21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
@JohnFoxeSheets visited with "Ode to Joy" today and we were able to successfully update his OTA-stuck car.... I think he enjoyed the level driveway and roomy driveway and garage!

Question: Just like my experience, we had to try updating that GWM module 3x before it passed. The failed attempts had us leaving the car door open for 10 or 15 minutes and car off, yet things still failed to update according to FDRS.

Any idea if there's anything we did wrong in the procedure, or can we chalk the 1 out of 3 success rate to just flakey update software from Ford?

IMG_3130.JPG
My second GWM update from the recent GWM / APIM / GWM series failed on the USB so I used the alternate FDRS cable install method via my Mongoose cable... looooooong (over 2 hours) but it worked.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
My second GWM update from the recent GWM / APIM / GWM series failed on the USB so I used the alternate FDRS cable install method via my Mongoose cable... looooooong (over 2 hours) but it worked.
Ugh! That would be too painful. We would need more snacks for that.

Seems that both these GWM updates before and after the APIM update are just temperamental to get installed.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
@JohnFoxeSheets visited with "Ode to Joy" today and we were able to successfully update his OTA-stuck car.... I think he enjoyed the level driveway and roomy driveway and garage!

Question: Just like my experience, we had to try updating that GWM module 3x before it passed. The failed attempts had us leaving the car door open for 10 or 15 minutes and car off, yet things still failed to update according to FDRS.

Any idea if there's anything we did wrong in the procedure, or can we chalk the 1 out of 3 success rate to just flakey update software from Ford?

IMG_3130.JPG
Thank you again Andy for the FDRS and your patience!

For the sleuths on this thread, here’re screenshots of FDRS when it showed the failures.

First GWM update:
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) 306C9717-AE38-4D01-BEFB-16D71692C3D4
Second GWM update:
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) 6FD8E976-7BB3-471C-A1CC-19B5EAEB3B82

Ultimately we got everything to pass, but it definitely took multiple attempts.
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) 26DEBDC6-49B2-45AB-B05E-19D867B2377B

One other odd thing is that HFBC didn’t work on my trip home. Based on the freeway and previous experience it should have, but on this drive only hands-on BlueCruise worked - it never went to hands-free mode. I did a SYNC reset after I got off the freeway and I’ll test it again tomorrow, but I dunno what’s going on. (Everything else seems to work just fine.)

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Thank you again Andy for the FDRS and your patience!

For the sleuths on this thread, here’re screenshots of FDRS when it showed the failures.

First GWM update:
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) 26DEBDC6-49B2-45AB-B05E-19D867B2377B
Second GWM update:

Ultimately we got everything to pass, but it definitely took multiple attempts.

One other odd thing is that HFBC didn’t work on my trip home. Based on the freeway and previous experience it should have, but on this drive only hands-on BlueCruise worked - it never went to hands-free mode. I did a SYNC reset after I got off the freeway and I’ll test it again tomorrow, but I dunno what’s going on. (Everything else seems to work just fine.)
We did not update any BC-related modules today, so I hope we didn't break anything by accident...

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
We did not update any BC-related modules today, so I hope we didn't break anything by accident...
I'm not worried about something being broken - I figure it's just something residual from the updates and will work itself out. Lee suggested I try reseting the modules by disconnecting the 12V battery for ~10 minutes, so I will give that a try in the morning. But great news: I was finally able to turn off that [expletive deleted] speed warning!

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Every time I've had a USB update not pass the check after, I just give it another few minutes and try again. I think the longest I've had to wait, is another 10 minutes after the initial 10 minutes. Last resort is doing a reboot of that module, and it will then pass. The one time I tried the USB again, it just tells me the update is already complete.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Every time I've had a USB update not pass the check after, I just give it another few minutes and try again. I think the longest I've had to wait, is another 10 minutes after the initial 10 minutes. Last resort is doing a reboot of that module, and it will then pass. The one time I tried the USB again, it just tells me the update is already complete.
That happened to me a few times too, After reading the USB drive again is just says update already completed!

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I'm not worried about something being broken - I figure it's just something residual from the updates and will work itself out. Lee suggested I try reseting the modules by disconnecting the 12V battery for ~10 minutes, so I will give that a try in the morning. But great news: I was finally able to turn off that [expletive deleted] speed warning!
@scoopman good news, resetting the modules by disconnecting the 12V battery for five minutes and then reconnecting worked like a champ! Interesting to also see that the BC blue bubble graphic has changed... (Oops)
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) IMG_2946

OMG, I just noticed that as a bonus I caught the odo at exactly 8100 miles! 🤣

Last edited:

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks, Ben. Good to know!

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X 5, 2021 Mach E-Premium RWD Job 2
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
@scoopman good news, resetting the modules by disconnecting the 12V battery for five minutes and then reconnecting worked like a champ! Interesting to also see that the BC blue bubble graphic has changed...
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) IMG_2946

OMG, I just noticed that as a bonus I caught the odo at exactly 8100 miles! 🤣
What’s the lighting bolt below your batteries charge 81%