Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I had the same thing happen on Saturday. I let it run for over 9 hours because I was terrified of the scary 'abort' messages. Everything is reading green now so I think it figured itself out behind the scenes. What version should the IPMA be updated to?

FWIW, I use the Mongoose.
IPMA took for ages (+2 hours) on a Job1 car i did 2 weeks ago. And FDRS did crash the first try. Reboot laptop fixed the issue as FDRS did finish after the second try. Scary ? yes ! Especially when the laptop was rebooting and the car was still in download mode...
Good to know I’m not the only one!

My IPMA module is now showing as ML3T-14H102-ABS if that helps :)

Everything worked out ok in the end….

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) DDFAAD1D-8741-4A17-8713-DED374D00A2D
Sponsored

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Interesting. I assume that all of the OTA updates wil fail for my car since all the modules have already been updated at this point. I did get the BlueCruise email after doing the final GWM and APIM updates.
The 2.4.3 OTA update failed, so it looks like that's how it's handled when you get an OTA for modules that are already up to date. It seems like it would be cleaner to just not queue the update at all so that users don't get alerted, but that doesn't seem to be what happens.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Today i flashed all modules on my GT, boy that took forever. About 6 hours.
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) Screenshot 2022-03-23 164550

All errors cleared after flashing but left 1 in error. Does anyone know how to clear this ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) Screenshot 2022-03-23 164432

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) Screenshot 2022-03-23 164021

Only one update left in SW Updates this time:

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) Screenshot 2022-03-23 164201

I did flash this module twice without any error, so it must be a glitch in the matrix.

waltermorel

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) Screenshot 2022-03-23 164201

All errors cleared after flashing but left 1 in error. Does anyone know how to clear this ?

Same here.

I did flash this module twice without any error, so it must be a glitch in the matrix.
Same here ?

dsheib

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD SR, Ducati Multistrada 1200S
Country flag

PSCM remains for me as well.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
FWIW, I contacted the support for the VCX Nano, and reported the issue with the Cruise Control Module, and sent them the logs where it failed. And they said a fix will be included in its next firmware update. No ETA yet on it, but its nice to know there is at least someone supporting it.

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag

PSCM update was leaving the version at -AK. As of yesterday if you connect to the vehicle and run the network test it will change the version to -AM and clear your update list.

The VDM DTC has been there for a few weeks. Sometimes it clears but usually it shows up as a continuous DTC. Even if it clears it will show up again. The DTC was there before the VDM update so it wasn't cause by the updates you performed.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
So.. I have started doing some updates, and it went well until it did not.. This post is kind of work in progress and don't really expect anything, just hoping for someone to have seen something similar or that I find a solution and can share it in case it happens to anyone else.

I did a test with the GSM module first, and it went smoothly until trying to clear error codes where FDRS got stuck and started crashing. I did manage to clear the codes using Forscan and no issues after that, update confirmed. Now a few days after (probably should have seen the FDRS crashing as a hint) I did update PCM and related modules (think Off-board charging and one other module), no issues at all.. but then tried Cruise Control Module/CCM, and it crashed after about 10-15 steps (block 1). The FDRS app just closed, and the car rebooted with lots of errors. The module reports to FDRS as invalid data (purple indicator) with error message of programming failed, any self-test will just fail with the same error.

The good thing is that I can restart the process, and it will happen again, but some time at step 6 other times even as late as step 50 (of 250something). The car is driveable, just without cruise control and safety features.

After a few failures I did the HVAC update with no problems at all, so there is something different about this CCM update. The previous updates would just drop the voltage slightly on the 12V, but this one seems to drop all the way to just above 12V. In my first attempt I had 25A power connected, connected an additional 6A and it still failed, but with some tweaks to the config it went further, so it might be an issue with the 12V power. But, even after connecting 50A and having the voltage above 14V it still failed, but seems to have went further, with a new record of over 30 steps (previous 12). However, next try it failed after 6, and mostly around 10.. It seems to be taking about 36A from external power during update

My attempts to troubleshoot this has led me to that it might be the driver for the J2534 adapter (a cheap one) that seems to be part of the failure (kind of expected). Trying to figure if the adapter is actually crashing and causing the update to fail or something.

Right as I am writing I am trying with another computer, completely reinstalled FDRS and everything on a more recent laptop on a clean Windows 10 (previous was also a clean Windows 10 btw)..

First attempt went to somewhere above 50 blocks and it actually said with a dialog that it failed (different from crashing and closing), and the car restarted (last time it failed with a dialog I had to reboot with 12V disconnect to get it running again), and it asked to try again, I said no to that, but continued on the CMR/driver camera module (the useless module for us in EU btw) update. Now it is at 15000 of 16439 on that update, which is like 15000 more than the CCM update, so it is clearly something different about the CCM. As I have to do the CCM and the IPMA (not looking forward to that) anyway for the CCM I might just try to skip the CCM and go for those first.

First edition, the dealer 21P22 (or whatever it was called) has been run by dealer previously. OTA is at 1.6.0

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
So.. I have started doing some updates, and it went well until it did not.. This post is kind of work in progress and don't really expect anything, just hoping for someone to have seen something similar or that I find a solution and can share it in case it happens to anyone else.

