benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
FWIW, I'm pretty sure @Neil4Real never DCFC'd before his GT got the HVBJB SVS. And I know at least a few got the HVBJB SVS while driving in Whisper mode. But yeah, avoiding WOT events would be a good idea especially if you don't have the flexibility to deal with the issue unexpectedly. (I'm actually considering the reverse and trying to cause the problem to ossuary so I can proactively get it replaced. But I'm still on the fence on that one.)

I'll just say, good luck actually getting it to happen when you want.
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
FWIW, I'm pretty sure @Neil4Real never DCFC'd before his GT got the HVBJB SVS. And I know at least a few got the HVBJB SVS while driving in Whisper mode. But yeah, avoiding WOT events would be a good idea especially if you don't have the flexibility to deal with the issue unexpectedly. (I'm actually considering the reverse and trying to cause the problem to ossuary so I can proactively get it replaced. But I'm still on the fence on that one.)
Correct, literally never, not once DCFC'd. Only level 2 charging at home and a handful of times at work.

Avoiding WOT events is good, but I just did a few passes and my car threw the error when I was going 40 something MPH, I believe, and AFTER I had exited the hilly terrain freeway. So when I now just cruising the city streets and not even passing, etc.

The best way to get a failure is to find a steep grade and floor it. In my saga, I recounted how the dealer was clearing the code and about to send me on my way, unless he could get it to give him the code when driving.

He then took the same route and drove for about 30 minutes up and down ZOOM ZOOMING (literally in caps) and got it to fail at like 91 MPH or something like that LOL.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Has anyone gotten the HVBJB error who has never used a fast charger?
Aside from @Neil4Real there are a few other failures from people who never once used DCFC. It's probably one of the biggest misconceptions that people on this forum have about the HVBJB. So many people think that they will avoid failure if they don't DCFC. That's just not true at all. I'm a good example of the opposite of this. Mine failed at 23k miles (not sure I've seen one go more miles without failure yet) and I DCFC 100-200 kW a week.

The other huge misconception is that it's caused by drive modes. Also not true.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I think the main issue isn't just DCFC or WOT. It's just a sustained high current though the contactor they didn't account for. This is why you see multiple cars having the issue at the same place. Driving up an incline that causes the car to draw more current than normal, it doesn't power limit at 5 seconds like it does on WOT, and if it goes too long, it gets too hot and welds. I could see even having a decently strong head wind could cause the car to use a significant more amount of current than normal to go the same speed. Add DCFC or some WOT just before that and the contactor will already be hot and could weld even quicker

Drive modes definitely don't play a part. I only mentioned it in my post to make the point of I had been trying to drive it easier this week for range purposes. Whispers throttle mapping is easier to not use too much energy taking off. Haha

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Well I have an update. Dealer called me to say the car was done and I could pick it up.

However, Looking at the logs in FDRS, I can see the dealer did a few module updates and nothing else. I had already completed the recall software updates on my own and told them that, but they insist they preformed the recall update and nothing more is needed.

When I told the advisor that they were not done because I can see what the tech did, He actually laughed at me and said the tech knows what he's doing. At that point I got pretty annoyed and wasn't nice anymore. I told him I specifically told him when I dropped it off that all the updates were done, and that this now needs the hardware replacement with the code that I printed off to give him. He finally just ended the call by saying he'd talk to his tech.

A little bit later my Ford case manger called me to tell me the car was done, and she also told me there was nothing more that the dealer can do as the car is now driving fine.

I have let them both know that I will not be picking up the car until it is repaired according to the TSB. So we'll see what happens next.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Well I have an update. Dealer called me to say the car was done and I could pick it up.

However, Looking at the logs in FDRS, I can see the dealer did a few module updates and nothing else. I had already completed the recall software updates on my own and told them that, but they insist they preformed the recall update and nothing more is needed.

When I told the advisor that they were not done because I can see what the tech did, He actually laughed at me and said the tech knows what he's doing. At that point I got pretty annoyed and wasn't nice anymore. I told him I specifically told him when I dropped it off that all the updates were done, and that this now needs the hardware replacement with the code that I printed off to give him. He finally just ended the call by saying he'd talk to his tech.

A little bit later my Ford case manger called me to tell me the car was done, and she also told me there was nothing more that the dealer can do as the car is now driving fine.

