sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Some other fun facts to make the waiting time go by since this is in my wheelhouse... there are three "speed limits" that trains have to abide by:
  1. Maximum Authorized Speed (MAS): The maximum speed the train could safely travel on flat tangent (straight) track.
  2. Permanent Speed Restrictions (PSR): The maximum speed the train could safely travel on a specific section of track based on a permanent attribute of the track geometry (e.g.: up or down a hill, around a tight corner).
  3. Temporary Speed Restrictions (TSR): The maximum speed a train could go through a section of track based on temporary conditions (e.g.: a work crew is working on or near the track, rock slide, etc.).
That 50 mph they referenced is the MAS. And as you pointed out, the engineers have an "hours of service" requirement that they can drive for any 24 hour period.

Also, when within a city space, freight trains are more likely to share trackage with passenger transit agencies. In that scenario one company is the "host" and one is the "tenant". That varies for each city, but typically, the host's trains are given priority, so for example, a freight train might have to wait for a passenger train to pass.

Also unless the train is composed of only individual cars (train cars) that are going to the end destination (in my case New Castle, DE) they might go into a rail yard to 'reshuffle' the cars in the train.

So all of this can result in much slower train service than we want when they have our cars on them.

Here's a fun photo of myself doing track work in a "hyrail" car (a pickup truck with train wheels on it that can only get on or off the tracks at grade crossings) in double track territory having to wait for an Amtrak high speed Acela train to pass on the neighboring track. It's a little nerve-wracking to sit in the truck seeing a train come towards you from the distance at 120 mph where you can't visually be 100% sure that it's on the neighboring track and not yours until it's pretty much already next to you, lol.

1616079839592.png
Very interesting! So, was my assumption about "half" the maximum speed (25mph) about correct, would you guess?
And, what are typical hours of service for trains like these?

That's a nervewracking job. ?

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Very interesting! So, was my assumption about "half" the maximum speed (25mph) about correct, would you guess?
And, what are typical hours of service for trains like these?

That's a nervewracking job. ?
That's a tough question to answer because there are so many variables. Based on your specific example, the "average" speed was about 6 mph based on the distance from KC to DE over 9 days. In reality it varied from 50 mph to stopped and waiting. Probably closer to 50 mph between cities and closer to 25 mph within cities... plus stops.

While I'm more familiar with passenger service, the FRA regulates hours of service. It's a complicated overall requirement, but to simplify, it's about 12 hours in one shift. You can see the details in 49 CFR 211 (specifically in Section 21103): https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg...CODE-2011-title49-subtitleV-partA-chap211.pdf

And there have certainly been nerve-wracking times. In that specific example, in my head I knew that the train was going to be on the other track, but that didn't stop me from keeping one hand on the door and my seat belt off, lol.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
That's a tough question to answer because there are so many variables. Based on your specific example, the "average" speed was about 6 mph based on the distance from KC to DE over 9 days. In reality it varied from 50 mph to stopped and waiting. Probably closer to 50 mph between cities and closer to 25 mph within cities... plus stops.
Right, there are a lot of variables. For instance, I don't know when the train actually left -- for all I know, it could have taken 3 days and only left on the 15th (9 days is the time from delivered to Voltz Ramp to arriving in Wilmington). I was mostly curious if the freight trains can actually travel somewhere north of 10-15 mph :) Good to know!

NotSoJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Mustang Mach-E reservation holder
Country flag
I just called KCS and they said it was going to be in Loredo for a border crossing today. I REALLY hope that they meant it was going BACK to Mexico and not just about to cross into the US today. Maybe the lack of Palsapp update was correct o_O

UPDATE: Of course, just after I posted this I happened to recheck Palsapp (which I already did this morning with no update) and it updated! I guess that's another reference point that however long it took to get back to the border from KC is about how long it took for my car to get moved by truck.

