The rising cost of gasoline isn't going to go away. [Admin warning: NO POLITICS]

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
All time high for oil was $140 back in 2008, and gas per gallon was around $4. Oil prices have been around $100, yet we were near $5 per gallon just a few weeks ago. Why is that?
Of course these prices don't take into account inflation. Cumulatively, we're up 37%+. So that $140 barrel of oil is $192.68 now, and that $4 gallon of gas is $5.51. So in fact we've hit no peaks this year.
Sponsored

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Good! While were at it, we should age out 85, 87, 89 & 91 octane. 93 and up only. This will allow smaller engines to run high compression thus more efficient. We should also build more nuclear plants to power EVs and to aid renewable energy in the power hungry process of creating carbon neutral synthetic gasoline.

At this point, nothing is more important than fighting climate change.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I’m just going to say that the list of products that don’t use oil products is much smaller then the list of products that do, fuels are only a fraction of what’s made and it’s not even the one with the best margins. That’s goes to lubricants. Plastics, asphalt, and your “fancy” (but super cheap to make) synthetic clothing and fabrics would all need to be sourced elsewhere. That elsewhere will be from super dirty non regulated refineries in other countries.

it’s a little mind boggling that people think eliminating domestic supply is the best way to reduce emissions vs reducing demand which is actually the correct way to do it. The out of sight out of mind mentality is very strong in Politics.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I’m just going to say that the list of products that don’t use oil products is much smaller then the list of products that do, fuels are only a fraction of what’s made and it’s not even the one with the best margins. That’s goes to lubricants. Plastics, asphalt, and your “fancy” (but super cheap to make) synthetic clothing and fabrics would all need to be sourced elsewhere. That elsewhere will be from super dirty non regulated refineries in other countries.

it’s a little mind boggling that people think eliminating domestic supply is the best way to reduce emissions vs reducing demand which is actually the correct way to do it. The out of sight out of mind mentality is very strong in Politics.
I'd like to see both domestic and global supply reduced. The Boomers, for decades, have had every opportunity to do the right thing but we're now at the point at which innovation needs to happen via a little bit of financial pain.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
It's easier to 'insert the plug'. ;)

BUT..... the cost of Grid Electricity is going up too. If you don't have Solar on your house already, add it! If you don't have enough to run the house AND the car, then expand the system!
Would love to expand my system, but my roof can't hold any more and I don't have room for a lawn mount system. Limited to a 2kW system (installed in 2015) which barely takes the edge off the bill.

Joys of a 120 year old home.

H.Bergeron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, Lightning
Country flag
Somehow people think reckless government spending is causing high gas prices with no mention of the record profits by the oil companies.
https://wapo.st/3btcFKD

The first sentence of the article: "The nation’s biggest oil companies — ExxonMobil and Chevron — saw their profits roughly triple in the second-quarter as Russia’s war in Ukraine upended global energy markets and left consumers stretching to cover record high pump prices."
You misunderstood. Reckless government spending AND high fuel prices cause inflation. Government restrictions on petroleum production causes the high fuel prices.

Also, industry profits do not cause high fuel prices, they’re the result of high fuel prices.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Charging from Solar during the day is best if the Solar is wherever the car is parked all day; work, school, home. Suck up the daytime surplus, and your EV becomes rolling battery backup to support the grid when needed as soon as 'easy' bi-directional chargers hit the market.
We have a better solution in California. During the day time when we have solar overproduction we pay the neighboring states to take the excesses. When we don't have enough in hot evening days we simply pay the same neighboring states to provide us with more electricity. Ingenious solution. We are so successful that we keep closing the last nuclear power plants in the state.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Would love to expand my system, but my roof can't hold any more and I don't have room for a lawn mount system. Limited to a 2kW system (installed in 2015) which barely takes the edge off the bill.

Joys of a 120 year old home.
.... any chance for a carport in driveway? I have seen that work in places where roof was not available

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I'd like to see both domestic and global supply reduced. The Boomers, for decades, have had every opportunity to do the right thing but we're now at the point at which innovation needs to happen via a little bit of financial pain.
You can’t just make it more expensive and expect adequate results unless the entire world makes it more expensive or you’ll just be moving supply around and destroying your own economy. You need build up infrastructure that reduces demand like a train system that covers most commute and travel destinations. Maybe stop incentivizing corn (we have enough junk food already) and maybe incentivize something like bamboo that can replace the synthetic fibers made from oil that we’ve been tricked into thinking they were so great.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
IMO, the biggest reason for climate change in the US is the subsidization of fossil fuels. Our European friends have always paid much more for fuel than we have. If you raise the price of something, demand goes down. Less usage, less pollution. I'd like to see the price of gas stay over $3 forever. Let the subsidies die away, and the consumers of the products pay the true cost.
That's not the reason gasoline its so expensive in Europe. It's mostly gas taxes. The gas tax is often 6-7x higher there.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also, industry profits do not cause high fuel prices, they’re the result of high fuel prices.
Exactly. Any manufacturer that sees the market price for their product go way up is gonna make record profits (unless their costs go up just as much).

Crude oil is an especially price-volatile commodity. They get clobbered when the price is low, and have to make hay when the price is high.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
That's not the reason gasoline its so expensive in Europe. It's mostly gas taxes. The gas tax is often 6-7x higher there.
Europe is absolutely incredible when it comes to ingenious energy solutions, and of course you need to pay for those good things through taxes. I have no doubt every EU citizen is absolutely happy to help the environment by paying slightly exorbitant taxes.
Germans, for example, spent about $2T € to build enough wind and solar capacity and yet they generate only 10% of their electricity, though those facilities on paper are capable of generating 200% of their peak electricity demand.
Apparently, they didn't take into account that the country is not that windy and not that sunny, but they didn't allow those minor issues to spoil their green programs. They solved those problems by using some creative accounting.
So when the sun goes down they use lignite power plants, that's the worst kind of coal in the world, burning more of that stuff than ever before. It's the least efficient fuel out there as it contains ~30% water by weight. It takes 24 hours to spin up a lignite power plant because that stuff is so wet and not very energy dense. So when the sun does come out in Germany and the solar starts generating electricity, they disconnect the lignite power plants from the grid, while they are still running and burning lignite. Since they are not connected to the grid they are not counted as working thus keeping their energy green. Problem solved. 😁

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Good! While were at it, we should age out 85, 87, 89 & 91 octane. 93 and up only. This will allow smaller engines to run high compression thus more efficient. We should also build more nuclear plants to power EVs and to aid renewable energy in the power hungry process of creating carbon neutral synthetic gasoline.

At this point, nothing is more important than fighting climate change.
@phil @RedStallion Go big or go home! We got this. :p

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
.... any chance for a carport in driveway? I have seen that work in places where roof was not available
Looked at a car port a few years ago, just for the car port. Based on what I would have to do to modify my house (make the nearby wall fireproof), it was cost prohibitive. Would also be a poor location for solar, shaded by my neighbors house.
Sponsored