls in the paint they're not going to go away after a few weeks/months/years.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I use voice commands almost exclusively in my escape, and the hard switches on the steering wheel or the volume control knob occasionally to adjust volume. I’m honing that Sync 4A has as robust and rich a voice control experience as advertised so I don’t have to mess around with the screen too much.
Sponsored