BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I think the point would be where the MME is being charged at 160 kW, 10 kW faster than it should have. No idea how long that rate lasted for.
Maybe the Ionity charger is displaying the charge power being dispensed, not the charge power entering the battery, and the heater, coolant pumps, etc. might be accounting for some of the difference? Or maybe this is a slight signalling issue with the car and the pre-prod software? Unless somehow the EU cars do go beyond the announced 150 kW.
Sponsored

Reactions: DBC

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
That's great! CCS is the dominant charging network in Europe. May be the EU CCS are better and more stable than the CCS EA fast chargers in the US where (I assume) they weren't used much until recently. Porsche Taycan and Audi e-Tron were the only cars that could use the 350 KW chargers if I am not mistaken.
As I understand it, EA's issues boil down to being in a massive rush to avoid prosecution, and stretching themselves too thin.

To get enough chargers fast enough, EA went to 4 different charging station vendors, had all 4 of them develop 3 different variants of their chargers for them (1 CCS + 1 CHAdeMO, 2x 150 kW CCS, 2x 350 kW CCS), adapt them to have a gigantic screen with a common GUI, forced all 4 vendors to work with the same credit card reader who they don't normally work with (card reader required for the consent decree, notice how Chargepoint, etc. don't add them because they don't have to), and all 4 vendors to write software that worked with a common app and backend.

Now the problems with that rush are apparent, they had to do huge SW updates over and over and over again from all 4 vendors. It got so bad for EA that they went back and ripped all their Efacec chargers out of the ground after just 1-2 years of use, and replaced them with the Signet chargers.

Ionity went to one vendor, Tritium, for one variant of their CCS-only equipment at first, and then transitioned to a custom dispenser from that same manufacturer later.

EA now seems to have standardized on Signet and developed a seemingly custom EA version of Signet's latest chargers. Hopefully this is a sign they've calmed down and really are focused on reliability.

1610080556009.png

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Maybe the Ionity charger is displaying the charge power being dispensed, not the charge power entering the battery, and the heater, coolant pumps, etc. might be accounting for some of the difference? Or maybe this is a slight signalling issue with the car and the pre-prod software? Unless somehow the EU cars do go beyond the announced 150 kW.
I don't think that the MME is charging at 150 kW. I'll go with your former explanation though 10 KW would a lot of overhead.

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Car Reviewer (of sorts haha!)
Country flag
Hi @TFLtommy , thanks for the videos! I think I have watched all your videos on Mach-e.
You did rate the Mach-e better for ride quality vs. Model Y. What exactly did you compare?

I am most interested in road noise and vibration aspects. I remember, in the early days of Model 3, someone was doing vibration tests with a glass full of some liquid and some other very pseudo-scientific methods to show that Model 3 had a very bumpy ride. Tesla had to do some adjustments to improve the ride in later cars.

I also know that one reason why Tesla cars (at least in EPA claims) go farther is that they are pretty bare bone and lack noise insulating material like foam to lower road noise. I know some Model S owners claim the interior is as noisy as the outside. As Model S owners are usually rich and likely came from luxury cars, some of them spent thousands of dollars to de-noise their cars. Probably that means adding some noise insulating foams to the underside and body panels.

Incidentally, I am driving a car now that is super quiet inside. When I first got the car, my wife would complain that the horn is not loud and is weak. I then used the horn with open windows while parked on the driveway. She realized the horn is as loud as any we had! On the underside, there is a layer of foam that pretty much cuts down most of the road noise. Though I haven't used any decibel meter yet, it is significantly quieter than other average cars.

So, my question is if Mach-e road noise is better than Model Y? I don't remember if you made a video to measure road noise with some sound meter. If you or anyone else has done a test, can you post the link? I'm very interested in this. Though I guess once the cars are in dealer lots, I can go for a test drive. That may be few months.
What a question! I didn’t have a chance to measure it but SUPER quiet compared to the Tesla when driven back to back. IMHO night and day.

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
@TFLtommy just got around to watching your video and thank you, it was informative. Hopefully the issues you experienced were due to it being pre-production and have been resolved on customer builds.

