Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm actually surprised that tommy didn't think the MME was "fun to drive"; almost every review has stated that it is. I guess it is subjective, but it seems a little surprising. To each his own, but I accept everything tommy says about the car as a relatively fair assessment of his experience. Roman shows his hand, so I recognize his negatives as being exaggerated. The fact that he says the MME is the first car that can really compete with Tesla speaks volumes.

The charging problems actually make me feel better. The fact that they couldn't L2 charge any better than DCFC says there was something wrong with that car. That leads me to believe the DCFC failures are not as bad.
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I think Tommy’s dad shoots from the hip far too often when he’s speaking. Tommy tends to put some thought into what he says which has more of a balancing/proper perspective effect. I would bet that accounts for flaws in their testing structure and whatnot. On the whole it is informative but comparing a vehicle you’ve been driving for months versus a pre-production vehicle (which they never mention once) you get for 7 days is important information for the consumer. Tommy does a pretty good job of providing context which is something Kyle Connor does very well.

Also I realize Ford made its own bed by calling it a Mustang, but nothing about the Mustang name drew me to this vehicle personally other that good styling. The styling, thoughtfulness into details, being an AWD vehicle for winter months (my in laws are in MN) and possibility for greatness drew me to the MME. Also I call it the Mach e. I never refer to it as a Mustang.

I’m switching to an EV because I drive 40-60 minutes a day on most days in Denver, so an ICE is just not necessary for me. I’ve had my Mini Countryman for three years and have 22,000 miles on it (4,000 of which came in the last 3 months driving back and forth to Memphis for emergency family trips). So when Ford releases the normal Mach e before the GT, and in a crossover style, that makes sense from a business strategy sense. Tommy’s dad can’t get past a moniker and his idea to release the GT is totally ignorant of how vehicle sales have been trending for almost a decade now including theMustang itself whose sales have not done well along with cars in general. All of which is to say, his shooting from the hip lacks depth and nuance which Tommy tends to give. Honestly I could live without his dad on any of these videos.
Hate to say it because I am one, but Tommy needs to say “OK Boomer”

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I'm actually surprised that tommy didn't think the MME was "fun to drive"; almost every review has stated that it is. I guess it is subjective, but it seems a little surprising. To each his own, but I accept everything tommy says about the car as a relatively fair assessment of his experience. Roman shows his hand, so I recognize his negatives as being exaggerated. The fact that he says the MME is the first car that can really compete with Tesla speaks volumes.

The charging problems actually make me feel better. The fact that they couldn't L2 charge any better than DCFC says there was something wrong with that car. That leads me to believe the DCFC failures are not as bad.
hard to compare when the other model is the performance model y. I guess when the mache gt comes out. let's compare it to the ID4 standard. That seems like about the same math right? lol Ludacris

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm actually surprised that tommy didn't think the MME was "fun to drive"; almost every review has stated that it is. I guess it is subjective, but it seems a little surprising.
Just a hunch since I'm normally never driving in ice or snow, but could it be the road conditions that detract from the fun?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just a hunch since I'm normally never driving in ice or snow, but could it be the road conditions that detract from the fun?
Also a good point

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
hard to compare when the other model is the performance model y. I guess when the mache gt comes out. let's compare it to the ID4 standard. That seems like about the same math right? lol Ludacris
I'm going to compare my Mach-E to my old all terrain bicycle that is in my shed that hasn't been ridden in over 20 years.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm going to compare my Mach-E to my old all terrain bicycle that is in my shed that hasn't been ridden in over 20 years.
At least make it a fair comparison and change out those old bicycle tires.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
They really need to figure out what the lag is in the charging systems. This keeps coming up.
I spent a good bit of time operating the screen on two Premium E4X Infinite Blues and a Premium E4X Shadow Black. I never found any lag in the screen. Mind you, it was cool but humid, so I didn't have the dry finger issues that can really crop up in Colorado.

