21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Boy oh Boy, the newest GWM download was long but it is a nanosecond in comparison with the multi-gig APIM download that unmasked itself right afterwards grrr.... here I sit, surfing the Internet, waiting, waiting... reminds me of the ancient Windows 3.1 dial-up hourglass haha

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Did you receive the GWM file that promps the APIM file to appear.
All us Euro people got the GWM update, but the APIM didn’t appear immediately afterwards (now on day 4 post GWM install)

It’s probably due to code changes required for this part of the world - but it’s very frustrating for us.

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X 5, 2021 Mach E-Premium RWD Job 2
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
I got the GWM file two days after I did a FDRS update for PCM and OBCC. I might wait a week or two see if I get it OTA before I buy another license again.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ready to update my Mach-E. Job 1, Built Jan 17, 2021. The last OTA update in Sept and that's it! Please confirm I start with the PCM first. If anyone can give me the order what's next that would be much appreciated. I waited 13 months for the Ford VCM3 and I have a 1 year license so I am set to proceed! Display on laptop set to never off for screen and laptop, Antivirus Disabled, 100 amp power supply. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) IMG_2283

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Ready to update my Mach-E. Job 1, Built Jan 17, 2021. The last OTA update in Sept and that's it! Please confirm I start with the PCM first. If anyone can give me the order what's next that would be much appreciated. I waited 13 months for the Ford VCM3 and I have a 1 year license so I am set to proceed! Display on laptop set to never off for screen and laptop, Antivirus Disabled, 100 amp power supply. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) IMG_2283
Having a high performance USB drive is going to be more important than trying to choose an install order.
Start with the PCM like you said and then FDRS is going to manage dependencies and chain other updates together without asking you.
Maybe keep APIM to last, if it is offered to you.

Andyl273

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-e GT Grabber Blue
Occupation
Restaurant GM
Country flag
I was looking to have someone check this VIN for me. I am trading up to a Mach-E GT and want to see what I’m up against. 😂

3FMTK4SE4MME00360

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Would really need to see your list up close before I gave an opinion.

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X 5, 2021 Mach E-Premium RWD Job 2
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
So now that we're all getting the ball rolling....It was a naughty PCM update that was keeping the GWM from showing up. I'm told that in addition to whatever dependency issue was created by doing the PCM update (at the time I did it there was no GWM in my list) the PCM was not completely 'reporting' as well, which could have compounded the problem.

I asked somebody on another forum to check something out for me and the result was a 'reset' of my PCM reported version to a previous iteration.

Which made the GWM....and the PCM (again) show up as updates in my list.

I was advised to do an offline download of the GWM software (no network scan), and then only plug it in afterward...and to do a PMI (and answer "No" to the question about if the original module is installed).

That worked like a charm and after the completion of the GWM update (GWM "-LAD" revision) and the network scan I was bestowed with the precious Sync 640 APIM update, and the naughty PCM update had disappeared from the list (because it was actually already installed).

Afterward, another GWM showed up and all the packages in that update still showed as "-LAD" except the F188 which flipped over to "-LAE".

All good...another Sync crisis put to rest.
You mentioned to do a PMI. What does that mean?

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
It's a module function in FDRS that can be performed. I'm sure Mike can give a much more in depth answer though :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) 1674000485030

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
PMI is a procedure in FDRS. It's used in two primary scenarios; 1) when a module has failed and is being replaced by the tech they will do a PMI to reprogram the replacement module for the car it's being installed in, and 2) it's used as a "module recovery" method to totally reprogram a module that might have gotten either a bad update or just needs to be wiped and started over.

It's listed as one of the remedies in the module recovery section in several of the TSBs.

Check out the attached...bottom of page 5. Note the statement about saying "No"....

Attachments

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
PMI is a procedure in FDRS. It's used in two primary scenarios; 1) when a module has failed and is being replaced by the tech they will do a PMI to reprogram the replacement module for the car it's being installed in, and 2) it's used as a "module recovery" method to totally reprogram a module that might have gotten either a bad update or just needs to be wiped and started over.

It's listed as one of the remedies in the module recovery section in several of the TSBs.

Check out the attached...bottom of page 5. Note the statement about saying "No"....
I've been trying to pluck up the courage to perform a PMI on my SOBDMC after the latest round of PCM multi module updates caused my car to start throwing a persistent DTC code about an "Incompatible module configuration"

Car still works fine - it's just there glaring at me every time I go into FDRS

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) 1674001640559

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Boy oh Boy, the newest GWM download was long but it is a nanosecond in comparison with the multi-gig APIM download that unmasked itself right afterwards grrr.... here I sit, surfing the Internet, waiting, waiting... reminds me of the ancient Windows 3.1 dial-up hourglass haha
GWM and APIM update time is very dependent on the speed of your USB drive. I got a fast drive while waiting for FDRS to offer me the update, and, um, things went SO MUCH FASTER than they have in previous USB updates.
Sponsored