I got a question for you that I hope you might answer. You list in your profile that you have an i3 and a Model Y. Hypothetically, if both of these were leases that were ending now and you were about to be without a car, would you get another i3, Model Y, or switch to a Mach-E and why?
Hey Ark! You know personally I just don’t drive that much beyond my local town, and for me size and nimbleness are a big factor. Given that our i3 was just $12K (used) that’s the vehicle I’d park in my garage. I’m a strong believer that range is extremely overrated for 90% of folks. It’s hugely important for selling cars, and certainly the folks in silicon valley love to brag about it, but I really think that for most it’s a non issue. You are never EVER going to convince someone 65 miles of range is plenty but for me (and I believe most) it is more than enough.

Keep in mind i’m in a stage in my life though where family hauling capabilities just aren’t that important, and for that the Tesla and Mach E are really strong.

I think that you guys are going to love the Mach E. Is it as strong on paper as the Tesla? In some ways no. But we don’t drive cars on paper. I lust and dream about some truly terrible 1960’s British cars that are probably less reliable (and slower) than riding the bus. But cars are an emotional decision. Regardless on how it competes with Tesla, it’s a really cool car. And I think for those in the discussion on this forum you’re in the loop, you’re educated and you’re in for a treat!

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What vehicle do you have that you are using as your benchmark?
Well I kind of have to take my ev enthusiasm out of it for the reviews. Look if you’re on this forum you are truly an enthusiast compared to 99.9% of car buyers, and you know what you’re getting into.

My benchmark, unlike most of the EV centric channels and media outlets, is the average consumer who has been driving ICE for the past 40 years. I have to be realistic in the current charging infrastructure. The sad reality for most is that the non Tesla charging network is a mess. If you’re on this forum, you’re so early to the EV game that you are most likely going to be willing to persevere through the hurtles to get your charge in. I wouldn’t stress too much.

And yes other EV centric outlets do promote the DC fast charging infrastructure but that’s because they’ve spent years negotiating it, and they know the secrets and they have the contacts to help if things go off the rails. But for someone like my mom, the first issue at a DC fast charger she’ll look past it. The second time and her next car will be powered by dino juice.

So that’s my perspective, and that’s why I don’t go crazy in depth with the numbers on the vid because a lot of our average ICE viewership either doesn’t understand, or doesn’t want to understand the electric car thing. Let’s get people to get the fact they can charge at home (yes even that is a challenge) before we tackle charging curves and peak rates.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
you're super cool. glad you joined your dad's show... he can be funny, but i appreciate your balanced analyses and view points. dad has a bit more trouble hiding his biases...or maybe he's purposely showing some (maybe fake ones?) to create more discussion?

in any case, cool of you to join and participate on this forum!

Hey Ark! You know personally I just don’t drive that much beyond my local town, and for me size and nimbleness are a big factor. Given that our i3 was just $12K (used) that’s the vehicle I’d park in my garage. I’m a strong believer that range is extremely overrated for 90% of folks. It’s hugely important for selling cars, and certainly the folks in silicon valley love to brag about it, but I really think that for most it’s a non issue. You are never EVER going to convince someone 65 miles of range is plenty but for me (and I believe most) it is more than enough.

Keep in mind i’m in a stage in my life though where family hauling capabilities just aren’t that important, and for that the Tesla and Mach E are really strong.

I think that you guys are going to love the Mach E. Is it as strong on paper as the Tesla? In some ways no. But we don’t drive cars on paper. I lust and dream about some truly terrible 1960’s British cars that are probably less reliable (and slower) than riding the bus. But cars are an emotional decision. Regardless on how it competes with Tesla, it’s a really cool car. And I think for those in the discussion on this forum you’re in the loop, you’re educated and you’re in for a treat!

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Well I kind of have to take my ev enthusiasm out of it for the reviews. Look if you’re on this forum you are truly an enthusiast compared to 99.9% of car buyers, and you know what you’re getting into.

My benchmark, unlike most of the EV centric channels and media outlets, is the average consumer who has been driving ICE for the past 40 years. I have to be realistic in the current charging infrastructure. The sad reality for most is that the non Tesla charging network is a mess. If you’re on this forum, you’re so early to the EV game that you are most likely going to be willing to persevere through the hurtles to get your charge in. I wouldn’t stress too much.

