The saga of the punctured tire and the cost of getting a new one(s)

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
You're talking about circumference, and I'm talking about width. Two different things.

Of course they'll fit. But that doesn't mean that a 10" tire on a 7" wheel without enough sidewall to make the transition is recommended or safe.
I already stated above in my comment that the 255 Yokos were actually within spec according to Yokohama’s website. I was a bit surprised at first but then remembered he went with 255/50s vs the preferred 245/50s, the additional sidewall height allows for a bit more “pinch” at the bead without excessive deformity. Yokohama knows better than generic tire size calcs. I’d be more upset about the additional 7 lbs per tire myself.

And yes, I can imagine the indirect, wallowing feeling those barely fitting 255s are going to impart on the usually very direct MME steering feel. A shame really.

Edit: Btw, that tire size chart is kinda garbage now that I look at it. I have OEM tire sizes that are supposedly out of spec based on what it says. And my car is made to handle.
Sponsored

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
I already stated above in my comment that the 255 Yokos were actually within spec according to Yokohama’s website. I was a bit surprised at first but then remembered he went with 255/50s vs the preferred 245/50s, the additional sidewall height allows for a bit more “pinch” at the bead without excessive deformity. Yokohama knows better than generic tire size calcs. I’d be more upset about the additional 7 lbs per tire myself.

And yes, I can imagine the indirect, wallowing feeling those barely fitting 255s are going to impart on the usually very direct MME steering feel. A shame really.

Exactly, if anything OP may see a drop in range due to those 255s being quite heavier than the oem sized one.

OP
OP
memcm_expert

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
All, I really appreciate the comments thus far on this saga yesterday. Regarding online tire purchases, I have not confirmed whether or not either online store front actually has them in stock or not and don't know if I will. But, I will say that if your car is going to be VOR, you can't wait for tires to be shipped. Nor should we be expected to. Ford could not locate a tire for me. Discount Tire, who I have used many times in the past could not locate one for me. And that left me with either being without my car for an extended period of time or going with the best option I had at the time.

Yes, I will probably lose a little range, I will have to do some testing to confirm that and how much it will be. If it's not tolerable, then I will put OEM tires back on the car as soon as I can get them. (Actually, since I only have 6112 miles on the car, I will probably get just 2, and maybe even 1).

My whole point in the post was to make people aware that if they get an unrepairable flat, they are not, at this time, going to be able to get a replacement tire (OEM) same day. Not going to happen until they get these tires out to the dealerships or retailers.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
All, I really appreciate the comments thus far on this saga yesterday. Regarding online tire purchases, I have not confirmed whether or not either online store front actually has them in stock or not and don't know if I will. But, I will say that if your car is going to be VOR, you can't wait for tires to be shipped. Nor should we be expected to. Ford could not locate a tire for me. Discount Tire, who I have used many times in the past could not locate one for me. And that left me with either being without my car for an extended period of time or going with the best option I had at the time.

Yes, I will probably lose a little range, I will have to do some testing to confirm that and how much it will be. If it's not tolerable, then I will put OEM tires back on the car as soon as I can get them. (Actually, since I only have 6112 miles on the car, I will probably get just 2, and maybe even 1).

My whole point in the post was to make people aware that if they get an unrepairable flat, they are not, at this time, going to be able to get a replacement tire (OEM) same day. Not going to happen until they get these tires out to the dealerships or retailers.
With 6112 miles I bet the other tires are showing almost no wear, I would do just one.

The only thing I don't like about a 255/50/19 is it's got a much higher load rating 107 vs 103 so they will wear differently than the factory tires. Technically with that load index, the tire should be inflated to 30-31psi

Last edited:

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Surprisingly, The Yoko 255 section width is approved for use on the 7” wide MME wheel according to Yoko’s site. However, as stated, Tire Rack has 225 and other options available for immediate shipment. I’d at least inquire about taking the incorrectly spec’d 255s back for 245/50s at the bare minimum.

And those 255s appear to weigh 7 lbs more EACH than the 225/55-19 oem size Yokohama CTX according to the specs. 28 additional lbs of rotating mass is a huge amount! You will see range degradation for sure due to the extra mass combined with the increased contact patch’s friction. A lot of the 245/50s come in around 29-30lbs so much less of a mass increase, plus you keep the same overall diameter as the OEM 225/55-19.

