TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's almost like the difference between driving and flying. Driving (ICE) is more of a "just get in the car and go" thing. You didn't have to pre-plan the route and the refuels, worry about detours, etc. Gas stations are virtually everywhere and take just a couple of minutes to refuel, so refueling is a virtual non-issue.

But in a BEV it's almost the equivalent of "filing a flight plan" (if it's a lengthy trip). Need to pre-plan the route to make sure there's sufficient chargers of sufficient power (with backup options), and adjust for weight and temperature and speed. And unplanned detours require new route planning to make sure it can actually be done, and done safely. And the refueling is almost like an airplane "layover" due to the significantly longer time it takes.

Still usually possible, but it just takes longer and requires far more careful planning.
Sponsored

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
It's almost like the difference between driving and flying. Driving (ICE) is more of a "just get in the car and go" thing. You didn't have to pre-plan the route and the refuels, worry about detours, etc. Gas stations are virtually everywhere and take just a couple of minutes to refuel, so refueling is a virtual non-issue.

But in a BEV it's almost the equivalent of "filing a flight plan" (if it's a lengthy trip). Need to pre-plan the route to make sure there's sufficient chargers of sufficient power (with backup options). And unplanned detours require new route planning to make sure it can actually be done, and done safely. And the refueling is almost like an airplane "layover" due to the significantly longer time it takes.

Still usually possible, but it just takes longer and requires far more careful planning.
Welcome to the future. Some day you'll be able to charge while driving with induction charging from circuits in the highway and/or 600 mile batteries. :cool:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Welcome to the future. Some day you'll be able to charge while driving with induction charging from circuits in the highway and/or 600 mile batteries. :cool:
600 miles batteries may happen in my lifetime (maybe even this decade). A quantum leap in battery engineering could happen any year now (then take a few years to make it to mass production). Energy density (more kWh stored in less size and weight) is king.

I wouldn't hold out for that induction charging on highways though. While it may technically be possible, that one one looks highly implausible on that scale.

The biggest help will likely come simply from better highway coverage of fast chargers (150+ kW). By mid-decade, hopefully we'll see 3x the highway coverage of charging stations, by multiple (competing) companies.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
For me the 70kW filter on PlugShare shows I can going anywhere except Wyoming and the Dakotas.
We all have our own tolerance for waiting around. Over the past year of zero gas, I’ve figured mine out.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
600 miles batteries may happen in my lifetime (maybe even this decade). A quantum leap in battery engineering could happen any year now (then take a few years to make it to mass production). Energy density (more kWh stored in less size and weight) is king.

I wouldn't hold out for that induction charging on highways though. While it may technically be possible, that one one looks highly implausible on that scale.

The biggest help will likely come simply from better highway coverage of fast chargers (150+ kW). By mid-decade, hopefully we'll see 3x the highway coverage of charging stations, by multiple (competing) companies.
And some government financing/incentives to help them on the development of the infrastructure.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag

600 mile batteries will put a severe dent in ICE sales.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
For me the 70kW filter on PlugShare shows I can going anywhere except Wyoming and the Dakotas.
We all have our own tolerance for waiting around. Over the past year of zero gas, I’ve figured mine out.
Drop your requirement to 50 kW and you pick up Bismarck, ND

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
600 mile batteries will put a severe dent in ICE sales.
IF they're cheap enough to put them on par with ICE vehicles. That's still a big problem with even a 250 mile battery now -- it raises the cost of the vehicle so much that it still keeps most consumers buying ICE.

But put a 600 mile battery in a Mach-e at a cost that lets the vehicle sell for $39,000 instead of $59,000, and yes, serious dent in ICE sales.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You are more likely to see induction charging stalls than highways. Instead of plugging in, just park above the X and wait....

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I am not as hell bent on cannon balling my trips as I used to be. All I want is the ability to drive to some of the destinations I normally go on vacation to (South and the Coast), knowing that I can stop for a reasonable break and top off without having to wait an hour for a stall to charge in.

That. to me is going to be the next challenge . . . how many stalls there are. I think the MME is going to put more of a strain on available stalls as EV adoption increases. Yes, I know the planner will tell you about open stalls, the next logical step would be to let us virtually "get in line" based on arrival time. I know there have to be some geniuses somewhere thinking about all of these logistics.

The MME is going to give me all I think I need right now in terms of range and charge except for those 2-3 times a year when I will have to plan. But that may be some of the fun of it too!

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I am not as hell bent on cannon balling my trips as I used to be. All I want is the ability to drive to some of the destinations I normally go on vacation to (South and the Coast), knowing that I can stop for a reasonable break and top off without having to wait an hour for a stall to charge in.

That. to me is going to be the next challenge . . . how many stalls there are. I think the MME is going to put more of a strain on available stalls as EV adoption increases. Yes, I know the planner will tell you about open stalls, the next logical step would be to let us virtually "get in line" based on arrival time. I know there have to be some geniuses somewhere thinking about all of these logistics.

The MME is going to give me all I think I need right now in terms of range and charge except for those 2-3 times a year when I will have to plan. But that may be some of the fun of it too!
I don't think charging stall availability is going to be a problem anytime soon.

A check of Plugshare on any random charging station in the middle of nowhere often times shows no check-ins for days. Kelly Blue Book did a cross-country drive in an e-tron and notably said they never saw another car charging the entire way from NYC to LA.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't think charging stall availability is going to be a problem anytime soon.

A check of Plugshare on any random charging station in the middle of nowhere often times shows no check-ins for days. Kelly Blue Book did a cross-country drive in an e-tron and notably said they never saw another car charging the entire way from NYC to LA.
And that, I think, is part of the reason EA pricing is so high. Most of these stations are rarely in use, and thus generating very little in the way of revenues (in the US, anyway).

That should be evolving (at least some) over the next few years though. 2021/22 looks like the timeframe where BEVs start to take a significant leap in market share, especially for non-Teslas. Granted, that'll still only be a few more% of overall market share, but it should be enough to double and triple the non-Tesla BEVs on the road. Then those chargers should get more use.

But the retail charging business will always be a tiny fraction of what the gas station business now is, simply because the vast majority of BEV charging is done at home. Retail will always need to be priced at a significant premium due to limited usage.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
There's a huge "secret" Electrify America station in Arizona that's for private use only. 25 DC fast chargers from 50kW to 350kW plus L2 charging.

4:53 mark

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Another bump for July 10th:
444 sites, 111 future sites, 1516 CCS fast chargers 443 CHAdeMo chargers 100 level 2 chargers
slow week of July 17th
445 sites, 110 future sites, 1522 CCS fast chargers, 444 CHAdeMo chargers, 100 level 2 chargers

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm waiting for them to drop a bunch of new future sites. There's a ton of places that need stations but aren't even on the map yet.

445 +110 = 555 active or planned out of 800 due by end of 2021.
Sponsored