And yes other EV centric outlets do promote the DC fast charging infrastructure but that’s because they’ve spent years negotiating it, and they know the secrets and they have the contacts to help if things go off the rails. But for someone like my mom, the first issue at a DC fast charger she’ll look past it. The second time and her next car will be powered by dino juice.

So that’s my perspective, and that’s why I don’t go crazy in depth with the numbers on the vid because a lot of our average ICE viewership either doesn’t understand, or doesn’t want to understand the electric car thing. Let’s get people to get the fact they can charge at home (yes even that is a challenge) before we tackle charging curves and peak rates.
now there is a well-written piece. Thumbs up. enjoyed this very much. Good job Tommy boy.

Ford Mustang Mach-E TFL's Love and Hate list of Mach-E after a week of driving 1610082692119

macheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic '06
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Enjoyed the video, and it further increased my conviction for getting the Mach E. I have ordered the exact same model\configuration. I was happy to hear him say that the SR is more than enough for regular driving, which is what I intend on doing. This is my first EV and so many reviews are range, range, range that I was kind of getting nervous about not ponying up for the bigger battery.

All the criticisms from the video I already had accepted in as things I'm OK with being inferior to Tesla. This is already way more than I would ever spend on a car, so the cost savings of Mach E Vs Tesla really help tip the scales.

Someone may check my math but here is how I have it penciled in before taxes (CA buyer)

MSRP Premium SR AWD$51,200.00
Incentives-$2,500.00
Xplan-$800.00
California Fuel-$1,500.00
CA EV-$2,000.00
Fed EV-$7,500.00
TOTAL$36,900.00

Build date scheduled next week!

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
now there is a well-written piece. Thumbs up. enjoyed this very much. Good job Tommy boy.

Ford Mustang Mach-E TFL's Love and Hate list of Mach-E after a week of driving 1610082692119
Ha thank you sir! Just this movie for the first time a couple weeks ago. Chris Farley was a true genius per usual, but couldn’t get over that poor Plymouth GTX ;)

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Enjoyed the video, and it further increased my conviction for getting the Mach E. I have ordered the exact same model\configuration. I was happy to hear him say that the SR is more than enough for regular driving, which is what I intend on doing. This is my first EV and so many reviews are range, range, range that I was kind of getting nervous about not ponying up for the bigger battery.

All the criticisms from the video I already had accepted in as things I'm OK with being inferior to Tesla. This is already way more than I would ever spend on a car, so the cost savings of Mach E Vs Tesla really help tip the scales.

Someone may check my math but here is how I have it penciled in before taxes (CA buyer)

MSRP Premium SR AWD$51,200.00
Incentives-$2,500.00
Xplan-$800.00
California Fuel-$1,500.00
CA EV-$2,000.00
Fed EV-$7,500.00
TOTAL$36,900.00

Build date scheduled next week!
Wishing you luck! Come on Ford! For the love of god can we get these things out of parking lots and into peoples driveways?? How long have some of you all been waiting? Some true patience of unprecedented levels on this page

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
kyle and other people talk about wind noise in other videos. you will find all you want to know here. Everyone pretty much says the mache is quieter by a lot. Hince tesla going to the double-pane window.
But videos coming out this week are saying that it didn't fix the wind noise at all but helped with keeping the heat in which tesla has had complaints about that before.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/videos-compilation-mach-e-first-drive-reviews.2350/
I've seen that video. Wind noise from my own car is just one thing. There are also noises from my own car's tires, and noises from other cars on the road, besides any rattles & squeaks from the car one is in.

What vehicle do you have that you are using as your benchmark?
Honda Clarity fuel cell. I am sure there are cars quieter than this.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wishing you luck! Come on Ford! For the love of god can we get these things out of parking lots and into peoples driveways?? How long have some of you all been waiting? Some true patience of unprecedented levels on this page
see you hard to start it didn't you. after we calmed the wolf pack down you throw a steak in the middle of the pack. here come the wolves now.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you have time. how about the tesla model y RWD announced tonight. Price wars are coming. what are your thoughts on it?

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
if you have time. how about the tesla model y RWD announced tonight. Price wars are coming. what are your thoughts on it?
I’m super surprised they ended up doing it. Didn’t musk come out and say they weren’t going to launch a new car with sub 300 miles range?

That guy has to have the fastest, cheapest, longest range, and more seats than anything on the market. The dude just needs to take a nap.
Sponsored