I did a test with the GSM module first, and it went smoothly until trying to clear error codes where FDRS got stuck and started crashing. I did manage to clear the codes using Forscan and no issues after that, update confirmed. Now a few days after (probably should have seen the FDRS crashing as a hint) I did update PCM and related modules (think Off-board charging and one other module), no issues at all.. but then tried Cruise Control Module/CCM, and it crashed after about 10-15 steps (block 1). The FDRS app just closed, and the car rebooted with lots of errors. The module reports to FDRS as invalid data (purple indicator) with error message of programming failed, any self-test will just fail with the same error.

The good thing is that I can restart the process, and it will happen again, but some time at step 6 other times even as late as step 50 (of 250something). The car is driveable, just without cruise control and safety features.

After a few failures I did the HVAC update with no problems at all, so there is something different about this CCM update. The previous updates would just drop the voltage slightly on the 12V, but this one seems to drop all the way to just above 12V. In my first attempt I had 25A power connected, connected an additional 6A and it still failed, but with some tweaks to the config it went further, so it might be an issue with the 12V power. But, even after connecting 50A and having the voltage above 14V it still failed, but seems to have went further, with a new record of over 30 steps (previous 12). However, next try it failed after 6, and mostly around 10.. It seems to be taking about 36A from external power during update

My attempts to troubleshoot this has led me to that it might be the driver for the J2534 adapter (a cheap one) that seems to be part of the failure (kind of expected). Trying to figure if the adapter is actually crashing and causing the update to fail or something.

Right as I am writing I am trying with another computer, completely reinstalled FDRS and everything on a more recent laptop on a clean Windows 10 (previous was also a clean Windows 10 btw)..

First attempt went to somewhere above 50 blocks and it actually said with a dialog that it failed (different from crashing and closing), and the car restarted (last time it failed with a dialog I had to reboot with 12V disconnect to get it running again), and it asked to try again, I said no to that, but continued on the CMR/driver camera module (the useless module for us in EU btw) update. Now it is at 15000 of 16439 on that update, which is like 15000 more than the CCM update, so it is clearly something different about the CCM. As I have to do the CCM and the IPMA (not looking forward to that) anyway for the CCM I might just try to skip the CCM and go for those first.

First edition, the dealer 21P22 (or whatever it was called) has been run by dealer previously. OTA is at 1.6.0
What OBD adapter you using?
I’m guessing you are using a VCX nano?

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Its a VXDIAG clone, SVCI J2534. PSCM update succeeded on second attempt. Now it started crashing in CCM before step 5 again, and just went really slow. Wondering if there are some cold bugs or something. Strange that it was able to run 20 000 steps updating PSCM, but it fails to do 250 on CCM.

PeeKay

First Name
Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Its a VXDIAG clone, SVCI J2534. PSCM update succeeded on second attempt. Now it started crashing in CCM before step 5 again, and just went really slow. Wondering if there are some cold bugs or something. Strange that it was able to run 20 000 steps updating PSCM, but it fails to do 250 on CCM.
Yes, VXDiag clones have issues with CCM. This has been discussed here as well as on the F150 forums. If you have ForScan, you may be able to flash CCM using that cached firmware files in FDRS.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Yes, Forscan was able to program the CCM using ODBLink EX adapter with no issues, now the question is what version it actually did write and if I got it correctly. The module is now alive again at least! Thank you for pointing me in that direction

Edit: Got the previous version but seems to have changed one up on the calibration level. Everything on the car works now as before.

Question, if someone knows: Can IPMA be updated without updating CCM? It is the IPMA update I want (bug fixes for lane centering crashing (not literaly)), I don't really care about CCM since it probably is just Bluecruise stuff (which we will never ever get in EU area). I can probably pay the dealer for the half hour it should take to do the CCM update if I can isolate it and not have to pay the 4 hours it takes for IPMA.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) 1648328180374

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) 1648328232950

Last edited:

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Yes, Forscan was able to program the CCM using ODBLink EX adapter with no issues, now the question is what version it actually did write and if I got it correctly. The module is now alive again at least! Thank you for pointing me in that direction

Edit: Got the previous version but seems to have changed one up on the calibration level. Everything on the car works now as before.

Question, if someone knows: Can IPMA be updated without updating CCM? It is the IPMA update I want (bug fixes for lane centering crashing (not literaly)), I don't really care about CCM since it probably is just Bluecruise stuff (which we will never ever get in EU area). I can probably pay the dealer for the half hour it should take to do the CCM update if I can isolate it and not have to pay the 4 hours it takes for IPMA.

1648328180374.png

1648328232950.png
IPMA update is part of a series that cannot be done individually.
I know that the mongoose cable is quite expensive, but at least it just works.
It is FDRS that sometimes just crashes. (reboot laptop fixes this)

The drop of voltage is something i also had during IPMA flashing on my GT. Somehow it dropped from 14.3 to as low as 11.2 !! And this was with a 30 Amps charger connected. That charger worked overtime.

After the IPMA flash i first waited for the battery to come back up to at least 13.

I guess i need to have a more heavy charger.....

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
My supply was drawing just over 40 amps while doing IPMA
Dang that is hefty. I didn’t take any current readings on my update but doing IPMA on my MME a few days ago pulled my battery voltage down from a steady 12.7 to 12.1. After that, I did a 2A trickle charge overnight to refresh the battery and continued with updates.

I was using a 20A maintainer and now understand why that’s just not enough.
Sponsored