I have let them both know that I will not be picking up the car until it is repaired according to the TSB. So we'll see what happens next.
Disappointing after what a few of us went through, where I had the same experience but my dealer at least drove the car HARD and got the DTC to return, thus making him willing to replace the HVBJB, Ford still hasn't properly communicated to the dealers OR AT LEAST MADE THIS A PERSISTENT, UNCLEARABLE DTC!! Holy cow, still can't believe you can just clear the DTC and dealers think you can go on your merry way.

Hopefully you get this resolved, crazy that even with the TSB out, they still don't want to do it or listen to reason!

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Another update:

After some corporate intervention, the dealer is now on track to do the repair properly. Dealer is going to start the paperwork to get the part ordered. Hopefully its not a long wait on the part. But I fear it may be.

Alan Minnesota

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I am in the same boat here with my 2021 Premium Extended Range AWD, Job-1 Build at ~15,000 miles. I got the SVS last week Tuesday (8/23) along with the "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" and "High-Voltage Battery Warning." I'd had the same errors pop up a week prior upon starting the car, but they cleared out after I parked and it sat for awhile. This time they occurred while accelerating to make a pass on the freeway...and they didn't clear.

I called service, they scheduled me for September 6th. It felt like a long time to wait with the risk of getting bricked...since the error I'd been pulling backward into my garage...backing into parking spots...always imagining a tow truck would be my next ride.

Fortunately I spoke to the service lead and explained the specific error codes...he got me in to drop it off and get a rental on Thursday (8/25), even without the EV tech on site until today (8/29). They'd just dealt with towing a bricked MachE, so I think he was both sympathetic and not wanting to deal with another bricked car.

Update from today, it's the HVJB. My service guy says it'll be here by Tuesday of next week - no mention of a back-order. Working with a dealer in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
After my August 29th update. and having been told the part would be here 6-Sep, I got the update yesterday on the 6th that the part is now on backorder. No estimated delivery time yet...so my car sits in the lot...waiting.

Has anyone been successful in getting an ETA for HVJB part delivery...for parts ordered in late August?

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
After my August 29th update. and having been told the part would be here 6-Sep, I got the update yesterday on the 6th that the part is now on backorder. No estimated delivery time yet...so my car sits in the lot...waiting.

Has anyone been successful in getting an ETA for HVJB part delivery...for parts ordered in late August?
Do you have a case open with Ford? They can expedite it. Dealer told me it would be weeks, but They actually got it the next day.

PalsyWalsy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 400H, Lexus 300H, Buick Enclave, Mach E GT
Occupation
School Administration
Country flag
Do you have a case open with Ford? They can expedite it. Dealer told me it would be weeks, but They actually got it the next day.
Same here. Open a case and that will help. Mine went out on Aug 15 and towed to dealer on Aug 16. They ordered the part (with the help of the service advisor and case #) and got the part in 3-4 business days after they confirmed diagnosis. I had to wait a bit longer because there was a different issue I wanted addressed after they replaced the part, but I was cool with that to get it all done at once and the 10,000 mile service done while there covered by Ford.

All is good and I am back on the road and driving just fine.

Last edited:

Alan Minnesota

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Life is funny.
12:30pm - text service advisor for an update
1:10pm - post on this thread
1:30pm - initiate chat with the Ford bot to open a case, entering my VIN (thanks @benk016 )
1:40pm - chat starts
1:45pm - service advisor writes saying the part will be here tomorrow

Last edited:
OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Update:

Dealer called me Tuesday afternoon saying all parts are in and they would work on it Wednesday first thing and hope to have it done by Wednesday evening.

It is now 2:30pm and they still haven't moved the car from the parking lot into the shop yet. I don't see it getting done today. But at least the parts all showed up quick.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Update:

Dealer called me Tuesday afternoon saying all parts are in and they would work on it Wednesday first thing and hope to have it done by Wednesday evening.

It is now 2:30pm and they still haven't moved the car from the parking lot into the shop yet. I don't see it getting done today. But at least the parts all showed up quick.
Sorry you are going through this. What a cluster. Can't imagine a normal customer like my parents going through this, without all the information.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Sorry you are going through this. What a cluster. Can't imagine a normal customer like my parents going through this, without all the information.
That is what a few of the members here are trying to help with. It really is more the dealers that have been the issue with not doing things properly.

I literally gave my dealer all the info they needed to open a claim and order the part, and they still didn't get it right initially. Ford really needs to do more to educate dealers on these issues instead of just posting a TSB on PTS and hoping they notice it, or take the few minutes to read it.
Sponsored