silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Here's something that confuses me. Volkswagen owns Electrify America and they have released both the e-tron and Taycan, but neither of them have plug & charge capability. Why is that? Contrast that to the MME which supposedly will have plug & charge on day one.

So I am not sure your characterization of the FordPass is accurate. There's actually a fairbit of backend development that went into it what we're going to see in Ford's EVs. It's looking increasingly likely to me that the FordPass' EV functionality is the result of many years of effort to actually develop the communication protocols and Ford is just sitting on it before sharing it with VW.

If you want to geek out on ISO 15118, watch the CharIN symposium on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQEWRRBqQIxfCLBLhs1TWJQ
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
A couple of thoughts here:
  • I agree that Ford needs to contribute in some way to make DCFC charging more worry free (ie widely available, reliable, and affordable). I don't think it necessarily needs to be Ford branded, but certainly the Ford brand's success in the BEV space is contingent upon the reliability of whoever's network does provide that service. Clearly the evidence (from Kyle of out-of-spec and others) suggests that EA is not currently fulfilling that need. That IS a problem for Ford that needs to be addressed. I can say with absolute certainty that one of my criteria for which BEV I buy IS the charging network, including availability, reliability, and cost. The most generous score I can give Ford in that regard is a 1 out of 3.
  • The same principle of not tolerating substandard performance also applies to Tesla as well. It is beyond ludicrous that after 10 years they still haven't figured out how to paint a car properly, particularly when they charge so much more for their color choices. $2000 for bad red paint is chutzpah of the highest order. An unwillingness to address shoddy craftsmanship gives significant negative points for Tesla in my calculus.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We just need more of the PHEVs available - Toyota Rav4 Prime not yet available widely. My one way commute everyday is about 40 miles, very few PHEvs available at this time that can go that distance just on battery - Ideally I charge at home drive to work, charge at work all day and drive back all on electric - very few options out there (Escape is available now) for that but when available, PHEVs for next 5ish years seem to be optimal options espcially for those not wanting to have a second ICE only vehicle.
The Rav4 Prime is the only PHEV out there I would be thinking about and Toyota is only sending 5,000 to the US this year. The Escape PHEV is close but really doesn't measure up.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
A couple of thoughts here:
  • I agree that Ford needs to contribute in some way to make DCFC charging more worry free (ie widely available, reliable, and affordable). I don't think it necessarily needs to be Ford branded, but certainly the Ford brand's success in the BEV space is contingent upon the reliability of whoever's network does provide that service.
I think they will and it will start with the F-150 BEV.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Don't forget that driving an EV is much different then driving an ICE. From viewing many You Tube videos when people start driving their EV's they don't want to return to the ICE and leave them sitting in the driveway. I'm retired to and my driving on long trips is different now then before, I mean more relax and not such in a hurry so with the MME and it's driving 360 deg. driving assist systems it will yet improve that in a better way.
Yep. That's us. With the Leaf and a Tacoma pickup, the pickup is used for pickup trips, the Leaf for everything else. Currently, for longer road trips we borrow the Prius back from our daughter. Once we have the Mach E that will be our road-tripper hands down -- charging stops and all.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Rav4 Prime is the only PHEV out there I would be thinking about and Toyota is only sending 5,000 to the US this year. The Escape PHEV is close but really doesn't measure up.
Maybe the Niro PHEV as well.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe the Niro PHEV as well.
The only thing I don't like about PHEV is that in winter times if you want the heater to work the engine has to run other wise it does not produce heat.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep. That's us. With the Leaf and a Tacoma pickup, the pickup is used for pickup trips, the Leaf for everything else. Currently, for longer road trips we borrow the Prius back from our daughter. Once we have the Mach E that will be our road-tripper hands down -- charging stops and all.
And similarly, many will use the Mach-e as a home base car, and take an ICE on road trips because of the slow refueling drawbacks.

In our case it'll be our Escape, but if we didn't have that it would likely be a rental.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
And similarly, many will use the Mach-e as a home base car, and take an ICE on road trips because of the slow refueling drawbacks.

In our case it'll be our Escape, but if we didn't have that it would likely be a rental.
I am hoping to take our Mach E on a 500 mile road trip over New Years. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. Now if I come back and am still in marital bliss may be another question that will need to be answered, and another challenge . . .

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am hoping to take our Mach E on a 500 mile road trip over New Years. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. Now if I come back and am still in marital bliss may be another question that will need to be answered, and another challenge . . .
We'll do our 785 mile Denver-Vegas trip once in it too, "for the challenge", as you said. No bliss expected though. ;)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
We'll do our 785 mile Denver-Vegas trip once in it too, "for the challenge", as you said. No bliss expected though. ;)
I like road trips. My wife hates them and would rather fly - most of the time she sleeps. That may be because I typically cannonball them with few and quick stops. I will get to find out if that is the issue with the Mach E, as the stops will not be so quick.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just for the fun of it I did plan 2 real long road trips, one to Orlando Fl US, 3 days, and one to Banff Al CAN, 5 days, 800 km/day average driving (500 mi) and it is very feasable and this includes night rest, heating and other stops and yes you have to plan your stops but no problem.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I like road trips. My wife hates them and would rather fly - most of the time she sleeps. That may be because I typically cannonball them with few and quick stops. I will get to find out if that is the issue with the Mach E, as the stops will not be so quick.
Also true here (Son doesn't like road trips either).

That changed a bit when we moved from a pull behind to a motorhome (oh wait we're talking EV's here?? Naah! LOL). With the motorhome she can get up, get a drink, even use the restroom if she's brave (or in dire need LOL) while we're driving. Now she doesn't mind the road trips so much--even enjoys them.

Back to the topic at hand: Next spring we may have a family trip to Northern Michigan (200+ ish miles, I'm still planning it). We'll bring the RV but if we have the Mach-E and since it cannot be towed I'll ask her if she'd be willing to drive it up while I drive the RV (or vice versa--I'm guessing she'll pick the Mach-E LOL).
(We will probably still have the Bolt at that point so if she doesn't want to drive the Mach-E we could always tow the Bolt...)

Decisions decisions ;)
Sponsored