In descending order of sucktitude, describe how PAAK works for you.

• Total voters

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Please pick the one option that best describes your PAAK experience. Then, please respond below with:

1. Your poll choice.
2. Your MME and year.
3. Your phone.
4. Whether you are treating your phone like a fob or if you are doing anything with it (taking it out of your pocket, unlocking it, etc.) to get your result.

If you are bringing your phone out of your pocket and opening up FordPass, etc. to get to your “PAAK works great” result… that’s doesn’t mean PAAK works as well as the fob.

This is going to assume that you are doing what you are supposed to do for PAAK to work optimally - keeping FordPass running in background and you have Background App Refresh enabled.
Sponsored

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Not as good as FOB, but not having the other problems to the extent listed.

2021 Premium ER AWD

Samsung Galaxy S10

For entry, nothing special. It does sometimes take a couple pushes to get the door to open. Only need to unlock the phone and open the app if the phone was restarted.

For driving, I put it on the QI charger. Leaving it my pocket occasionally results in "no key detected".

JGuske23

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD extended range
Occupation
Market manager
Country flag
Doesn't work as good as a key but 46k miles on almost exclusively PAAK, have never been stranded anywhere, more times than not it's a phone issue if I'm having any problems.

Went from s22 ultra to Galaxy fold 4 and it's been an even better experience

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Please pick the one option that best describes your PAAK experience. Then, please respond below with:

1. Your poll choice.
2. Your MME and year.
3. Your phone.
4. Whether you are treating your phone like a fob or if you are doing anything with it (taking it out of your pocket, unlocking it, etc.) to get your result.
1. PAAK works fine for me 99%, I keep Fob in foil inside car for emergency/serve/valet parking

2. 2021 Select AWD SR
auto-update disabled after I got my HVBJB replaced finally. I don't want or need any module updates I've seen since. I don't care about or use any auto-drive features or BlueCruise.

3. Samsung Android a03s, running v12
running FordPass v 4.21.0

4. I generally have phone in back pocket or hip holster, unlocks on walk up fine,
Sometime MME can't see phone if I leave in left back pocket, but fine in left hip holster, center tray, or phone holder between dash and center screen.

I generally either disable BT or close FP when I am home because I am in/out of the garage many times a day and I don't like the clicking and welcome lights every time I walk by. I turn on BT and FP when I am getting ready to go out.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
1. Your poll choice.
2. Your MME and year.
3. Your phone.
1. Not as good as the fob, but not having major issues. Sometimes have to press the door button more than once.
2. 2021 Job 1 Premium SR AWD
3. iPhone 13 Mini
4. My phone stays in my pocket, just like a fob.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
2021 Job 2 MME
only works about 10% of the time - but I have an RFA update available but not applied
iPhone 7+
I always have a FOB with me so it is never a problem

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

1. Your poll choice.
2. Your MME and year.
3. Your phone.

If you are bringing your phone out of your pocket and opening up FordPass, etc. to get to your “PAAK works great” result… that’s doesn’t mean PAAK works as well as the fob.

This is going to assume that you are doing what you are supposed to do for PAAK to work optimally - keeping FordPass running in background and you have Background App Refresh enabled.
2022 CR1 XR RWD. PAAK has been adequate without significant hang ups. Phone is iPhone SE 2022.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
I have never used the fob so I am not sure if it works better.

However I never have to get my phone out of my pocket to get in the car.

98% of the time it opens on the first push. The other 2% of the time it opens on the second push.

2022 CA RT 1 fully updated and an iPhone 12.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
1. Your poll choice.
2. Your MME and year.
3. Your phone.
As good as the fob.
Premium AWD standard range. 2021 job2.
Samsung galaxy S21.
The only difference with the fob is that I need to make sure that FordPass was opened. PAAK still works if the phone is locked.

I still keep the fob in the car, hidden in the Faraday bag, but only reached for it when dropped the car for service.

Anvesh11

First Name
Anvesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red MME RWD Ext Battery, 2016 Altima
Country flag
2021 Job 2 MME that came woth two fobs. I have an iPhone 12 pro and I am unable to setup PAAK. I’ve tried everything suggested on the forums and then just gave up.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Not as good as the fob, but not having the issues below.

2021 Job 1.5 Premium 4X, up to 3.5.4.2.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

I generally approach the car with the phone in my hand. The farther away it is (pants pocket away-side from car) the less reliable it is. In the same hand that pushes the door button is most reliable and what I usually do.

I’m not saying I NEVER get the issues you’ve mentioned, but it’s such an infrequent happenstance that I don’t dwell over it. Maybe once a month I have to push the button twice or something.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I don’t carry the physical key. I do not know that PaaK is as good as the key. Therefore I voted that it’s not as good but I don’t have trouble. 😊🐩

JryErok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME SR RWD Lucid Red
Country flag
1. Not as good as the fob but not having the issues below
2. December 2021, RWD standard range, European
3. OnePlus 6t
4. I keep the phone in my pocket

Now, the issue I'm having is that when I unlock the car by opening the back door on the passenger side, I need to stand in front of them which is not optimal as I usually approach the car from the back. When I stand behind the C-pillar, it does not unlock. I guess the car thinks I'm too far from the door to open it, especially that I always carry my phone in the left pocket. Also, sometimes the car will not unlock at first push of the button. The funny thing is that sometimes it would flash the lights at me at first push but still won't unlock until I push again.
I consider these minor issues though and love the PAAK overall.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
  1. PAAK isn’t as good as the fob, but I’m not having the issues below.
  2. 21 Premium AWD SR
  3. iPhone 14 Pro
  4. Not doing anything special
PAAK isn’t perfect, but it’s WAY better than carrying a fob. I’m down to 0 keys and working my way down to no wallet either. Is it perfect, no, but I’d take it any day over the fob.

Reactions: RSH

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have never used the fob so I am not sure if it works better.

However I never have to get my phone out of my pocket to get in the car.

98% of the time it opens on the first push. The other 2% of the time it opens on the second push.

2022 CA RT 1 fully updated and an iPhone 12.
That sounds like pretty good PaaK performance and would be just fine for many folks. If I only drove my car a few times per day AND if I was the only person who drives my car then PaaK might work for me too. But I drive a dozen or more times per day and I sometimes need someone else to operate the vehicle for a variety of reasons so the fob is far more convenient for me.

With the fob, the door opens on the first press every time, others can drive my car and the phone battery lasts much longer before needing to be recharged. These are reasons that make it worthwhile for me to carry the fob. Everybody uses their vehicles differently so it is cool that we have both options.

When the MME is retired as my daily driver then I will probably set up PaaK on my phone again and try using it instead of the fob. Should be fine.
Sponsored