Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've been training myself on the use of OPD (One-Pedal-Driving) for about a week. I am fairly adapted to using it now and anticipate it will be fine augmentation to eAWD in snowy conditions. I wonder, though, if there is a long term soft cost to taking the burden off the braking system and putting it on the electric motors. Getting additional miles on brake pads is a wonderful thing, I suppose. However, will other components in the drive train suffer additional wear and tear through recurring use of OPD? Does the electric motor parts, the drive shafts, fittings in those area, etc, wear out more rapidly than when not using OPD? Or is there a truly a "free lunch" in the use of OPD. ;)
Sponsored

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
The MME uses hybrid braking in all driving modes. No matter which driving mode you are in, the car first uses regenerative braking and only dials in friction braking when needed, such as the final stop and for very aggressive braking. 1PD on or off will make no difference in the life of your brake pads, the computer is control. Find Sarah Connor.

Ford also states that the efficiency and performance are the same in all modes. So, don't expect your car to be any more efficient (or slower) in Whisper mode. The one exception is Unbridled Extend (only on the GT/GTPE), which does ironically limit the ultimate power to allow for longer track sessions.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I've been training myself on the use of OPD (One-Pedal-Driving) for about a week. I am fairly adapted to using it now and anticipate it will be fine augmentation to eAWD in snowy conditions. I wonder, though, if there is a long term soft cost to taking the burden off the braking system and putting it on the electric motors. Getting additional miles on brake pads is a wonderful thing, I suppose. However, will other components in the drive train suffer additional wear and tear through recurring use of OPD? Does the electric motor parts, the drive shafts, fittings in those area, etc, wear out more rapidly than when not using OPD? Or is there a truly a "free lunch" in the use of OPD. ;)
The ONLY difference is your brake pedal pad will last longer. Everything else is the same. All the components function the same with 1PD on or off.

OP
OP
EasyPass

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guess I had it backwards. OPD is about power regeneration and not much about braking. Theoretically, you could implement OPD in an ICE vehicle for convenience, but it would have little benefit aside from my reference to driving in snow, for example.
Thanks for the responses.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I guess I had it backwards. OPD is about power regeneration and not much about braking.
But so is the brake pedail in the MME. It has blended braking, so you get just as much regeneration when hitting the brake pedal as you do using 1PD. Both are great options, and neither is better than the other.

aamyotte

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
The concern I would have is that the brakes are not used as much as an ICE vehicle. In the canadian north, I've had seized brake calipers when they are used for all of the vehicle's braking. Not sure how well the calipers will hold up in a BEV.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The concern I would have is that the brakes are not used as much as an ICE vehicle. In the canadian north, I've had seized brake calipers when they are used for all of the vehicle's braking. Not sure how well the calipers will hold up in a BEV.
The friction brakes are operated for every complete stop so there shouldn't be a seizing concern.

The ID.4 with drum brakes on the rear axle might be an issue because they are more susceptible to moisture intrusion and freezing up during to lack of use.
Sponsored