narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I doubt the team at Ford hasn't thought this or even monitors these forums on how to run their business but..

There are too configurations on the MACH-E , some that make no since. I assume they did this to see what the market wants, and since they have limited production anyhow maybe this isn't as disruptive as I see it. Here's my suggestion to Ford to simplify the offering and maybe help ramp production assuming you can get the parts needed.

1) Cali RT 1 - You've already offered it and no turning back. This should be the only RWD option and should be viewed as a compliance car.
2) Select AWD Only - Standard Range Battery + Comfort and Tech Package. (kill off the Appearance Pack)
3) Premium AWD Only - Extended Range Battery + Pano-roof + B+O system +LED Lights
4) GT-Select (aka current GT) - Extended Range Battery + GT front motor+ Solid body color roof+ Co-pilot 360
5) GT- Performance/Premium - Performance Battery - Upgraded Suspension - Pano-Roof- Co-pilot 360 - Performance software additions

Just because it carries the Mustang name, a crossover this big and heavy, doesn't need to be RWD , But in mustang tradition the focus should be on power so AWD. Maybe with software on future GT-PE you adjust the power balance between front and rear.

Currently Select can be configured 6 ways, Premium 4 ways (battery/Drive options Only), CA RT1 - 1 way, GT 5 Ways, GT-PE 3 ways. By my count - that's 19 "standard" configurations you need to schedule into the production line. That seems excessive IMO.

Example of oddity - if you want a solid roof + Co-Pilot 360/BlueCruise - You either need to buy a GT regular or a Select and if for some reason you are spending this type of money and don't want Co-Pilot 360/blueCruise you have to buy a Select, GT or GT-PE.

Anyhow- just dropping my 2 cents in. Bored and looking for a reason to ignore my actual work.

My Select AWD (comfort and Tech) is my favorite car I've ever owned, good job Ford .
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Wow, don't even think about looking at the F-150 ordering options available LOL!

Actually the Mach-E is considered to have few options compared to most vehicles (and thus easier to assemble).

MONDO

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2021) Space White, Premium, AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Design Engineer
Country flag
Definitely agree! Ford would sell just as many Mach-E‘s right now if they simplified the lineup. I’d go even further and drop it to just Select(#2), Premium (#3), and GT Performance (#5). Good, Better, Best.

Only additional options should be interior seat color and exterior paint color.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I doubt the team at Ford hasn't thought this or even monitors these forums on how to run their business but..

There are too configurations on the MACH-E , some that make no since. I assume they did this to see what the market wants, and since they have limited production anyhow maybe this isn't as disruptive as I see it. Here's my suggestion to Ford to simplify the offering and maybe help ramp production assuming you can get the parts needed.

1) Cali RT 1 - You've already offered it and no turning back. This should be the only RWD option and should be viewed as a compliance car.
2) Select AWD Only - Standard Range Battery + Comfort and Tech Package. (kill off the Appearance Pack)
3) Premium AWD Only - Extended Range Battery + Pano-roof + B+O system +LED Lights
4) GT-Select (aka current GT) - Extended Range Battery + GT front motor+ Solid body color roof+ Co-pilot 360
5) GT- Performance/Premium - Performance Battery - Upgraded Suspension - Pano-Roof- Co-pilot 360 - Performance software additions

Just because it carries the Mustang name, a crossover this big and heavy, doesn't need to be RWD , But in mustang tradition the focus should be on power so AWD. Maybe with software on future GT-PE you adjust the power balance between front and rear.

Currently Select can be configured 6 ways, Premium 4 ways (battery/Drive options Only), CA RT1 - 1 way, GT 5 Ways, GT-PE 3 ways. By my count - that's 19 "standard" configurations you need to schedule into the production line. That seems excessive IMO.

Example of oddity - if you want a solid roof + Co-Pilot 360/BlueCruise - You either need to buy a GT regular or a Select and if for some reason you are spending this type of money and don't want Co-Pilot 360/blueCruise you have to buy a Select, GT or GT-PE.

Anyhow- just dropping my 2 cents in. Bored and looking for a reason to ignore my actual work.

My Select AWD (comfort and Tech) is my favorite car I've ever owned, good job Ford .
Ford is sure to optimize the configs as they analyze the data on purchases.

However, if you think there are too many configuration options, don’t go configure a Porsche, BMW, MB, Audi, et al. Literally thousands of combinations possible between models/packages/optional extras. And they make truckloads of profits because of it. Porsche being the King.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Definitely agree! Ford would sell just as many Mach-E‘s right now if they simplified the lineup. I’d go even further and drop it to just Select(#2), Premium (#3), and GT Performance (#5). Good, Better, Best.

Only additional options should be interior seat color and exterior paint color.
You described Tesla almost to a T. No thanks.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
And really, who is better qualified to run Ford's business than us?

I agree with much of your thinking, but the Route 1 is very good, certainly not a compliance car.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I don't know, I'm gonna have to disagree here. The Cali Rt 1 is to maximize range, which is important for some people. The name even reflects why it doesn't need AWD, as California mostly doesn't use that function. The Select, I feel is a good entry point for people who want EV, want AWD but don't want to pay a lot. Premium are obviously for people who like more bells and whistles. GT for speed freaks that are upgrading from a 2.0T and PE is for people who want that magnaride in their whip. I personally like options and configurations. I would hate to be pigeon holed into "this is the only 2 configurations you need" and that's it.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
You described Tesla almost to a T. No thanks.
Why is there always an immediate visceral response about Tesla? Tesla is doing something right, whether you like the cars or not or Elon being eccentric. They sell a ton of cars, stock price is crazy high.

Tesla is an American company, investing in R+D and Technology development in the USA where most aren't. The cars are built in US factories with US workers they added supercharger everywhere that requires hiring workers and hey, they developed the EV market, we wouldn't have Mach-E if there wasn't a Tesla first.

What is Ford doing? Just saying, let's not immediately discount Tesla's model.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Why is there always an immediate visceral response about Tesla? Tesla is doing something right, whether you like the cars or not or Elon being eccentric.
Mostly because Musk is a dishonest, reprehensible person.
They sell a ton of cars, stock price is crazy high.
Ford sells a ton of cars. Tesla sells a pound of cars.

Right about the stock, though. Crazy!

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

I agree with much of your thinking, but the Route 1 is very good, certainly not a compliance car.
DIdnt mean that as a negative - compliance in terms of its the longest range version not 1st gen RAV4 EV "compliance" level

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag

This isn't even that bad. Every car company offers you dozens upon dozens of configurations. For example, the RAV4 has ELEVEN base trims. Within each trim you can configure the car multiple ways. And the RAV4 is the best selling SUV.

And like what a poster here has mentioned, don't even get me started with the German brands.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Why is there always an immediate visceral response about Tesla? Tesla is doing something right, whether you like the cars or not or Elon being eccentric. They sell a ton of cars, stock price is crazy high.

Tesla is an American company, investing in R+D and Technology development in the USA where most aren't. The cars are built in US factories with US workers they added supercharger everywhere that requires hiring workers and hey, they developed the EV market, we wouldn't have Mach-E if there wasn't a Tesla first.

What is Ford doing? Just saying, let's not immediately discount Tesla's model.
Lol at visceral. It’s my opinion based on the comment describing Tesla’s configurator almost exactly. Based on lack of configs/options. That’s all. I’m not getting into Tesla’s business case in this thread. I own F, TSLA, GM and other automakers and hope they all succeed as I’m not some trader shorting. Moving on.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag

Proud Route 1 owner here. It's the perfect car if you live in a warmer climate. It's plenty quick while offering you the best range (I'm getting 350+ miles)
Sponsored