On screen and charging, this was a late pre-production model, built in 9/2020. It won't have all the updates and final configurations.
Ford Mustang Mach-E TFL's Love and Hate list of Mach-E after a week of driving Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.09.43 PM

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
the only issue I have with TFL is that they are testing a pre-production car and did not note that in their video, just about all the issues he stated is not in the production car ..

overall ok review just hope they get a production version because everything he does not like was because it’s a pre-production car..
Also ChargePoint, EVGo and EA combine trumps Tesla SC network so don’t know what he is talking about their are more US “locations” with just the top 3 CCS networks combine than Tesla SC locations in the US
Let's also keep in mind that EA just fired up the Plug & Charge last month. These issues of communicating with EA chargers may be more of an EA issue than a Ford issue. Time will tell but at least that's another software item.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
A couple of things that he got wrong:

1. The extended range battery option gives a lot more than just more range:
-- Better performance: 80 more horsepower that keeps the acceleration pushing past sixty. and improves the 0 to 60 time by almost a half second, (4.8 seconds).
-- Faster Charging: Only the Ford Mustang Mach-E Extended Range models are capable of ultra-rapid charging at up to 150 kW DC. The Standard Range models only have 110 kW DC chargers.

2. The buying process: It is a different process with the Mach-E; while you can go into the dealer and do the negotiation thing, why would you want to? Instead, with the Mach-E, you just go onto Ford's website, configure your car, (Select or Premium; 4wd or 2wd; standard battery or long-range battery; pick your color) and you get your price. If you choose to order one, you are asked to put down a deposit using a credit card. and that is it. You do have to pick a dealer, but that is more for delivery location.
As much trouble as many people on this Forum have had with dealers, I'll definitely give that point to Tesla as far as buying is concerned. The Tesla sales people know their vehicles and aren't going to ignore you in favor of an ICE customer or try to sell you an ICE when you walk in to buy a BEV.

Of course, as soon as you need service, Tesla either has long waiting lists for service or may be a long way away.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Simplifying the code base is likely a major ongoing effort for Ford, GM, Toyota, VW, etc. It always makes me chuckle when people say "Telsa is a software company, but old car company X isn't. They'll struggle with OTA".
Most legacy automakers historically have not written their own code, those 100 million lines of code are contained in discrete systems that they buy from suppliers. Tesla was the first to write all the code in the vehicle in an integrated manner...others are moving to that too.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I sat in two Mach-Es at a Mach-E event recently and I found the voice control wanting relative to Tesla. In one car the voice control for the the nav really did not work at all - it could not find a McDonalds or Home Depot nearby (in northern NJ)! The other car did better, but it was slow relative to Tesla. I have no idea why they were different.

Also, in a Tesla you can control just about everything with voice commands - seat heating, wipers, glove box, music, trunk, etc. I tried many of these commands with the Mach-E and they did not work. Seems like Mach-E is limited to the traditional stuff like phone and nav. The Tesla also displays what it heard you say on the screen, which is really useful. The Mach-E does not.

I did not notice and lagginess in the Mach-E screen, but i do think the Tesla screen is a little more responsive.

So (IMHO) advantage Tesla.
I agree with the point about what systems the voice command operates. It is limited to infotainment, HVAC, and navigation. I hope OTA updates will provide voice control to more: Hey Pony, go Unbridled!

The pre-production units used in the Mach E Road Show didn't have fully-functional navigation searches. I trust that ours will be better.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Wishing you luck! Come on Ford! For the love of god can we get these things out of parking lots and into peoples driveways?? How long have some of you all been waiting? Some true patience of unprecedented levels on this page
Yeah, many of us have reservations dating back to the night of the release in November 2019. It has been a long wait indeed! Good thing is mine is built and on its way. A month from now I hope to be driving it!

Thanks for the videos @TFLtommy. Glad to have your take on the car and even happier you've joined the conversation here.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I don't think there's any evidence that Ford's OTA infrastructure is up and running yet - no journalist has recorded getting an update anyway.

It's possible those media cars *are* out of date, and that the OTA infrastructure isn't ready/activated, or that the "fixed" software just isn't ready yet but will be in the coming days.

It's also possible that it's just a lot of us wishfully thinking that things will be different by the time we buy our own cars. :p
Actually, I was talking to the guys running the Mach E Tour for the DC area stops (and many others before that). They had been getting OTAs regularly. That system was still being implemented/tested/improved in November.
Sponsored