jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This video shows you, how long it takes until a DC fast charger starts to charge.

I show 5 examples.

Nothing says "Welcome to the future1" like seeing an EV owner trying 3 or 4 different plugs to try and charge. I've taken two long road trips, and I'd say 90% of the time, I plugged in and was charging 30-45 seconds later. But that 10% where I've had to unplug/plug-in several times, or back up and pull into a different stall, or go into FordPass and disable PNC, was really frustrating, especially considering I am totally dependent on charging working at that single location to get to my next stop and I was hundreds of miles from home. That distinctive spinning-up sound of the charger actually starting to charge should be a sound I play before I go to sleep at night, it brought me peace of mind.

Also, good work on the one-handed plug-in -- I always feel like I'm wrestling a firehose if I lose any slack at all in the cable.

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
Nothing says "Welcome to the future1" like seeing an EV owner trying 3 or 4 different plugs to try and charge. I've taken two long road trips, and I'd say 90% of the time, I plugged in and was charging 30-45 seconds later. But that 10% where I've had to unplug/plug-in several times, or back up and pull into a different stall, or go into FordPass and disable PNC, was really frustrating, especially considering I am totally dependent on charging working at that single location to get to my next stop and I was hundreds of miles from home. That distinctive spinning-up sound of the charger actually starting to charge should be a sound I play before I go to sleep at night, it brought me peace of mind.

Also, good work on the one-handed plug-in -- I always feel like I'm wrestling a firehose if I lose any slack at all in the cable.
Thank you.

It was for me same sort of feeling. I really feel relieved once they finally start. I do not want to hunt for chargers.

Just last weekend I had it were 2 EVGo's both would not work, after 20 min on the phone with them I went to the chargepoint which was blocked off. Already the parking lot design sucked there. So I had to wait.
And once it finally worked I realized that they charge 5 dollar connection fee. I only needed to add 20 miles.
I ended up paying 6.50 for 20 miles...

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Thanks for the video! How do you stop the charging process? Some on this forum say that you should stop it from the button on the car. I am getting tired of seeing Charge Station Faults every time I go to an EA station!!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thanks for the video! How do you stop the charging process? Some on this forum say that you should stop it from the button on the car. I am getting tired of seeing Charge Station Faults every time I go to an EA station!!
I'm confused... You know how to stop it from the vehicle but haven't tried it yet, though you're tired of the fault-inducing way?

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
I just stop at the station and stop next with the button next to the cord plug at the car and ignore any error codes if any

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I'm confused... You know how to stop it from the vehicle but haven't tried it yet, though you're tired of the fault-inducing way?
Maybe my post was confusing! Lol Still have not had a successful Plug and Charge at EA but might be because I tried it too soon after enrollment? Driving up to Orlando next week so I will try again on the way back.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Thank you.

It was for me same sort of feeling. I really feel relieved once they finally start. I do not want to hunt for chargers.

Just last weekend I had it were 2 EVGo's both would not work, after 20 min on the phone with them I went to the chargepoint which was blocked off. Already the parking lot design sucked there. So I had to wait.
And once it finally worked I realized that they charge 5 dollar connection fee. I only needed to add 20 miles.
I ended up paying 6.50 for 20 miles...
Tried out my Chargepoint account for the first time today. It was just a level 2 charger so only got 3% battery boost after being on the charger for 45 minutes! It cost 94 cents but then they added $10 of free charging to my account. Gave my Wife plenty of time to spend more money at Kohl’s!$! Lol

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Tried out my Chargepoint account for the first time today. It was just a level 2 charger so only got 3% battery boost after being on the charger for 45 minutes! It cost 94 cents but then they added $10 of free charging to my account. Gave my Wife plenty of time to spend more money at Kohl’s!$! Lol
I misunderstood the $10 of free charging thing the first time I used ChargePoint, too... Check your credit card bill.

It turns out they work like a debit account. Anytime your prepaid balance falls below $5, ChargePoint charges your credit card $10 and adds this amount to your CP credit balance.

I used a CP station a few times during a road trip and paid something like $7.50 in charge fees. But ChargePoint charged me $10 and then another $10 the next day.

The first $10 was because I'd just opened the account and had a $0 balance and incurred about $3.75 in energy costs. So my remaining balance after that was about $6.25.

Then I returned to that location the next day and charged the MME again... Another $3.75 or so, which dropped my balance to $2.50... but as soon as it dropped below $5, CP hit me for another $10.

So in exchange for my $20 paid to them for $7.50 in services received, I get to loan them $12.50 in credit until next time I need to refuel at CP. ?

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I misunderstood the $10 of free charging thing the first time I used ChargePoint, too... Check your credit card bill.

It turns out they work like a debit account. Anytime your prepaid balance falls below $5, ChargePoint charges your credit card $10 and adds this amount to your CP credit balance.

I used a CP station a few times during a road trip and paid something like $7.50 in charge fees. But ChargePoint charged me $10 and then another $10 the next day.

The first $10 was because I'd just opened the account and had a $0 balance and incurred about $3.75 in energy costs. So my remaining balance after that was about $6.25.

Then I returned to that location the next day and charged the MME again... Another $3.75 or so, which dropped my balance to $2.50... but as soon as it dropped below $5, CP hit me for another $10.

So in exchange for my $20 paid to them for $7.50 in services received, I get to loan them $12.50 in credit until next time I need to refuel at CP. ?
Yes, that's how CP works. They also like to charge a session fee, or parking fee, or both.
Sponsored