Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Electrify America's DCFC network has a very good coverage of the US currently.

EA Status:

• 406 locations in the USA with 1400 stalls with 70 more locations coming this year (supposedly)
  • Average of 4 stall per location
  • 150kw up to 350kw capability
  • Along major interstates and roadways, typically near Points of interest.
  • Coast to cost travel, east - west and north-south possible

By the end of this year when Mach E's are delivered, we should have roughly 480 chargers to pick from in the USA which is continued to grow.

Tesla's SC network as of 2017-2018
(when buyers decided to purchase a model 3)
  • 373 supercharging locations with 2,736 stalls in the USA in 2017 which grew to 600 by end of 2018.
  • Average of 7 stalls per location
  • 150KW capability
  • Slowly rolling out 250KW capability to new chargers
  • Along major interstates and roadways, typically near points of interest.
  • Coast to coast travel, east-west and north-south possible.

I think that the current EA charging network is adaquit enough location wise, considering when we look back at history and what Model 3 owners bought and were willing to deal with.

Future expansion:

• EA - 800 total charging station sites with about 3,500 chargers by December 2021
  • Tesla - 846 total charging sites (estimate) with an estimated 6,046 stalls by December 2020

Thoughts on this? When we look back at what sold people on the Model 3 part of it was Tesla's supercharging network. Well, EA's supercharging network in my opinion is growing equal and at the same point that Tesla was at when it released their mass market car. The only difference is the Lack of stalls at each location, which shouldn't be an issue.

There are also currently 250+ other CCS 3rd party DC fast charging locations in America (ChargePoint & others) capable of outputting a minimum of 50kw/hr. That will grow with EA's network and all be shown on the SYNC 4.0 system.

By the end of 2021, we could be looking at 1,200+ total DC fast charging options with CCS. That is across all suppliers of chargers. 50KW/hr minimum DC charge rate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RidetheLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1968 Mustang, 2007 Mustang GT
Country flag
What got me spooked was all the electric vehicle commercials during the Super Bowl. I began to wonder if we will all have enough charging stations available, especially in major markets.

I do contracted work at a university and one lot has close to 50 EV charging spots and they are always full.

OP
OP
mark360

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
What got me spooked was all the electric vehicle commercials during the Super Bowl. I began to wonder if we will all have enough charging stations available, especially in major markets.

I do contracted work at a university and one lot has close to 50 EV charging spots and they are always full.
Haha, are those spots free charging locations through Chargepoint? EA shouldn't see too high of demand because the cost is rather high. It's only slightly cheaper than filling up an ICE. Would really curve demand use unless you're traveling. Plus the other 250+ 50kw charging locations may be better value for people who are looking for a better price.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
I’d like to see a better EA rollout in NJ, especially Central NJ and the Jersey Shore. Tesla is further ahead in our area, especially with Superchargers along the Garden State Parkway and NJ Turnpike, while EA is virtually non-existent.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Just remember that a MME with its CCS-Combo Type 1 plug is compatible with most other companies' DC fast chargers as well. Most of these currently support both CCS-Combo and CHADEMO.

OP
OP
mark360

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Just remember that a MME with its CCS-Combo Type 1 plug is compatible with most other companies' DC fast chargers as well. Most of these currently support both CCS-Combo and CHADEMO.
Yep, there are 250 other individual locations in the USA that support DCFC that is not apart of my EA numbers. That would put them currently up to 700+ locations by EoY and possible 1,200+ by 2021.

For my analysis I wanted to make sure I only included EA vs Tesla with 150Kw+ Fast charging. When you broaden your range, it becomes apparent that there are way more 3rd party options than Tesla.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Haha, are those spots free charging locations through Chargepoint? EA shouldn't see too high of demand because the cost is rather high. It's only slightly cheaper than filling up an ICE. Would really curve demand use unless you're traveling. Plus the other 250+ 50kw charging locations may be better value for people who are looking for a better price.
Yep, we really need to separate them into two major categories: road trip chargers, and local chargers.

EA is going mostly after the ROAD TRIP market. That's DCFC where people need near-full charges in less than an hour as a stop toward a distant destination. That also includes some chargers in cities too as people on road trips still go through cities, or need fast chargers when they get there on a visit. It makes sense that DCFC charges a premium price because it's for customers that rarely use it and are willing to pay a premium to enable the road trip.

The LOCAL market is people commuting and running around near home (routine daily charging). Most of those people will charge at home (their house, or apartment/condo). Or at their workplace/school/hotel. That's typically L2 charging where workers/customers are parked for many hours.

Some people don't have somewhere they can charge overnight or at work or school. Frankly, those people probably aren't good fits for getting a BEV in the first place, as they'd be stuck relying on retail charging all the time, and scavenging wherever they can along the way. Most people won't put up with that. I don't expect that to be a big share of the market. And I think it would be a mistake to waste a lot of resources building chargers to fit that segment.

EA should continue to focus on ROAD TRIP chargers, IMO. And cities/developers/businesses should focus on getting more private L2 chargers in place in homes, business, and schools reserved for their residents/customers.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I’d like to see a better EA rollout in NJ, especially Central NJ and the Jersey Shore. Tesla is further ahead in our area, especially with Superchargers along the Garden State Parkway and NJ Turnpike, while EA is virtually non-existent.
The good news is that the bill Murphy signed in January "targets" putting 400 new fast chargers along the NJTP, GS PWY, and AC EXPWY. It is termed a "target", but they are allocating funding for it so at the very least the shore should get better.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
EA has done a remarkable job with the quick expansion but there remains significant 'holes" in its network as with other networks including Tesla. The UP of Michigan does not have any fast charging location including Tesla. Further expansion is needed.

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
This post made me reflect on how much work is yet to be done before the typical consumer is comfortable buying an electric car - MME to the CCS to the CHADEMO - WTF?! Until it’s as easy as unleaded versus premium, ?‍♂

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
This post made me reflect on how much work is yet to be done before the typical consumer is comfortable buying an electric car - MME to the CCS to the CHADEMO - WTF?! Until it’s as easy as unleaded versus premium, ?‍♂
Oh don't worry about the charge plug. The remainder of what we need to learn will be far more difficult.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Oh don't worry about the charge plug. The remainder of what we need to learn will be far more difficult.

You can tell that's old, he doesn't mention calibating the nacelles for phase invariants due to tachyon pulse emissions

OP
OP
mark360

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
what their development page shows is only about 4 months worth. They plan on having 800+ stations by December 2021, or 16 a month average. They have already added 6 new in the past week I’ve been watching.
Sponsored