Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I thought I'd write up a brief post about taking my premium awd extended range to the track. I'm a stock config including original OEM tires with just over 14k miles on the car.

I did a day of the performance drive at the Autobahn country club. It was a mix of classroom, autocross, and track time. Active time I'd estimate at 1.5-2 hours of autocross and 1 to 1.5 hours on the track. I insured through OpenTrack, but didn't need it so can't speak to any claims process.

It was a fun time. However the weight of the MME was evident -- I was the slowest autocross by multiple seconds, never breaking the 30 seconds the instructor expected us all to beat (though I was close with multiple laps right around 30.5 seconds). The fastest autocross in our group (4-man) was a cute f-pace svr -- close in weight to the mme but with substantially larger tires. (and not quite double the price of the MME -- didn't want him for a hood ornament!)

Weight and lack of grip was evident on the lead/follow on the track as well. The club's miata running lead would power through turns where I was like, "nope, already at the car's traction limit just to turn at this speed." I did get some front collision warnings when directly following the miata due to its rapid braking action to regroup the pack of us. I could catch up with it after a turn, but I suspect the driver wasn't pushing it because of how spread out we'd end up due to particularly me in the MME and the f-pace having to take turns slower than the other cars (audi a5 and a camero with a track package).

Arrived at a 93% SOC, left at a 35% SOC. The last track session really hammered on the battery harder than the first two. My original HVBJB did not pop during track time or when I fast-charged at the nearest EA (although that was after a snacks and drinks, plus a 10-15 minute low-speed drive so there was plenty of time to shed heat). The after charge did pick right up to a 134kW peak charge rate, which was nice after previous charging peaks in Chicagoland of 85, 81, and 6. That is not a typo, I really mean 6kW, slower than my grizzl-e home charger at 9.6kW, for which EA charged me $0.36 before I concluded it wasn't going up (I wanted 10 minutes and was chatting with an id4 owner) and left for a different charger since the id4 was getting 19kW and the chevy bolt was getting 42kW (possibly limited by the bolt?) and that was all the slots.

Would I do it again? Maybe, although certainly not before getting better tires on the MME. I'm sure I'd improve as a driver with more time, although I don't know how much more the MME (as configured) will teach me. More likely I might do the needed inspection/fluids/etc to the other car -- the honda fit -- and take that. The instructor said if you can race a miata you can race anything, but I don't drive stick, so I can't rent one of the club's miatas, and my fit is a reasonable (inexpensive) substitute.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Sounds fun!

What model do you have?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

thumperr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
96 Probe, 2002 Explorer XLT, 2019 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
Where is this located?

OP
OP

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'd originally posted it to the great lakes group, figuring the people most likely to care were the folks who live within a few hours travel of it (which is my situation).

For clarity, it is outside Chicago (south-west, near I55 & I80) by an hour or so.
Sponsored