Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Probably because a dealer did not complete them and file a warranty claim.
Buuut....aren't they actually optional programs? Like if you need them they'll do them but you don't have to sign up for that? This makes it look like it was some sort of recall that's got to be cleared off the system or something.
Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ran into a nasty problem in the middle of the current PCM update that also has SOBDMc, SOBDM, and BECM updates. The PCM and SOBDMc went okay. The SOBDM and BECM failed because I got a security access violation error when FDRS tried to download the firmware from the Ford server. I got the same error when I retried.

Any idea how to fix this?

I captured the old version numbers before I updated and I should have the old versions of PCM and SOBDMc firmware. I saw some information about using a special version of FordScan to restore the old versions in the PCM and SOBDMc?
I have about fours years of intermittent experience with FORSCAN and although I hear a lot of people say you can update modules with it I don't think I'd go down that rabbit hole.

Can you just give it another go tomorrow to see if it was a temporary issue with your connection to the Ford servers? That would be my Plan A.

Or are you saying you've got erased modules now? I didn't think that was actually possible. If they are blanked wouldn't you do a PMI to get them back?

Mike

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I ran into a nasty problem in the middle of the current PCM update that also has SOBDMc, SOBDM, and BECM updates. The PCM and SOBDMc went okay. The SOBDM and BECM failed because I got a security access violation error when FDRS tried to download the firmware from the Ford server. I got the same error when I retried.

Any idea how to fix this?

I captured the old version numbers before I updated and I should have the old versions of PCM and SOBDMc firmware. I saw some information about using a special version of FordScan to restore the old versions in the PCM and SOBDMc?
Try again tomorrow during the day, could be a server issue. If it persists, I'd completely uninstall and reinstall the latest FDRS version (32.5.4). When you reinstall, make sure you check the option to clear out user data which will delete all the cache files.

Make sure your J2534 device has the latest firmware as well.

If that doesn't work, then the bad news is probably that Ford released the updates too soon by accident and they rescinded them mid-update? If that's the case, then the Ford engineers will have to sort that out for your specific situation since you will have a mismatch of versions not designed to work together. I'd make a report in FDRS by clicking on the mail button in the upper right so the software team knows about it, you might also have to start a case with Ford if the FDRS issue isn't resolved by the middle of next week.

dreKion

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD ER+
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Today FDRS does not work well

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
Worked fine for me 2 hours ago. No issues whatsoever

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I have about fours years of intermittent experience with FORSCAN and although I hear a lot of people say you can update modules with it I don't think I'd go down that rabbit hole.

Can you just give it another go tomorrow to see if it was a temporary issue with your connection to the Ford servers? That would be my Plan A.

Or are you saying you've got erased modules now? I didn't think that was actually possible. If they are blanked wouldn't you do a PMI to get them back?

Mike
I have two out of the four updated. From the information in the other thread, the BECM should be updated to NJ98-14C197-BD. I have a 2021 Job 1 ER RWD.

BECM NJ98-14C197-BB
PCM MJ98-14C204-BDJ -> MJ98-14C204-BDK
SOBDM LJ98-14F476-AS
SOBDMC LJ98-14G069-BDG -> LJ98-14G069-BDH

I just updated to the latest FDRS version yesterday before programming the modules. The other module updates worked fine. I will try a reinstall with a clear of the data cache and check to see if there are any Mongoose updates.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have two out of the four updated. From the information in the other thread, the BECM should be updated to NJ98-14C197-BD. I have a 2021 Job 1 ER RWD.

BECM NJ98-14C197-BB
SOBDM LJ98-14F476-AS

I just updated to the latest FDRS version yesterday before programming the modules. The other module updates worked fine. I will try a reinstall with a clear of the data cache and check to see if there are any Mongoose updates.
I wanted to add that since I updated to the latest version of FDRS I've experienced some strange behavior with it not connecting to the internet after starting the program. And clicking the internet icon in the lower right corner "click to connect" doesn't work. I have to shut the program down and restart. But it always connects the next time I start it up. This never happened with the previous version and everything else on this laptop remains exactly as it has. I use this laptop exclusively for FDRS and I have great Starlink internet. So I'm pretty sure it's an issue with FDRS. Although I'm not sure exactly what's causing it.