1616074073416.png
I am in a similar position as you. My build/ship date was end of January and palsapp has shown nothing for a month and a half. Just today it changed to the March 18th deliver date to norfolk but with a different trip number. Does anybody know what generally happens from here? Will palsapp update again when it's on a truck or another train? I was hoping I'd have the car by now given I'm two weeks over my ETA, but happy to see some signs of life.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I am in a similar position as you. My build/ship date was end of January and palsapp has shown nothing for a month and a half. Just today it changed to the March 18th deliver date to norfolk but with a different trip number. Does anybody know what generally happens from here? Will palsapp update again when it's on a truck or another train? I was hoping I'd have the car by now given I'm two weeks over my ETA, but happy to see some signs of life.
What's your palsapp say? Given that you're in Chicago, I'm surprised they don't just deliver it there via truck from KC. I think that happened to one other owner in here.

NotSoJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Mustang Mach-E reservation holder
Country flag
What's your palsapp say? Given that you're in Chicago, I'm surprised they don't just deliver it there via truck from KC. I think that happened to one other owner in here.
Same thing as Cheil, just different trip number, freight and vin. Given mine seems to have been delayed a bit, I'm wondering if the assembly line is back in order. I certainly will update if and when I see any movement.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Palsapp is just for the trucking company. Typically this is updated when the cars move between trains at Kansas City (as what happened with you an me) as they are moved between nearby rail yards via truck. If they are not the company that moves your car from the end of the second train trip to your dealer, then no more Palsapp updates and somewhat of an information black hole until it shows up unless you want to get an updated VV report from your dealer with a new train number and call the train company.

The only exception as @sockmeister pointed out is if Ford decided you live close enough to Kansas City where it was just easier to deliver your car to your dealer directly by truck and skip the second train ride.

bdesatnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 BMW i3, 2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E AWD ER
Country flag
Something I noticed is that the date at the bottom middle of the window sticker changes periodically. I have been checking it daily.

Before yesterday, the date showed 03/09/2021 - yesterday, it changed to 03/17/2021. I wonder if that date change indicates that the barcode is being scanned at the various transfer points along the route??

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Something I noticed is that the date at the bottom middle of the window sticker changes periodically. I have been checking it daily.

Before yesterday, the date showed 03/09/2021 - yesterday, it changed to 03/17/2021. I wonder if that date change indicates that the barcode is being scanned at the various transfer points along the route??
It's more likely related to the server which generates the window sticker. Has been discussed before. It's meaningless, as @generaltso mentioned.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Man, I wish I could fly a drone or something at the Wilmington train yard and see if they are unloading the cars yet. Once they get on a truck it is only 2.5 hours to my dealer, although I am sure there will be other dealer stops ahead of mine.

My dealer told me they will need the car for a full day to do the recalled bolt check and then do a full fresh detailing of the car. If it doesn't get to my dealer by early tomorrow I will probably have to wait until next week to pick it up. So so close now....

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Man, I wish I could fly a drone or something at the Wilmington train yard and see if they are unloading the cars yet. Once they get on a truck it is only 2.5 hours to my dealer, although I am sure there will be other dealer stops ahead of mine.

My dealer told me they will need the car for a full day to do the recalled bolt check and then do a full fresh detailing of the car. If it doesn't get to my dealer by early tomorrow I will probably have to wait until next week to pick it up. So so close now....
I think we're in the same boat (train??). I am about an hour from the railyard, so our cars would probably be delivered by the same truck, on the same day!

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I think we're in the same boat (train??). I am about an hour from the railyard, so our cars would probably be delivered by the same truck, on the same day!
Hope the same here... I'm north if Baltimore. So it should be a quick exchange!

The race is on.

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
I'm going to my dealer tomorrow morning to test drive their FCTP car. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some info about my car then. I know nothing past the delivery to the Voltz ramp on 3/8.

ktgeek

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10FusionHybrid,'18Expedition, RapidRed MME AWD eR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Being in the Chicago area, which should be the short truck ride...

Since I've been watching the palsapp API closely for a week or so, I'm starting to think its either full of lies, really prone to being fat fingered on their side, or they are just swamped in cars and are doing the best they can. I'm trying really hard to be a good person and believe its the last one.

Examples:

o Earlier this week I had two entries for my car, one without a TripNumber, one with. I'm back down to one. I've had the TripNumber come and go all week.

o Other data the web ui doesn't show, like "PariedDate" has changed a few times, including this morning where it changed to this morning, and this afternoon it jumped back to the original date of 3/14.

o Then there is a "DispatchDate" on there of the 3/15... but without any documentation of what it means I think my idea of being Dispatched and theirs is vastly different.
Sponsored