krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Just do what I do . . . have 5 or 6 YouTube tabs open at the same time with all the videos you want to watch later . . . that 4 hour one may be there awhile . . .
The buttons on the Mach E steering wheel seem a little small to me...
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Auto translates and look at the charging curve they got.

Don't really need to auto translate, just scan forward until you see them plug in.

Saw one charging at 160kW.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Auto translates and look at the charging curve they got.

Not super surprised to see errors on that Efacec charger, they're garbage. Even EA is ripping out their Efacec units just months after putting them in and replacing them with more reliable equipment vendors.

Ionity seems to prove that it's worth the price premium for reliability and speed, but they're nearly exclusive with one vendor (Tritium) which I'm sure helps their reliability.

Alpitronic seems to have made huge market share gains in the last year with those Hyperchargers shown in the video popping up all across Europe, but seemingly with poor reliability as well. The EnBW Hyperchargers both had errors (though the Shell one worked), and in some of Bjorn's videos from Norway he's come across broken Hyperchargers on Fortum (I think, might have been Gronn Kontakt) up there, including one Hypercharger that errored and he noted the smell of burning plastic!

The older 50 kW ABB chargers that don't display charge rate are excused for the terrible old screen, IMO, but when vendors buy new 150-350 kW ABB Terra HP chargers and equip them with that terrible little screen I am sad. EA at least insists on the huge easy to read screen on their ABB units.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Also, in a Tesla you can control just about everything with voice commands - seat heating, wipers, glove box, music, trunk, etc. I tried many of these commands with the Mach-E and they did not work. Seems like Mach-E is limited to the traditional stuff like phone and nav. The Tesla also displays what it heard you say on the screen, which is really useful. The Mach-E does not.
I can't speak to your experience because you experienced what you experienced, but I can speak to what MFT - Sync 2 - can do, and Sync 3 can do, and thus I'm sure Sync 4 can do, if you know how - you can set climate, you can do music. In fact Sync 1 was doing voice-controlled music selection before most cars had any kind of "infotainment." even my gf knows has to do Sync voice to an extent - nav selection and SiriusXM channel selection, and she kind of refuses to learn any of it. ;)

you can't do the glovebox because it has a typical manual button for that. wipers have a normal stalk switch like a regular car so again voice really can't do it - it's a physical switch. same with the lights for that matter.

the frunk isn't electrically releasable today but we know that's coming. the trunk, I bet, will be at some point...

but - and now I'm about to be opinionated vs. just explaining what Sync 2/3 can factually do - I don't ever expect to yell at my car to open the trunk. nav and music, yes, because that's the fastest way to do those things... but the trunk? that just makes you a dork, taking the time to day "Hey Ford, open the trunk" or whatever when there's an easily reached button.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The public charging network here is worse than our neighbour, don't hold your breath for that. If you do 500 plus road trip a lot and this is the only car at home, Model Y is a better choice. And this is the part I still debating, I am hoping I can use MME for road trip, I use plugshare to plan a trip from Vancouver to Montreal, oh boy, it's very challenging and will be a stressful trip.
Well charging network here in Quebec is pretty reliable except of course most of it is only 50 kW but improving and sufficient for my trips within Quebec. I've tried planning a trip to Banf Alta, and it was not that bad especially with the Petro Canada Transcanadian charging network. Has far has getting a Model Y no thank's to many quality issues, difficulty getting service (even when new)despite these Tesla's are suppose to be almost service free, difficulty getting replacement parts and service in case of accident or else not to mention poor paint and assembly quality has Elon his pushing them by the thousands regardless of quality just to make the target numbers he likes so much, and customer is paying for that. I would much prefer a Kia Niro EV has my second choice to the MME much before a Tesla despite their tech quality.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Don't really need to auto translate, just scan forward until you see them plug in.

Saw one charging at 160kW.
That's great! CCS is the dominant charging network in Europe. May be the EU CCS are better and more stable than the CCS EA fast chargers in the US where (I assume) they weren't used much until recently. Porsche Taycan and Audi e-Tron were the only cars that could use the 350 KW chargers if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes! My apologies. Thanks for sharing this vid!!
Hi @TFLtommy , thanks for the videos! I think I have watched all your videos on Mach-e.
You did rate the Mach-e better for ride quality vs. Model Y. What exactly did you compare?

I am most interested in road noise and vibration aspects. I remember, in the early days of Model 3, someone was doing vibration tests with a glass full of some liquid and some other very pseudo-scientific methods to show that Model 3 had a very bumpy ride. Tesla had to do some adjustments to improve the ride in later cars.

I also know that one reason why Tesla cars (at least in EPA claims) go farther is that they are pretty bare bone and lack noise insulating material like foam to lower road noise. I know some Model S owners claim the interior is as noisy as the outside. As Model S owners are usually rich and likely came from luxury cars, some of them spent thousands of dollars to de-noise their cars. Probably that means adding some noise insulating foams to the underside and body panels.

