The built in navigation system is no longer free after the first three years??

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
After setting up connected services i noticed that the Navigation system services are complimentary for a three year trial period. Does anyone know what they charge for this after the trial period? With all the free alternative navigation options why would they charge for this?

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 7.28.05 AM.png
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
After setting up connected services i noticed that the Navigation system services are complimentary for a three year trial period. Does anyone know what they charge for this after the trial period? With all the free alternative navigation options why would they charge for this?

Ford Mustang Mach-E The built in navigation system is no longer free after the first three years?? Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 7.28.05 AM
This is the same as many other cars on the road with built in navigation systems. You won’t get traffic updates or any real-time information after it expires. Frankly with most everyone having a smart phone these days I don’t see the need to subscribe. Waze is my go to and is nicely integrated with CarPlay.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Ford previously ended it after about 90 days on older vehicles with built-in services. I was very pleased to see three years. On our new 2021 GMC, all ended after 90 days also.

However, we use Android Auto for just about everything. So no concerns.

BradCA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Lexus CT200h
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E The built in navigation system is no longer free after the first three years?? Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 7.28.05 AM
No big deal. CarPlay works better and it’s free.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This has been discussed in many threads here. Ford hasn't yet announced what will happen at the end of 3 years. Remember there are 3-year periods to multiple systems. Ford decided not to bother charging for some past systems that were supposed to charge after a few years. I suspect we won't know the real answer to this for a couple of years.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. It just seems like a weird business model. As you have all pointed out there are so many great free alternatives. Why nickel and dime your customers for something they can get elsewhere for free? My main issue is that the onboard app is the only one I found so far that incorporates charge stations that can be used on the cars screen. I don’t think any others work through car play. I assume that feature would be free for life?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thanks. It just seems like a weird business model. As you have all pointed out there are so many great free alternatives. Why nickel and dime your customers for something they can get elsewhere for free? My main issue is that the onboard app is the only one I found so far that incorporates charge stations that can be used on the cars screen. I don’t think any others work through car play. I assume that feature would be free for life?
Remember there will be multiple systems that rely on updates. By the end of the first 3 years, we may see a subscription that not only covers simple navigation but also everything up to BlueCruise.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
My main issue is that the onboard app is the only one I found so far that incorporates charge stations that can be used on the cars screen. I don’t think any others work through car play. I assume that feature would be free for life?
The rumors are that an OTA will add battery pre-conditioning before reaching chargers when on long trips which need chargers. This will let your battery charge faster for longer, which will reduce overall charge times. So for long trips, using the built-in navigation (or FordPass app) to plan your chargers will actually be the best way to road trip. AA or CarPlay is just fine for shorter or daily use though when you aren't adding chargers.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Another important point regarding your original post: the built-in Navigation is excellent for mapping out the route and calculating all of your needed charging stops. It does better than ABRP IMHO.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another important point regarding your original post: the built-in Navigation is excellent for mapping out the route and calculating all of your needed charging stops. It does better than ABRP IMHO.
I agree. I just don’t like the idea of this subscription fee. I don’t remember any mention of that in any of the material I read concerning the car before I ordered it or in the year and a half since then.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Because those "free" alternatives are free because they show you advertisements, or make money off you by tracking/selling your data.

The maps and traffic information Ford puts in isn't free to them. So I'm not sure nickel and dime is correct. It's more of limiting loss. They also wouldn't want to suck up the cost of maps/traffic for people that don't even use it because those customers are using "free" alternatives.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because those "free" alternatives are free because they show you advertisements, or make money off you by tracking/selling your data.

The maps and traffic information Ford puts in isn't free to them. So I'm not sure nickel and dime is correct. It's more of limiting loss. They also wouldn't want to suck up the cost of maps/traffic for people that don't even use it because those customers are using "free" alternatives.
I understand your point but the ability to locate and plan charging stops on a long distance drive is a critical tool for anyone who owns a EV. Im curious, does Tesla charge its customers to use that tool?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I agree. I just don’t like the idea of this subscription fee. I don’t remember any mention of that in any of the material I read concerning the car before I ordered it or in the year and a half since then.
Actually, there were definitely footnotes about the Fordpass network and Nav/connectivity being free for a limited time in at least the brochure or the web site.. I can't remember exactly where

KBahn

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD ER, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I understand your point but the ability to locate and plan charging stops on a long distance drive is a critical tool for anyone who owns a EV. Im curious, does Tesla charge its customers to use that tool?
$10 a month for “Premium Connectivity “…. Which means cellular rather than WiFi only…
Sponsored