The model Y still has the edge for me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I’ll echo some of the responses and I think you’re going to have to prioritize something here. I’ve saved more time not having to go to a gas station in the last few months that a few extra minutes during an extended road trip is no biggie. It’s not like the Y will fast charge twice as fast as the Mach E. Maybe a PHEV would make more sense for you, given your frequent long trip needs.
ABRP shows its "pretty good".

The bigger battery SHOULD allow it to maintain top charge rate for a longer period of time than a smaller battery would.
Sponsored

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
The bigger battery means it will probably always have longer charge times than the Model Y. It just has more energy it needs to take at the charger.

That said, there is a lot of room for the Mach-E's charging curve to improve while the Tesla's is pretty well optimized after all of those years of Model 3s being out on the road. A couple of people like Kyle from Out of Spec have alluded to the Mach-E's charging curve being improved after talking to Ford engineers. This is Ford's first fast-charging EV and they were clearly extremely conservative with the battery buffer and curve. We will just have to wait and see how they change it once they get more usage data.
The battery capacity should have minimal impact on the charging time. A higher capacity battery should be able to accept proportionally more charging current. The 'C' rate should remain the same.

There are plenty of secondary effects, such as the DCFC limit, the cooling system and the cell structure.

Right now Teslas have a significant advantage both in charge rate and convenience. That has the potential to equalize over time. I expect that it will, but that is something of a gamble. Ford doesn't have a history of OTA updates, and it's not clear that they have a corporate perspective that adding new features without immediate revenue is good business. I know that GM still has the attitude of no free updates unless it fixes an identified flaw covered by warranty. It remains to be seen if Ford will learn from Tesla that frequent updates that add new features builds customer loyalty.

Back to the primary point: I believe that the charging hardware is already fast enough for road trips. The advantage of being able to park, plug in, and walk away isn't understood by most people. I really noticed when the local Costco changed their pumps from 4-5 GPM to 7 GPM because I'm waiting in line and standing there waiting for the pump to finish. I pretty much don't care if I'm at a 150kW or 250kW charger because any extra time is taken doing other things, such as waiting in line for the restroom or refilling water bottles. Being able to do a gas fill in 7 minutes then doing a 20 minute bio and fast food break isn't much of a win over a 20 minute fast charge that overlaps with the same break.

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On range It isnt that simple.
Id like to see more door to door comparisons on long trips if anyone has them.
I have only read the first several pages of this lengthy topic, so I apologize if someone has posted something like this in the last several pages that I have not yet read.

Here are a couple of long range tests documented for the MME and the Model Y. Both are 70 MPH highway range tests, as I believe has been requested.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ge-test-at-70-mph-true-to-epa-highway-results

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-range-244-miles-43-190-base-7-seat-available

And here are a couple more:

https://insideevs.com/reviews/502506/mustang-mach-e-70mph-range-test/

https://insideevs.com/reviews/438735/video-tesla-model-y-real-world-range-test/

I hope this helps...

smp

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
With business interests, clients, and rental property in the LA area commutes from Nor Cal are in my future a long time.

My day job forced me to move..well to be more accurate I was made an offer I couldnt refuse and moved north- now I have this continuous trip problem.
I believe you said in your first post or soon after that the alternatives you were considering are the Mach-E, Model Y, or an ICE. I think the answer is none of the above.

I think you may have some means given the number/type of cars you have and your listed job. To be honest, if I was in your position, I would fly, not drive, given the distance, particularly if it can be written off as a business expense.

Southwest has a ton of daily flights between Sacramento and either Burbank or LAX. If you know your schedule ahead of time, if you book in advance, the flights are much more reasonable in cost. Even if you have Southwest’s cheapest ticket class, Wanna Get Away, they give you credit for future use if you have to cancel last minute, you don’t forfeit the funds like some airlines, so you can just use the credit on your next trip.

So I would just leave your old Honda or what have you in LA near whichever airport you use so you have a personal vehicle to use here. Southwest’s consumer and business credit cards also make your money go a lot further with frequent use.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
“Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.” ??? What a read!

My favorite part is when he keeps pouring gas on the fire, and complains when he gets burned. Too funny! He’s that annoying neighbor kid we all know that won’t go away.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I actually read through this entire thread. I must be a sociopath.
Well .. compare the following:

sociopath
noun

a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

masochist
noun
a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others.

Offhand If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the latter and not the former for your affliction in reading the entire thread. I don't want to do that though because 1. It's the internet, we can be anything, and 2. I've read the whole thread too. :p

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Well .. compare the following:

sociopath
noun

a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

masochist
noun
a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others.

Offhand If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the latter and not the former for your affliction in reading the entire thread. I don't want to do that though because 1. It's the internet, we can be anything, and 2. I've read the whole thread too. :p
Hahaha. Fair enough. I'm a masochist.
But I must also be small part sociopath, for lacking the moral responsibility to choose not to read this thread. Join me, fellow masochists and/or part-time sociopaths.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Hahaha. Fair enough. I'm a masochist.
But I must also be small part sociopath, for lacking the moral responsibility to choose not to read this thread. Join me, fellow masochists and/or part-time sociopaths.
Just purely coincidental, but I found the following memes that I thought were funny (enough).

Somebody should post them in a thread somewhere in the unlikely event they were ’to actually be needed. ;)

Again just a coincidence to this thread of course.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The model Y still has the edge for me.... 1621962756383

Ford Mustang Mach-E The model Y still has the edge for me.... 1621962826057

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.