Incidentally, I am driving a car now that is super quiet inside. When I first got the car, my wife would complain that the horn is not loud and is weak. I then used the horn with open windows while parked on the driveway. She realized the horn is as loud as any we had! On the underside, there is a layer of foam that pretty much cuts down most of the road noise. Though I haven't used any decibel meter yet, it is significantly quieter than other average cars.

So, my question is if Mach-e road noise is better than Model Y? I don't remember if you made a video to measure road noise with some sound meter. If you or anyone else has done a test, can you post the link? I'm very interested in this. Though I guess once the cars are in dealer lots, I can go for a test drive. That may be few months.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The review was enjoyable but problematic with respect to the charging and the center console. Of course if you're given a vehicle to review that's the vehicle you have to review, not some other mythical vehicle. On the other hand, charging and the console will clearly be works in progress, so spending a ton of time on them seems a waste of time at best and misleading at worst. If the production vehicles have the same issue that will be entirely different.

Doing a pre-production release is always problematic. You want to get something out, but it takes a great deal of time to tie ends up and get something release ready. Consequently what normally happens is that the complaints and feed back have usually been addressed.

When the production vehicles are out, which is happening now or in the very near future, we'll have a much better idea. But even then there will be this problem:
so I don't put a lot of weight at this point into what anyone else says about infotainment, because I've learned the Internet doesn't know wtf it's talking about on that topic.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Sorry, I don't get any translation. What country & language is this? Can someone write a short summary for this in English? TIA.
Hi @TFLtommy , thanks for the videos! I think I have watched all your videos on Mach-e.
You did rate the Mach-e better for ride quality vs. Model Y. What exactly did you compare?

I am most interested in road noise and vibration aspects. I remember, in the early days of Model 3, someone was doing vibration tests with a glass full of some liquid and some other very pseudo-scientific methods to show that Model 3 had a very bumpy ride. Tesla had to do some adjustments to improve the ride in later cars.

I also know that one reason why Tesla cars (at least in EPA claims) go farther is that they are pretty bare bone and lack noise insulating material like foam to lower road noise. I know some Model S owners claim the interior is as noisy as the outside. As Model S owners ar usually richer and likely came from luxury cars, some of them spent thousands of dollars to de-noise their cars. Probabylythat means adding some noise insulating foams to the underside and body panels.

Incidentally, I am driving a car now that is super quiet inside. When I first got the car, my wife would complain that the horn is not loud and is weak. I then used the horn with open windows while parked on the driveway. She realized the horn is as loud as any we had! On the underside, there is a layer of foam that pretty much cuts down most of the road noise. Though I haven't used any decibel meter yet, it is significantly quieter than other average cars.

So, my question is if Mach-e road noise is better than Model Y? I don't remember if you made a video to measure road noise with some sound meter. If you or anyone else has done a test, can you post the link? I'm very interested in this. Though I guess once the cars are in dealer lots, I can go for a test drive. That may be few months.
kyle and other people talk about wind noise in other videos. you will find all you want to know here. Everyone pretty much says the mache is quieter by a lot. Hince tesla going to the double-pane window.
But videos coming out this week are saying that it didn't fix the wind noise at all but helped with keeping the heat in which tesla has had complaints about that before.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/videos-compilation-mach-e-first-drive-reviews.2350/

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I'm sorry, is that screen (at 7:50) showing 80% charge and 79 mile range?
He did say the range estimate was unreasonably pessimistic. Plus recent driving can have an outsized impact on estimated range.
Can someone write a short summary for this in English? TIA.
I think the point would be where the MME is being charged at 160 kW, 10 kW faster than it should have. No idea how long that rate lasted for.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
@TFLtommy just got around to watching your video and thank you, it was informative. Hopefully the issues you experienced were due to it being pre-production and have been resolved on customer builds.

I got a question for you that I hope you might answer. You list in your profile that you have an i3 and a Model Y. Hypothetically, if both of these were leases that were ending now and you were about to be without a car, would you get another i3, Model Y, or switch to a Mach-E and why?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

I also know that one reason why Tesla cars (at least in EPA claims) go farther is that they are pretty bare bone and lack noise insulating material like foam to lower road noise. I know some Model S owners claim the interior is as noisy as the outside. As Model S owners are usually rich and likely came from luxury cars, some of them spent thousands of dollars to de-noise their cars. Probably that means adding some noise insulating foams to the underside and body panels.

What vehicle do you have that you are using as your benchmark?

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
In the Mach-E I drove, the infotainment was ok but I would like more speed and the option to remove the animation to accelerate it. Wireless CarPlay didn’t worked yet (it was showing but no apps were displayed on screen). I’m afraid that it will be slower in a couple of years after many updates like any computer/phone.

One of the drawback I had that I forgot was that the voice command were activating for nothing at random times even if we said nothing remotely close to « ok Ford ». It was configured in French and of course it was a pre-prod unit (I had it for 2 hours on December 2)
Sponsored