Also, I've noticed with my car that even if I leave it just overnight (no charging or anything) the next day the battery charger/powersupply (PL2320) says I'm at 50% when I connect up to do updates. So I set it to charge up first and go get coffee. This happens everytime. I don't want updates to fail because I was below 80% SOC. I may have a weak battery that will eventually get to the point it needs replacing but at least it charges now. No idea what causes the overnight drain.

Mike

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I reinstalled FDRS and deleted the cached data. I connected to the car again and tried FDRS again to update. I was able to log in and got the BECM and SODBM updates.

I tried updating the BECM and got the warning about updating multiple modules. I got the same security access violation, so I did not retry. FDRS went on to do the SODBM and it was successful! I then retried the BECM and it was successful.

This seems to indicate the software part numbers in the modules plays a part in determining the access to the updated firmware on the server.

BECM NJ98-14C197-BB -> NJ98-14C197-BD
SOBDM LJ98-14F476-AS -> LJ98-14F476-AU

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I reinstalled FDRS and deleted the cached data. I connected to the car again and tried FDRS again to update. I was able to log in and got the BECM and SODBM updates.

I tried updating the BECM and got the warning about updating multiple modules. I got the same security access violation, so I did not retry. FDRS went on to do the SODBM and it was successful! I then retried the BECM and it was successful.

This seems to indicate the software part numbers in the modules plays a part in determining the access to the updated firmware on the server.

So what I'm hearing is you are saying it's a sequencing thing?

I would agree with that, especially for the updates that seem to be "chained".

So it wanted you to do the SOBDM first then?

Mike

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Software Developer/System Admin
Country flag

Please pm me your vin

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I did these updates to my car yesterday. SODBM had to be completed or I got a "security access violation". Once I updated SODBM the BECM and chained updates completed with no issues, but a lot of DTCs to clear.

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I looked back at the log and it showed some interesting results. I started with the PCM update like I did last time. The previous time it chained through the updates fine.

The log shows the PCM was updated, but the SOBDMC, SOBDM, and BECM updates had "the tool was opened and closed with no results" messages. I retried the update and the BECM was first with "the tool was opened and closed with no results", but then the SOBDMC was updated successfully. It then tried to update the SOBDM with "the tool was opened and closed with no results".

It appears a security access violation error does not get in the event log as a failed result.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I looked back at the log and it showed some interesting results. I started with the PCM update like I did last time. The previous time it chained through the updates fine.

The log shows the PCM was updated, but the SOBDMC, SOBDM, and BECM updates had "the tool was opened and closed with no results" messages. I retried the update and the BECM was first with "the tool was opened and closed with no results", but then the SOBDMC was updated successfully. It then tried to update the SOBDM with "the tool was opened and closed with no results".

It appears a security access violation error does not get in the event log as a failed result.
Does anybody know if the updates that just appeared this week for the SOBDMC and the Battery BEMC are the ones the recall wants installed?

Seeing as how it is nearly the Q3 date, and that's when the software updates for the HVJB were supposed to show up....

I just don't know what versions I'm supposed to be looking for.

Mike

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
… wow was I wrong. I thought the car would auto update, such as when connected to wifi, and or charging, at night…. Is that not what happens? Because, looking at all this tech data and acronyms (y’all love those lol) makes me think if I’m not some kind of computer engineer with the tech skills of a NASA astronaut, this is not the car for me. I have zero desire or time to manage and worry about abc123 (part f not part d or else the car explodes) latest updates on the qp73xbd module of the jiggermajiggy component within the software. Yes, that’s what it all seems like to me. Clearly, I was wrong simply thinking I could just buy a new car…

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
… wow was I wrong. I thought the car would auto update, such as when connected to wifi, and or charging, at night…. Is that not what happens? Because, looking at all this tech data and acronyms (y’all love those lol) makes me think if I’m not some kind of computer engineer with the tech skills of a NASA astronaut, this is not the car for me. I have zero desire or time to manage and worry about abc123 (part f not part d or else the car explodes) latest updates on the qp73xbd module of the jiggermajiggy component within the software. Yes, that’s what it all seems like to me. Clearly, I was wrong simply thinking I could just buy a new car…
Enjoy your car as is. You can safely ignore everything we're discussing without any problems. Ford releases OTA updates on their own schedule.

You are in a thread with a lot of geeks who enjoy this stuff but it is very much outside the norm of the average Mach-E owner and we're discussing stuff that is utterly irrelevant to normal use and enjoyment of the car.
Sponsored