Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
  • Banned
I don't know if that is just my unit or all Grizzl-e's are born that way. Mine often (but not always) produces errors when disconnecting from the car. It's either a charging fault (amber light) or accidental disconnect message in the FordPass. Naturally, I stop the charging before disconnecting. I even check the meter every time to make sure it shows no current if flowing to the car. I never had that problem with ChargePoint, so I suppose it's specific to Grizzl-e.
Does your Grizzl-e behave?
Sponsored

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Never had a problem with mine, even if disconnected when charging.
if you push the release button on the cable plug you should hear the contact open on the EVSE, the charge light on the port should change( donā€™t remember what they do I just know they change), then a couple more sounds from contacts in the vehicle.
i donā€™t wait the half second it takes to do all that when disconnecting but maybe your button isnā€™t sending the disconnect signal.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I don't know if that is just my unit or all Grizzl-e's are born that way. Mine often (but not always) produces errors when disconnecting from the car. It's either a charging fault (amber light) or accidental disconnect message in the FordPass. Naturally, I stop the charging before disconnecting. I even check the meter every time to make sure it shows no current if flowing to the car. I never had that problem with ChargePoint, so I suppose it's specific to Grizzl-e.
Does your Grizzl-e behave?
I have had absolutely zero issues with my Grizzl-E going on 5 months now. If I want to stop charging I either hit it from the app or I click the button on the plug and wait for it to turn off before I pull it out. I rarely have to tell it to stop charging though.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
2 Grizzl-E classics out in the garage. Never had a charge fault when unplugging. I do get an ā€œaccidental disconnectā€ some nights when the charge reaches its max setting. But I donā€™t thing thatā€™s the EVSE so much as FordPass wondering why the charge stopped.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
In the morning, I do remote start and then take the grizzl-e cable out about 10 mins later without hitting any other buttons in FordPass or car. It has never faulted when removing the cable. Like mentioned above, the button on the cable should be signaling to both sides that a disconnect is happening.

I actually have two grizzl-e ā€” the classic avalanche outside for summer and a duo in the garage during winter.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
On the J1772 plug, two of the large pins (at the top) are the AC power and the third big pin is the ground. Those 240v AC pins are disconnected to keep you from getting electrocuted or having any arcing when connecting/disconnecting.

One of the small pins is the "proximity pilot" and it tells the car that it is plugged in. It basically uses very low voltage (far too low for anyone to get a shock) to detect when the car is plugged in (it connects to the ground ... only when the car is plugged in). But.... it ALSO goes through the release button on the charge handle.

When you press the button to release the charger handle it breaks the circuit for the proximity pilot and this tells the car that it is being disconnected and the car tells the EVSE to stop giving it power. The EVSE will disengage the relay that connects the AC power to the car and you'll hear the relay "click". There's a very short delay ... maybe 1/2 second (I don't think it's even a whole second). But once you hear the click, the AC power is no longer flowing ... no risk of a shock or arcing.

If you immediately pull out the plug *before* it can throw that relay ... then I can imagine that would result in an error. But if you wait for the click and then pull the plug you should be fine.

I typically press the button on the plug, wait about 1 second, and disconnect it.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Mine doesn't. The only thing is it is really tight putting it in and taking it out of the car. Maybe that slows me down enough for the disconnect signal to work in time.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I yank mine out (hardwired Avalanche edition) without pressing the disconnect button every day, and have never had a charge error or fault of any kind, either in the car or the Grizzl-e. Maybe I should be pressing the button, but it doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary, and if yours is erroring out a lot then it sounds like an issue with the unit.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I yank mine out (hardwired Avalanche edition) without pressing the disconnect button every day, and have never had a charge error or fault of any kind, either in the car or the Grizzl-e. Maybe I should be pressing the button, but it doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary, and if yours is erroring out a lot then it sounds like an issue with the unit.
no that button next to the charge port is for fast charger unlocking. You should definitely be pushing the button on the handle though lol

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
no that button next to the charge port is for fast charger unlocking. You should definitely be pushing the button on the handle though lol
Ah, lol, yes! I do push the trigger button on the handle to remove from the car, my yank is somewhat dismissive, but not full on violent!

OP
OP
RedStallion

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Sounds like my unit is faulty. Too late to return though.
It doesn't happen always. When the car stops charging on schedule I can remove the handle without any issues. But if I stop charging either by pushing the button on the handle or from the app then there will be an error on disconnect. Interesting that if I press the button on the handle the charging stops, but as soon as the button is released the car starts charging again.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It doesn't happen always. When the car stops charging on schedule I can remove the handle without any issues. But if I stop charging either by pushing the button on the handle or from the app then there will be an error on disconnect. Interesting that if I press the button on the handle the charging stops, but as soon as the button is released the car starts charging again.
Give them a call, they were very responsive when I called with install questions

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Probably under warranty still.
Sponsored