Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Razorbak86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1150GS, Lexus RX-450h
Country flag
this is long, but if you cut out the "not a Mustang" parts, it's a much more easily digestible 3-4 minutes long.
Every time people debate the merits of choosing the Mustang badge, Jim Farley smiles at the earned media :cool:, and a Mustang angel gets its wings.?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sorry, I missed this earlier. It does matter to know how past rollouts happened, to learn how these improved over time.
How many people are going on a long road trip right after getting the car? My guess is very few.
But if you are going on a long trip right after getting your car, then your situation is different and I understand your stance. Anyone buying a first-year model knows there are some kinks that get ironed out over time.
I'll be testing mine fast. Car is scheduled to arrive in early February and we leave for Florida in late February.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
One comment that was somewhat surprising to me. Around the 40 min mark (if you were able to hang on that long), they mentioned they had plugged the MME into their JuiceBox EVSE at home, and the car wouldn't charge. Next, they used the MME's own L2 charger and plugged it directly into the 240v NEMA outlet, and it still wouldn't work. Instead, they had to charge it at their office. They said they charge all of their EVs and Hybrids on that home plug / JuiceBox and never had any problems. I'm a little concerned because I bought and installed a JuiceBox 40. Again, I know this was a pre-production model so I'm hoping it's an anomaly, but still.....

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One comment that was somewhat surprising to me. Around the 40 min mark (if you were able to hang on that long), they mentioned they had plugged the MME into their JuiceBox EVSE at home, and the car wouldn't charge. Next, they used the MME's own L2 charger and plugged it directly into the 240v NEMA outlet, and it still wouldn't work. Instead, they had to charge it at their office. They said they charge all of their EVs and Hybrids on that home plug / JuiceBox and never had any problems. I'm a little concerned because I bought and installed a JuiceBox 40. Again, I know this was a pre-production model so I'm hoping it's an anomaly, but still.....
Like someone previously noted, that sounds like good news. If it had problems even charging at L2, it almost has to be a problem with that specific preproduction car.

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
It looks like their specific vehicle had many issues. Tom tested all major chargers for functionality and they all worked on his test vehicle which also worked at an EA plug and charge station. The more I’ve see the issues with TFL the more convinced I am it was their specific vehicle. Also I have the juice box 40 as well so I’m hoping it is their vehicle too haha.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Is it possible that they were playing around with the screen and accidentally setup a charge schedule for their location?

If they did perhaps it thought it wasn't time to charge.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You should see Tom Molougney's video I posted in previous page. He charged with some NLX? juicebox (9.20 min).

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Is it possible that they were playing around with the screen and accidentally setup a charge schedule for their location?

If they did perhaps it thought it wasn't time to charge.
good point....perhaps

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
It looks like their specific vehicle had many issues. Tom tested all major chargers for functionality and they all worked on his test vehicle which also worked at an EA plug and charge station. The more I’ve see the issues with TFL the more convinced I am it was their specific vehicle. Also I have the juice box 40 as well so I’m hoping it is their vehicle too haha.
Im thinking it was the specific car too...hopefully.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Man his dad just can't let it go.

His dad just can't let it go. There should also be a disclaimer at the start of the video. I know Tommy kept saying it, but when you compare the performance aspect of it they are two different models.
The model Y they have clearly says on it "performance". Each time his dad kept saying the drive is so much funnier and performance is better in the "tesla". No, the statement is in an 11,000 dollar more performance model that is not equal to the other.
I understand you have to test what "ford sent you". But also as a reviewer and not just a video for fun. To be taken as a creditable source you leave the performance aspect out.

No Tommy's dad the disclaimer is you tested the top of the line model Y vs the lowest performance model mache. So in the end need to point that out as your son does. I don't mind his dad being a big fan of the Telsa that's great. It's the misleading of where in some parts you forget to point of the difference. At the end of the video when you do your likes and dislikes, you really can't compare the speed take-off and any other performance aspects. Kinda needed to be left out of the video.

