Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
When you're discussing different countries I think it's important to look at the per capita numbers rather than absolutes. China has 1.4B people compared to about 330M for the US or 445M for the EU.

Our World in Data pulls in pulls in CO2 info from the Global Carbon Project and lets you format it in pretty clear graphs/charts/maps. It's an interesting site to dig in to.

https://ourworldindata.org/per-capita-co2

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Truth About Electric Cars Biggest Problem co-emissions-per-capita
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
technically true that due to covid19 restrictions our CO2 emissions have gone down ----There was a decrease in 2019, which dates well before the COV-19 issue. The USA actually leads the world in reducing CO2 emissions since 2005 with China upping their by 50% and India by 88% in that time frame.
Can you cite a source for that?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Goggle is your first step. I will wait for others to post their replies.
When asked about one's sources, saying "go Googe it" makes no sense at all. There are lots of sources of information out there. They question is which one are you getting your information from?

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag
Goggle is your first step. I will wait for others to post their replies.
Ah, the ole "Goggle it" when asked for sources of something you initially posted as fact.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
When making a claim the onus for evidence is on the person making the claim, not the person asking for that evidence....

Just say'n.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Don't know if its still true, but I think at one point in time even if the USA cut their emissions to 0. It wouldn't have made a difference due to the growing emissions out of China & India.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Don't know if its still true, but I think at one point in time even if the USA cut their emissions to 0. It wouldn't have made a difference due to the growing emissions out of China & India.
This was never true. Total emissions matter. It's on all of us, especially those of us in countries who create the most per capita emissions and who have produced the most historical emissions.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This was never true. Total emissions matter. It's on all of us, especially those of us in countries who create the most per capita emissions and who have produced the most historical emissions.
I think I was referring to total emissions. I came across that "fact" a few years ago so don't remember the details. Maybe it was based on "if China & India were still moving at the rate they were going".

It may not be true, but I think its theoretically possible that a country the size of the US could cut emissions to zero and still not solve the problem due to other countries increasing output.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think I was referring to total emissions. I came across that "fact" a few years ago so don't remember the details. Maybe it was based on "if China & India were still moving at the rate they were going".

It may not be true, but I think its theoretically possible that a country the size of the US could cut emissions to zero and still not solve the problem due to other countries increasing output.
You're absolutely right. We can't solve the problem alone. Neither can any other country. We're all causing the problem and must all be part of the solution.

The same thing applies to individuals. We need to all do our part and make sure our governments (local, state, Federal) are doing their parts as well.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
You're absolutely right. We can't solve the problem alone. Neither can any other country. We're all causing the problem and must all be part of the solution.

The same thing applies to individuals. We need to all do our part and make sure our governments (local, state, Federal) are doing their parts as well.
? THIS

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I don't really disagree with you. But I'll withhold any comments on government involvement to avoid any political debate. I'm sure my thoughts are in the minority here.?

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
All this belongs in the other part of the forum where you can discuss such. This thread isn't about such.
Well, that's a very interesting response considering you raised the topic:

technically true that due to covid19 restrictions our CO2 emissions have gone down ----There was a decrease in 2019, which dates well before the COV-19 issue. The USA actually leads the world in reducing CO2 emissions since 2005 with China upping their by 50% and India by 88% in that time frame.
Sponsored