The Three Car Seat Dilemma: Mach-E vs Competition

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Looking for advice and some grounding on this one.

Here's a bit of background: the nicest car we've ever owned is a Nissan Leaf; prior to that, the nicest car we'd owned was a Gen3 Toyota Prius that predated the Leaf by close to ten years. We love our Leaf. CarPlay support and the backup camera are luxury features to us, and while the 0-60 time isn't impressive, the car can throw me back in my seat even in "eco" mode and makes the short on-ramps where I live a lot more manageable. We got the Leaf specifically because it was the closest thing to a fully electric Prius at the time, and we figured we'd be fine with two children. But now we're thinking three (the clock is not yet ticking on that one), and the Leaf will be too small for that. Originally I didn't look at the competition, as there was only one choice: the Tesla Model X. I like Tesla as a company (wish the CEO would lay off of Twitter, but I admire his drive and the way he is changing the world), and the Model X - while more expensive than I'd ever thought I'd pay for a car - seemed the best choice for performance and space. But that was when the Model X was a $90,000 vehicle (as a six-seater), and before they changed the steering wheel to a yoke without any control stalks and raised the price to a $105,000 vehicle. I am incredibly fortunate to be able to say that we can comfortably afford that, but we tend to be frugal, and for that price it needs to be absolutely perfect. Unfortunately the list of things I worry about with the Model X is more than just one or two items. I haven't totally given up on it, and if they ever actually start shipping them to stores then I'll go and see one of the revised versions for myself, but now I'm looking at other options. The ideal vehicles would be the Chrysler Portal (still a concept; presumably on hold as they're not sticking to their original time frame) or the VW ID.Buzz (a bit ugly in my mind, but functional; however, delayed to late 2022 in the US which will likely be too late for us), so it seems a large SUV will be the best option at present. I saw the post on this forum about three car seats in the back, and it piqued my interest.

I went to see a Mach-E Premium (which is the trim I'd buy) about a month ago, and I was floored. You can already tell my bar was probably fairly low, given the vehicles I'm coming from. The amount of space; the 360-degree camera view with radar lines on the large infotainment screen; wireless charging with wireless CarPlay; that panoramic glass ceiling... and more. I was sold. The dealer's excessive markup is basically all that kept me from making the purchase right on the spot. They said they wouldn't add markup if I ordered online, and knowing that the 2022 orders are going to open soon, I settled in and figured I'd just read more about the Mach-E, mostly wondering if they'll give us some new colors for 2022.

While waiting I've been considering other options. The Audi E-tron never really appealed to me, although it does have larger dimensions and might afford more room to the back seat. The Model Y's third row is cramped, but workable for small children (although I dislike that little ones can't really poke their heads above the seat, and based on some reviews I've read, rely on the panoramic glass roof for a view of what's happening outside). This won't be the last electric vehicle we ever buy, but leasing might buy us some time until more EV's hit the market... but leasing options (and vehicle availability, in general - including the ability to see and test-drive) are pretty limited right now, making all of this even more difficult.

I'm leaning more heavily toward the Mach-E, and given that this is a Mach-E forum, I don't have any illusions about what the general consensus is probably going to be. Yet people on this forum seem to have a surprising level of knowledge about vehicles in a similar class (or higher) as the Mach-E. I'm not looking for validation so much as general thoughts, whether about vehicles or general approach given the weird times we're living in.

Also, shout-out to @Kamuelaflyer - nice to see another local user, and I have appreciated many of your insights across the forum, as well.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
If your goal is 3 across car seats in the back, I don't think the Mach-e would work for you. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the middle seat has anchors for a car seat. Even the upcoming F150 Lighting (full size truck) doesn't do 3 across car seats.

To fit 3 car seats safely, I think you really need a 3 row vehicle unfortunately.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

Here's a bit of background: the nicest car we've ever owned is a Nissan Leaf; prior to that, the nicest car we'd owned was a Gen3 Toyota Prius that predated the Leaf by close to ten years. We love our Leaf. CarPlay support and the backup camera are luxury features to us, and while the 0-60 time isn't impressive, the car can throw me back in my seat even in "eco" mode and makes the short on-ramps where I live a lot more manageable. We got the Leaf specifically because it was the closest thing to a fully electric Prius at the time, and we figured we'd be fine with two children. But now we're thinking three (the clock is not yet ticking on that one), and the Leaf will be too small for that. Originally I didn't look at the competition, as there was only one choice: the Tesla Model X. I like Tesla as a company (wish the CEO would lay off of Twitter, but I admire his drive and the way he is changing the world), and the Model X - while more expensive than I'd ever thought I'd pay for a car - seemed the best choice for performance and space. But that was when the Model X was a $90,000 vehicle (as a six-seater), and before they changed the steering wheel to a yoke without any control stalks and raised the price to a $105,000 vehicle. I am incredibly fortunate to be able to say that we can comfortably afford that, but we tend to be frugal, and for that price it needs to be absolutely perfect. Unfortunately the list of things I worry about with the Model X is more than just one or two items. I haven't totally given up on it, and if they ever actually start shipping them to stores then I'll go and see one of the revised versions for myself, but now I'm looking at other options. The ideal vehicles would be the Chrysler Portal (still a concept; presumably on hold as they're not sticking to their original time frame) or the VW ID.Buzz (a bit ugly in my mind, but functional; however, delayed to late 2022 in the US which will likely be too late for us), so it seems a large SUV will be the best option at present. I saw the post on this forum about three car seats in the back, and it piqued my interest.

