EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I was trying to calculate the average charging speed needed to stay cheaper than gas on your Denver to Vegas trip.
Hopefully electrify america will roll out its per kWh pricing soon; this will become a simpler task.

The car must recognize the adapter, and then communicate to the station using chademo protocol to limit the power.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hopefully electrify america will roll out its per kWh pricing soon; this will become a simpler task.
Agreed, it'll be simpler to calculate. Although I doubt it's really gonna be too much cheaper. They set those rates where they did because they thought that's what the market would bear, and I suspect they'll use a pretty close equivalent in the states they switch to per-kWh.

Using the Mach-e as an example, Ford says a 10-80% charge of the ER takes 45 minutes. 70% of 88 kWh = 61.6 kWh. 45 minutes at $0.99 (the most common full rate for 125kW+) = $44.55. $44.55 / 61.6 = $0.72/kWh. Then subtract 20% for the subscription discount.

That's probably high, as most people probably don't charge at EA all the way to 80%. 65% is probably a better average. Without a charge curve yet, we can't actually calculate what the equivalent price would be, but I'll guess something like $0.59/kWh.

Then again, when Ionity switched to per-kWh pricing, they went to €0.79/kWh ($0.92).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
ABRP doesn't care about how much it costs you. It had me charging to 85%, ahh no thanks. In reality, you will stop charging at 50-60% (before it gets expensive). I just used the My Chevy app for the Bolt to map out the Denver to Vegas trip. The total time was 14 hours and it only charges at 55kW. Seriously, that app is not accurate. You can calculate it manually or wait until the EPA numbers and charge rates are known and they update the app.
Try Plugshare, it's free. I used to use it all the time before the Chevy app was updated. Now it's great.
ABRP allows you to override the default settings for mi/kwh, speed (x% over limit), max% to charge charge up to, minimum arrival SOC% at chargers and at the final destination. You can further override the values at a given stop to suit the situation better - such as planning a longer charge at mealtimes.

To get to those settings you have to enable "detailed" at the top of the settings view:
Ford Mustang Mach-E The truth about Electrify America's progress and Traveling with the Mach E Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 1.38.43 PM

and then you can click the individual tuning dropdowns such as "battery and chargers":
Ford Mustang Mach-E The truth about Electrify America's progress and Traveling with the Mach E Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 1.41.16 PM

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And from what I understand, CCS<==>CHAdeMO adapters don't exist. Making this whole conversation pointless in regards to the Mach-e (or any CCS BEV).

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Agreed, it'll be simpler to calculate. Although I doubt it's really gonna be too much cheaper. They set those rates where they did because they thought that's what the market would bear, and I suspect they'll use a pretty close equivalent in the states they switch to per-kWh.
Agreed, I don't expect it to get cheaper. Could be surprised.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Electrify America and Love's Travel Stop have announced an expansion of their partnership.

https://insideevs.com/news/439519/electrify-america-loves-travel-stops-partnership/

Has anybody ever stopped at a Love's Travel Stop?
-------
Current EA progress for August

Date mm/dd, yy - live; in progress
August 1, 2020 - 452; 104
August 5, 2020 - 453; 103
August 10, 2020 - 454; 102
August 13, 2020 - 457; 99
August 14, 2020 - 458; 98

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Electrify America and Love's Travel Stop have announced an expansion of their partnership.

https://insideevs.com/news/439519/electrify-america-loves-travel-stops-partnership/

Has anybody ever stopped at a Love's Travel Stop?
-------
Current EA progress for August

Date mm/dd, yy - live; in progress
August 1, 2020 - 452; 104
August 5, 2020 - 453; 103
August 10, 2020 - 454; 102
August 13, 2020 - 457; 99
August 14, 2020 - 458; 98
There are several of them in Ohio on I71 between Cleveland and Columbus and I have never stopped at one. But . . . I may in the future. There are also some "Flying J's".

Other than on toll roads where the highway has food, etc. at rest stops, does EA ever think about putting charging at regular just rest stops? Or does the economy of that now work out since you typically only have vending machines and no real food at those?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There are several of them in Ohio on I71 between Cleveland and Columbus and I have never stopped at one. But . . . I may in the future. There are also some "Flying J's".

Other than on toll roads where the highway has food, etc. at rest stops, does EA ever think about putting charging at regular just rest stops? Or does the economy of that now work out since you typically only have vending machines and no real food at those?
Flying J is our regular gas stop in Richfield UT (has both car pumps and the huge truck pumps next door). They and Loves would be good choices for EA, as they tend to have some sort of fast food restaurant inside. There's an Arby's in one and a McDonalds in the other along my route.

Rest stops wouldn't be as advantageous for chargers as restaurants or stores, IMO. Having something to do to kill 30-40 minutes is more helpful. I'd rather have a restaurant at a charger than just a park and bathroom with no other facilities.

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
This is all changing my perceptions of truck stops and blowing my mind. For whatever reason, I have shied away from truck stops thinking that long-haul truckers and family car trippers don't really mix and that regular cars don't belong at a truck stop.

I guess my expectations have always been low because when I visit random off-ramp gas stations that may or may not be very clean, have working restrooms, or be particularly inviting, I'm pretty sure I'll never be back and they know it too.

Little did I know that truck stop chains compete for repeat business by offering very clean bathrooms, big private showers, safe & well lit plazas with plenty of amenities like restaurants and good sized convenience stores.

Apparently I've been road tripping all wrong my entire adult life. smh
Sponsored