The new Nissan EV has a CCS charging port. Should Electrify America stop building CHAdeMo charger ports?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I suspect it's more a case of VW not wanting to support Tesla by expanding places for Tesla owners to DC fast charge. However, doing so is very short sighted for EA's potential profitability.
I suspect it is a case of money, as in there wouldn't be any in it for EA. Tesla's superchargers are half the cost of EA and far more ubiquitous; the chances of just recouping the R&D cost are pretty slim let alone the deployment expenses.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I suspect it's more a case of VW not wanting to support Tesla by expanding places for Tesla owners to DC fast charge. However, doing so is very short sighted for EA's potential profitability.
I don't really think it's a "not wanting to support Tesla" thing. If they were worried about not supporting the competition for BEVs, they'd just go the proprietary route like Tesla and not allow Chevy's or Nissan's or anyone else to charge there.

I suspect it's more the cost of providing yet another set of cords and connectors, taking more capacity away from CCS (like CHAdeMO already does).

And to the original question, yes, I'd like to see EA stop building CHAdeMO chargers, and just make them all CCS.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Instead of charging stations having to accommodate different connectors, It would seem better to let the owners of vehicles buy their own adapters to handle CCS. CCS is clearly becoming the standard that all (except Tesla) are going to be using.

And if Tesla wants their new vehicles to be able to charge at EA, they should put a 2nd charger port on the vehicle (for CCS).

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I would suspect that there is an authentication that happens when a Tesla plugs into one of the Superchargers (since Tesla can turn individual cars on/off from the network).

Thus you could build something that matches Tesla's vehicle connector but without being part of their network the car may not be able to charge there anyway.

So sure you can use their patents but you still couldn't charge a Tesla...

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I don't really think it's a "not wanting to support Tesla" thing. If they were worried about not supporting the competition for BEVs, they'd just go the proprietary route like Tesla and not allow Chevy's or Nissan's or anyone else to charge there.
They can't; that's explicit in the consent decree. They can includes proprietary chargers, but can't exclusively use proprietary chargers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The new Nissan EV has a CCS charging port.  Should Electrify America stop building CHAdeMo charger ports? Untitled

Instead of charging stations having to accommodate different connectors, It would seem better to let the owners of vehicles buy their own adapters to handle CCS.
And that's a different issue. The committee behind CCS wrote into the governing standard that no one shall do that.

Last edited:

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's a fair point, however it would seemingly be in their interest to get Tesla plugs on more charging stations. Supercharging is a net loss for them; explanding Tesla charging support off their books is win win. Hopefully EVGO is just the first.

Last edited:

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But owners arenā€™t locked into superchargers. Teslaā€™s position, similar to Fordā€™s, is that the best place to charge is at home. Thatā€™s why they sell the wall connector and a variety of outlets adapters for the mobile charger.

I suspect they have more to gain from allowing Teslaā€™s to charge on other stations than they have to lose. They can always adjust the pricing to vastly undercut EA since supercharging doesnā€™t need to be profitable. The fact theyā€™re on some evgo stations demonstrates willingness.

Outside long road trips, Iā€™ve only supercharged a few times and that was because I had to go to target on the way home so ā€˜why not?ā€™. I suspect with the mustang, being notionally my wifeā€™s car, it will never fast charge.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I donā€™t think they want proprietary. They were among the first pushing for a standard. Without one, they were forced to go their own way. Their connector is arguably better than CCS. At this point, why compromise unless forced to?

I suspect the only reason there is a CCS adapter in Europe is that they were forced, in spite of the CCS standards. The US Government would have to force the issue by regulating in favor of a lesser product for them to do so here.

They worked with EVGO to add tesla connectors to EVGO stations, and itā€™s hard to conceive why they would do that if they donā€™t want tesla chargers on non tesla chargers.

Either way, maybe Iā€™m wrong, and neither of us are likely to know. Doesnā€™t matter much. Cheers.
Sponsored