I went to see a Mach-E Premium (which is the trim I'd buy) about a month ago, and I was floored. You can already tell my bar was probably fairly low, given the vehicles I'm coming from. The amount of space; the 360-degree camera view with radar lines on the large infotainment screen; wireless charging with wireless CarPlay; that panoramic glass ceiling... and more. I was sold. The dealer's excessive markup is basically all that kept me from making the purchase right on the spot. They said they wouldn't add markup if I ordered online, and knowing that the 2022 orders are going to open soon, I settled in and figured I'd just read more about the Mach-E, mostly wondering if they'll give us some new colors for 2022.

While waiting I've been considering other options. The Audi E-tron never really appealed to me, although it does have larger dimensions and might afford more room to the back seat. The Model Y's third row is cramped, but workable for small children (although I dislike that little ones can't really poke their heads above the seat, and based on some reviews I've read, rely on the panoramic glass roof for a view of what's happening outside). This won't be the last electric vehicle we ever buy, but leasing might buy us some time until more EV's hit the market... but leasing options (and vehicle availability, in general - including the ability to see and test-drive) are pretty limited right now, making all of this even more difficult.

I'm leaning more heavily toward the Mach-E, and given that this is a Mach-E forum, I don't have any illusions about what the general consensus is probably going to be. Yet people on this forum seem to have a surprising level of knowledge about vehicles in a similar class (or higher) as the Mach-E. I'm not looking for validation so much as general thoughts, whether about vehicles or general approach given the weird times we're living in.

Also, shout-out to @Kamuelaflyer - nice to see another local user, and I have appreciated many of your insights across the forum, as well.
3 car seats? If other owners say they’ll fit I’m not one to disagree because we only installed our 1 car seat in the middle seat on our overnight test drive. But, the EV Explorer is coming in ‘23 if you can wait. Otherwise, go for the MME Premium now.

As for the Model X, well, $105K for a K.I.T.T. Yoke and falcon rear doors ain’t happening, acceleration be damned.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
If your goal is 3 across car seats in the back, I don't think the Mach-e would work for you. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the middle seat has anchors for a car seat. Even the upcoming F150 Lighting (full size truck) doesn't do 3 across car seats.

To fit 3 car seats safely, I think you really need a 3 row vehicle unfortunately.
Once your kiddo is past approx. 45lbs (varies by seat maker) you are no longer supposed to use the Latch anchors anyway, need to use the belt/tether. So, if your biggest child is 45ish lbs or whatever the car seat maker states, you use the belt in the middle. That’s how we tested ours out.

Last edited:

Wk217

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E 4X, '13 Ford C-Max, '15 Ford Flex
Country flag
Lol, was there a question in there?
If it was a question of whether you can fit 3 car seats across, the answer is yes, but it all depends on what car seats you choose.

As for the center seat not having latch attachment points, latch system IIRC was designed to make it easier to install a car seat correctly, but you can definitely safely install car seats with the seat belts and the tether points on the seat back.

For reference, I have an older Graco on the driver's side and a Diono in the middle. I can easily fit a carrier/base or another larger child seat on the passenger side.
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Three Car Seat Dilemma: Mach-E vs Competition Screenshot_20210908-194042

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

@ChasingCoral has a leaf and a grabber blue FE Mach-e. He might be able to give you some insight into the cars and your questions.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The dealer's excessive markup is basically all that kept me from making the purchase right on the spot. They said they wouldn't add markup if I ordered online, and knowing that the 2022 orders are going to open soon, I settled in and figured I'd just read more about the Mach-E, mostly wondering if they'll give us some new colors for 2022
The markup has several aspects in Hawaii as you’re well aware of.

First, there’s the “It’s Hawaii, where else you going to go to buy it markup.” That’s traditional and is usually, though not always, low enough that buying on the mainland and shipping on Matson or Pasha would be more expensive. That’s not always true though. We bought our 2020 Raptor on the mainland and still saved even after shipping and paying the Hawaii GET. (There’s a credit towards GET for the amount of taxes you paid to the other state btw)

Second, there’s the “It’s a hot commodity markup.” That’ll apply to anything new and with 4 wheels right now,. The Mach-e is extra hot. Ordering may get you around that problem.

If ordering on online is an option for you, it’s what most of us did, get the no adm in writing from the dealer. If they push too hard, find a xplan dealer in California, get the xplan and no adm in writing, then buy a cheap round trip ticket on Hawaiian or Southwest when the car arrives. Matson is faster imo btw.

Shipping: The cars go to Kansas City Kansas, then to Kansas City Mo, then via BNSF to San Diego more or less paralleling I-40. That’s the fast part. They then sit in San Diego until Venus aligns with Mars and the Moon is in the third house. Expect it to sit there for about a month in other words. After that it’s Pasha to Honolulu, or Maui or Hilo —all on Pasha. Kauai? Young Brothers from Honolulu. Total shipping time? 11 to 13 weeks.

I settled in and figured I'd just read more about the Mach-E, mostly wondering if they'll give us some new colors for 2022.
The story is that there was a paint factory fire that restricted color pigments. That’s supposedly why infinite blue and carbonized grey went away. While those colors are back on other cars and trucks, it does not look like they’ll be back on the MME. The Mach-e is a limited production vehicle, so that may be why.

With all that said, white is a safe color here. If you haven’t seen the rapid red MMEs, go look for one. They look hot.

3 in the back: I can’t comment on that as all our kids these days are furry Hawaiian lions that go meow. Only 1 likes riding in cars too, so …

Last edited:

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
3 in the back is going to be tight. it'd be tight in the X as well.
Sponsored