I have my eye on a set of the 245 Pirelli PZ4 summers that are on close out for $132 each to replace the 225 summer tire option that are on our 4X. Hope the deal is still on when it arrives in late October.
https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/yk740-gtx

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/yk-ctx

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtered=true&width=225/&ratio=55&diameter=19#0
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtered=true&width=225/&ratio=55&diameter=19#0
Even though tire sizes are standard how they are implemented is not. For instance my other mustang a restomod 1964 1/2 convertible had a set of cheap Chinese 275/35/18 tires on the rear 245/40/18 on the front. I replaced them with a better set in the same sizes. The original rear pair was the same width as my new front 245/40/18 tires

seattledan206

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E (Ordered), Mazda MX5 Club Model, Mazda CX3,
Occupation
Real Estate Photographer
Country flag
Why did you buy 4 new tires? Can't you just put on a slightly different size tire (maybe even a used one) while you wait for the new Michelin?
If you have miss matched tires, your traction control will think that one tire is slipping and apply the brake to the opposite tire. In an emergency you might want to do it just to get home, but in the long run it will be an unpleasant experience. This is why those spare tire kits are so expensive. They have to make sure the diameter and the friction equals the stock tire.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
If you have miss matched tires, your traction control will think that one tire is slipping and apply the brake to the opposite tire. In an emergency you might want to do it just to get home, but in the long run it will be an unpleasant experience. This is why those spare tire kits are so expensive. They have to make sure the diameter and the friction equals the stock tire.
How does that square up with cars that come with different sized tires on the front and back?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Exactly, if anything OP may see a drop in range due to those 255s being quite heavier than the oem sized one.
The lower inflation pressure required for a wider tire to get the correct contact patch is going to be a lot more responsible for a reduction in range than the weight of the tires.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
How does that square up with cars that come with different sized tires on the front and back?
Well, for one, they are designed that way. The springs, damping, and TC software starts out aware of this. If you square up a car designed with bigs/littles, you will have messed with the balance. Not saying that this would be horrible as each car is different, just that it’s outside of its original design parameters.

Reactions: ARK

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Hence why I am trying to get it resolved.
i tried checking the manual, thought it was in there, but this is normal, a bug hitting the windshield can even set it off, if it’s a sunny day just turn off the auto wiper. When you turn the car on if it does a single wipe the auto setting is on.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Modern traction control systems that utilize wheel speed sensors are not going to read the relatively small difference in wheel speed of a slightly larger/smaller diameter tire as a traction loss situation. You would have to really mismatch the diameter by a large amount to invoke TCS intervention. Also, while overall diameter needs to be close to the other tires, the long/lat grip of a spare tire is nowhere near that of the OEM rubber. Not even close.

Reactions: ARK

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
The lower inflation pressure required for a wider tire to get the correct contact patch is going to be a lot more responsible for a reduction in range than the weight of the tires.
Perhaps, but in the OP’s case he went with tires that are 7lbs more each than an equivalent OEM size. We’re not talking 1-2 lbs here, we’re talking 28 additional lbs of rotating mass. That will have a marked effect aside from any frictional losses.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Perhaps, but in the OP’s case he went with tires that are 7lbs more each than an equivalent OEM size. We’re not talking 1-2 lbs here, we’re talking 28 additional lbs of rotating mass. That will have a marked effect aside from any frictional losses.
I had someone try to tell me it does not make any differance. Just got my winters mounted up can't wait to try. They are 13lbs per wheel/tire less than factory or 52lbs total weight savings

Last edited:
OP
OP
memcm_expert

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
i tried checking the manual, thought it was in there, but this is normal, a bug hitting the windshield can even set it off, if it’s a sunny day just turn off the auto wiper. When you turn the car on if it does a single wipe the auto setting is on.
Here is the thing, I have had Audi's, BWM's, Lexus and an Acura with Rain Sensing Wipers. None of them have had this issue. So I can't buy into this is normal.

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Here is the thing, I have had Audi's, BWM's, Lexus and an Acura with Rain Sensing Wipers. None of them have had this issue. So I can't buy into this is normal.
And none of those are a Ford. While all those other auto makers may have a different way of handling their rain sensing wipers, this is unfortunately the normal for FORD and not a known issue. While I 100% agree with you that it is annoying, I don't think there is anything the dealership can do to "fix" this. It can maybe be addressed by Ford as an OTA? Not sure on that one.

But the dealership will definitely come back and say "This is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle", just like they did with the instrument cluster buzz many of us get ?

Raise a stink with Ford Corporate for change to the auto wipe settings! Start a trend... @Ford Motor Company #StopTheWipe! ?
Sponsored