Like comparing different ATV models or anything.
The range is next. We don't know the true range of either of the comparable models yet. We have a few small videos to go off of where the mache went over the amount. One in Europe. His dad said 20%. save comment for later when the two models are on the road and the true mileage road test is done.

Again we understand they had to test what they had. But since your dad was sooooooooooooo proud of his statement of how easy it still is to go to the Tesla service center. Then why not go right down there and get a long-range model y. I mean you are doing reviews right and want to do the best job you can right? Tesla makes it so easy so couldn't have done that?

So if your ho-hum on the ford dealer aspect, then we as video viewers also should be ho-hum on your videos as a credible reviewer. You went half-hearted. It goes both ways, and I see your son's body language and tone showed that.
I read Car and Driver and MotorTrend magazines quite a bit. They do a fair amount of comparison articles where the manufacturer sends them a vehicle to use in their test, if they don’t have a car that they need already in their long term fleet (which is usually the case).

Sometimes manufacturers send test vehicles that are a higher trim, have a better engine, or some other upgrade than what was requested by the editors. The editors disclose this unwanted change to their test, that they requested a certain trim but the manufacturer sent them a more expensive vehicle.

I’ve found that more often than not when this happens, despite the disclosure, the editors nevertheless tend to favor the overspecced vehicle in the comparison and rate it more favorably because at the end of the day, the more expensive car is often the better car. I suppose it’s good for the consumer that all versions are being sent to the press, but from a favorable publicity point of view, Ford would have been better off sending only ER AWD Premiums to reviewers.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Im thinking it was the specific car too...hopefully.
Almost guaranteed really. Probably not the home charger given the circumstances.

Honestly Ford was in a no win scenario here. Put off customer production to make the media production cars and FCTP or use preproduction models. And try as you might they’re never going to be quite right. The reviewers have to talk about what they have not what might be. I’m actually a bit surprised that the percentage of reviews was overwhelmingly positive given all the circumstances. I think that actually bodes quite well for the production models.

Just my 2 coppers worth. I’ve been known to be wrong.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Almost guaranteed really. Probably not the home charger given the circumstances.

Honestly Ford was in a no win scenario here. Put off customer production to make the media production cars and FCTP or use preproduction models. And try as you might they’re never going to be quite right. The reviewers have to talk about what they have not what might be. I’m actually a bit surprised that the percentage of reviews was overwhelmingly positive given all the circumstances. I think that actually bodes quite well for the production models.

Just my 2 coppers worth. I’ve been known to be wrong.
You are correct.

Not much concern about L2/L3 charging. There are literally hundreds of preproduction Mach-e vehicles that are driven a minimum of 8 hrs/day, and have done so since mid-2020. If L3 charging concerns (or L2) was anything more than a fun topic to discuss on the interwebs, then you wouldn't see any M-plate vehicle photos of cars out on the road. Those cars are primarily DCFC'd EVERY DAY. Do some have charging issues/software bugs? I think we know for sure they do.

For those worried about L2, Fusion Energi has out there since 2013. I think Ford has sorted "that L2 thing" out in the last 8 years.

Y'all can back down to DEFCON 1, I assure you.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
Also, this needs to be stated also. Are we comparing the very first-tesla model made. The mache is fords first true gound up BEV. You're comparing an updated over the air how many times model y vs a none production model. How about we go back and compare the first tesla coming off the line and the problems it had compared to what the mache might have.

No that would be smart and make sense. So disclaimer we are comparing a way different model vs a none production model that is fords first bev vs tesla 4th BEV.
Hope everyone can understand that. We give tesla the chance to make all the models better over the air and upgrades to model y, double pane glass, and so on and so on but not to ford.

That is also a major problem with the video.

Where was that statement? but people will take and run with it.
Good points.

One thing I noticed is that dad kept talking about how Tesla is a software company and that Ford is a car company with clunky software. If we take his analogy, then Tesla should leave car making to legacy manufacturers and stick to only the software side since they are good at that and not building cars.

I for one have yet to find the perfect anything -- except for my favorite B&J ice cream. So I expect 'some' flaws but nothing so major that it makes the investment useless or a terrible experience.
Sponsored