The built in navigation system is no longer free after the first three years??

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I don’t find that to be the case.
I really like that the built in nav gives you your next step on the screen behind the wheel. It’s lacking with CarPlay.
For some reason, this does with with Android Auto, though. I see the directions right on the head up display.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I don’t find that to be the case.
I really like that the built in nav gives you your next step on the screen behind the wheel. It’s lacking with CarPlay.
Just get an Android phone :p The feature was announced with much fanfare at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in 2016, it has not worked in any of the vehicles I have driven since then, although I have only driven a limited number of models. On the other hand, all of them showed turn-by-turn directions in the instrument cluster for Android Auto.

For some reason, this does with with Android Auto, though. I see the directions right on the head up display.
It has worked in every single vehicle model I have driven so far that is compatible with Android Auto. At first I thought the lack of turn-by-turn instructions in the instrument cluster when using CarPlay was a Honda issue, after purchasing my van four years ago, but later found out it is much more widespread.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
But it fails to mention any specifics about what happens after 3 years down in the "asterisks" area (disclaimers), like it does for all the other services. The traffic is not provided by SiriusXM (or at least not through their satellite services), it's done using the connected services (built-in modem). Does the navigation quit entirely? or does it just stop getting the "connected" features and map updates? Hopefully Ford will release that info before the 3 years is up!
Ford isn't providing specifics on the cost because it's very likely that they haven't decided yet. But they have said that the Nav will continue to function for the life of the vehicle, and it's just the connected services that will require a subscription, such as real-time traffic and cloud-based routing.

18:10

Return of the Mach

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
It has worked in every single vehicle model I have driven so far that is compatible with Android Auto. At first I thought the lack of turn-by-turn instructions in the instrument cluster when using CarPlay was a Honda issue, after purchasing my van four years ago, but later found out it is much more widespread.
I have been using Google Maps on Android Auto to get the turn-by-turn directions in the "instrument cluster" screen. To your knowledge, does this work with Waze on Android Auto as well?

I was a big time Wazer in the past, but I have been very impressed so far with Google Maps in the MME and I might convert.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have been using Google Maps on Android Auto to get the turn-by-turn directions in the "instrument cluster" screen. To your knowledge, does this work with Waze on Android Auto as well?

I was a big time Wazer in the past, but I have been very impressed so far with Google Maps in the MME and I might convert.
I don't use Waze regularly, mainly because I prefer a more traditional look of maps, and sometimes I walk or use public transit in cities where Google Maps is more useful. But I have tried Waze from time to time, and it does include turn-by-turn directions in the metadata Android Auto sends to vehicles. Early on Waze tried to cram too much into the display, which was counterproductive because screens in cars were generally much further away than one would normally hold a phone and the earlier screens weren't so big and had modest resolutions, but lately Waze looks just fine in my van. Now that Google has finally allowed 3rd party navigation apps in, I would expect turn-by-turn instructions to show up in the instrument cluster for them as well. At least when I tried TomTom AmiGo, it worked as expected.
Sponsored