Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Here is a stupid little trick that helps out if you have a laptop that is a little to eager to go to sleep - visit https://nosleep.page/ which has only one purpose - keep your computer awake. It is quite clever, as long as it is open on a tab somewhere your computer will refuse to go to sleep. Nice for long updates.
Sponsored

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Here is a stupid little trick that helps out if you have a laptop that is a little to eager to go to sleep - visit https://nosleep.page/ which has only one purpose - keep your computer awake. It is quite clever, as long as it is open on a tab somewhere your computer will refuse to go to sleep. Nice for long updates.
I've just adjusted my Settings to be 'Never' but the laptop I use is dedicated to using FDRS. That may not work for everyone I realize.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) nosleep.PNG

My laptop:

8F3200AB-B54D-4929-AAF3-8B3DDA9A97FC.jpg

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
it is porcelain stone, now a little dirty from the rainwater.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) IMG_20220429_070554
#jealous

Not sure I like cars so close but love a finished garage that looks better then what I have in my house.

RedDeadRegen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red GT-PE, Premium ER RWD (sold), mk7 GTI
Country flag
Just finished my update run for my Job 2 Prem4x. (Built late December of 2021)

No issues. Updated RFA, HVAC,WACM, OBCC, BECM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC, SOBDM, PCM, ABS, IPMA, CCM, and CMR (some of them as paired/chained updates). Now have a beautifully blank screen of available updates.

SOBDMB initially didn't register as successful and asked if I want to try again; based on the very short time it took upon re-run, it definitely applied fine the first time. OBCC initally hung around under SW Updates, but it cleared when restarting FDRS. As noted prior, the chain of IPMA/CCM/CMR updates took a loooooooong time. The Clore power supply was a champ. Just got back from a test drive and nothing untoward; nearest BlueCruise highway is I-182 over in Tri-Cities, which I should drive through this weekend. (That said, ADAS was working fine.)

Thanks to the thread for all the details... now to see how that updated charging curve works on this weekend's road trip!
By chance did these updates give you any increased DC charging speed above 80%? My car is from a similar build date, and since I don't have the tools I'm going to try to give my dealer tech a detailed instruction list of what updates to look for and install.

walla2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Prem ER AWD, 2017 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Clergy
Country flag
By chance did these updates give you any increased DC charging speed above 80%? My car is from a similar build date, and since I don't have the tools I'm going to try to give my dealer tech a detailed instruction list of what updates to look for and install.
I didn’t end up having a chance to test - the hotel I stayed at last weekend had sufficient access to L2 EVSEs (I was worried there wouldn’t be enough charging time), but all indications from others on the forum are that it does.

Perhaps another Job2 updater can weigh in.

Jambler

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD STD RANGE, Build 3/21, Gray
Occupation
Web
Country flag
Thanks for all this great information.

Just successfully completed 11 hours of updates and Handsfree BlueCruise is now working on the I-95 highway! Job 1 (Mach 2021 Build) stuck on 1.7.1.

I now have much more sympathy for the dealer techs. That was 11 hours with constant baby sitting. It had already been to the dealer for two previous rounds of updates.

Things used:
- Note for safety you should use 30 amp and up. I had a 20A power supply from amazon. Car voltage went down to 12.4 so sure to turn off the headlights. They keep coming back on. Note if you have an older and slower connector the longer data transmission times and draw of some updates could drain the battery.
- Mongoose-Plus Ford 2. Worked great!
- Windows 10 home with fresh install on SSD, all virus/firewall turned off
- 400 Mbps internet over WIFI. Tested first on direct ethernet cable to make sure FDRS worked.
- 2 day FDRS license

Things noticed:
- Not for the faint of heart. There are many details to be figured out. I thought it all did not work at first, but it was just the Ford servers being down for a couple of hours.
- Following the TSBs is essential. Particularly 21G01-S1 (of course previously install as needed CSP 22B08, TSB22-2150, 21P22). Your needs and results may vary :) And there were earlier TSBs which might be needed.
- New updates keep loading in. Be sure to follow the order in the TSB. Some have to be tried more than once to get them to "take". Be sure to "reload" FDRS and check the next morning for more.
- The final APIM update had to be installed several times before it "took". Waited a day to retry and then it finally installed. Not sure if intentional or not.
- I then installed all miscellaneous updates so that none were left. (dealers advise against of course)
- I restarted the windows computer after every three to four updates to prevent crashes, cause I'm ODC.

Best of luck out there!

Last edited:

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag

Just successfully completed 11 hours of updates and Handsfree BlueCruise is now working on the I-95 highway! Job 1 (Mach 2021 Build) stuck on 1.7.1.

I now have much more sympathy for the dealer techs. That was 11 hours with constant baby sitting. It had already been to the dealer for two previous rounds of updates.

Things used:
- 20 amp power supply from amazon. Car voltage went down to 12.4 at the lowest so it was OK. Be sure to turn off the headlights. They keep coming back on. 30 amps is of course safer.
- 400 Mbps internet over WIFI. Tested first on direct ethernet cable to make sure FDRS worked.
- 2 day FDRS license

Things noticed:
- Not for the faint of heart. There are many details to be figured out. I thought it all did not work at first, but it was just the Ford servers being down for a couple of hours.
- Following the TSBs is essential. Particularly 21G01-S1 (of course previously install as needed CSP 22B08, TSB22-2150, 21P22). Your needs and results may vary :) And there were earlier TSBs which might be needed.
- New updates keep loading in. Be sure to follow the order in the TSB. Some have to be tried more than once to get them to "take". Be sure to "reload" FDRS and check the next morning for more.
- The final APIM update had to be installed several times before it "took". Waited a day to retry and then it finally installed. Not sure if intentional or not.
- I then installed all miscellaneous updates so that none were left. (dealers advise against of course)
- I restarted the windows computer after every three to four updates to prevent crashes, cause I'm ODC.

Best of luck out there!
Wow, that's good to hear you had success with a 20 amp power supply. That's what I've been using but have been wary to try larger updates. Did you also need a USB to do some of the updates?

Jambler

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web
Country flag
Wow, that's good to hear you had success with a 20 amp power supply. That's what I've been using but have been wary to try larger updates. Did you also need a USB to do some of the updates?
Yes, needed a USB. Most updates are now via USB with configuration via the direct connection.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Things used:
- 20 amp power supply from amazon. Car voltage went down to 12.4 at the lowest so it was OK. Be sure to turn off the headlights. They keep coming back on. 30 amps is of course safer.
- 2 day FDRS license

Things noticed:

Best of luck out there!
Changing voltage may be more problematic for some updates than others. 30A should be minimum, 50A+ is very safe. If you don't mind the risk, go for it, but 20A is not sufficient. 20A is just one step beyond those many dealers who don't bother to use a charger or power supply at all.

Jambler

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web
Country flag
Changing voltage may be more problematic for some updates than others. 30A should be minimum, 50A+ is very safe. If you don't mind the risk, go for it, but 20A is not sufficient. 20A is just one step beyond those many dealers who don't bother to use a charger or power supply at all.
Yeah 30A and up please! Note I also precharged and “recalibrated” the BCM battery voltage. But I don’t think most should be messing with that.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Yes, needed a USB. Most updates are now via USB with configuration via the direct connection.
Just to clarify for those of us considering doing the updates ourselves...how does the USB drive fit into the process? Is data loaded onto it prior to the update using the laptop? Is it then transferred to one of the usb slots in the car?
Sponsored