Deleted member 367

If Ford wants to compete successfully with Tesla it should consider arranging special prices with EA for the e-Mustang - like for example $.25 a kWh for 1 year - like Tesla does for all it's new buyers. My Model 3 came with 9 months free charging (a huge buying incentive) followed by $.28 a kWh indefinitely. Ford better bite the bullet and include price incentives, including reducing the MSRP to below Tesla 3 or Y, or potential buyers will say to themselves as I am doing "What's the attraction here?".

If Ford focuses strictly on how much money it can extract from e-Mustang buyers instead of seriously considering the customer's wants and needs, they could end up producing an excellent e-car that meets with dwindling attraction. And EA could be wondering why they put all this money into establishing a (high price) charging network only to see poor usage. There is a caution here: Tesla is a strong competitor in this market space! Don't assume you can sell lots of e-Mustangs just with cleaver PR.
Sponsored

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
@silverelan I understand a agree with that point, however, I'd say isn't quite true as we saw from that video of the over crowded Tesla Supercharger location.
And besides, even if they built ten thousand 'locations' but only have 1 or 2 stalls per location, as the number of EVs grow, the network won't keep up with the increasing numbers of EVs on the road.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
@silverelan I understand a agree with that point, however, I'd say isn't quite true as we saw from that video of the over crowded Tesla Supercharger location.
And besides, even if they built ten thousand 'locations' but only have 1 or 2 stalls per location, as the number of EVs grow, the network won't keep up with the increasing numbers of EVs on the road.
The other problem is vandalism and downtime. My friend stopsnat a super charger every day. 50% of the stalls are broken and have been for a few months. Hopefully EA is faster at repairs.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
@silverelan
To reiterate my point, the number of stalls at EA stations isn't a big deal. They just need enough to ensure redundancy and availability. Four chargers seems appropriate.

If you check out any road trips on YouTube using the EA network, you'll see that there's rarely another driver there. Kelley Blue Book did a terrible Cannonball Run in an E-tron and mentioned they never saw another EV charging the entire trip.

Deleted member 367

The other problem is vandalism and downtime. My friend stopsnat a super charger every day. 50% of the stalls are broken and have been for a few months. Hopefully EA is faster at repairs.

Deleted member 367

The point about vandalism and broken chargers is valid. The city of La Quinta has several locations of free Tesla chargers, and each of them has at least one broken charger - and has had for months. Likewise, Tesla superchargers at Cabazon, CA had 4 of the 24 available not working when I was last there. Tesla brags that they keep close watch on their chargers and fix them right away if not working. Politely said: not so!

The 2nd issue that about 4 chargers per location is about right. No way ! have been where ther are 24 Tesla Superchargers and every one was busy. With only 4 chargers, there would be riots.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The thing about broken and vandalized chargers is that you as a user needs to report them when they are seen. EA (and Tesla even) can't be at the charger 24/7 and thus may not be aware of a broken connector (even if the stations monitor the connectors--some breaks cannot be automatically detected).

In addition to that: Squeeky wheel gets the grease: If everyone who wanted to use a specific stall reported it as broken how fast do you think it will get fixed?? (especially if it is a busy station).

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
And others, I understand what is being said and reiterated by @silverelan and I agree, to a point that right now, 4 stalls per location is fine.

But I somewhere then we're having a disconnect, because if Tesla is slightly behind EA in Locations but has on average 7 stalls (more total stalls) and and EA on average has 4 (less total stalls). We all saw the video of the back-up at the one Supercharger Location where there weren't enough stalls. If Tesla has that issue NOW, with an average of 7 stalls, and a lot of Teslas on the road, I'm just trying to articulate that ALL EVs at the moment can use EA Locations and the number of EVS that can use EA Locations will only grow.

It's a small point to quibble over, I just believe Tesla is known for having enough stalls in *most* locations (except under out-of-the-norm situations like holidays etc.) so most of the time it's not a problem, but EA will always have less stalls, even if it outpaces Telsa in total stalls. And since EA *can* welcome all EVs, I'd think EA would want to outpace Tesla in BOTH Locations AND Stalls.
I know they are working on it, but the gap between EA and Tesla stalls is getting wider, at least with the numbers we've seen lately.

And just an aside note, I'd almost think it's imperative to have MORE stalls at each EV Location than even 4 or 7... I mean at the one gas station we use on weekends, there is a rush due to them dropping the price 10 cents on Fridays and to have over half the stalls with one filling and one waiting, is not a strange occurrence. There are 16 stalls at this gas station. But those folks waiting, wait for 5 minutes or less (or more if Pap runs in to pay before he pumps). In an EV, being the car on deck, could mean you wait 5 minutes for the person to 'top up' or you wait 30 minutes for them to 'top up', again, in the event that all the stalls are filled but with charging times, it seems more stalls would be the goal or should be the goal at each Location... especially in more urban and/or used Locations. I think that made sense.
Someone out there has to be able to type better what I'm trying to say.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Here in North Georgia/Atlanta area we have quite a few EVGO charging stations as well as Georgia Power charging stations. With the growing number of EA the infrastructure is slowly building out. I also read that a local gas station (one of the chain ones with about 18 pumps) is going to convert to all DC Fast Chargers. They will have a Starbucks and food store inside. I think that will be a huge success as a business model.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I would favor more station locations before more stalls per location. Too many EV dead spots such as the UP of Michigan has zero fast charging location and that includes Tesla chargers. AS stated elsewhere, use of the BEV in your home range area with at home charging should be easy and cheap. Longer distance traveling (via CCS charging) might bring on a number of compromises that one might be better served using using hybrid/[;ug-in hybrid vehicles.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
And others, I understand what is being said and reiterated by @silverelan and I agree, to a point that right now, 4 stalls per location is fine.

But I somewhere then we're having a disconnect, because if Tesla is slightly behind EA in Locations but has on average 7 stalls (more total stalls) and and EA on average has 4 (less total stalls). We all saw the video of the back-up at the one Supercharger Location where there weren't enough stalls. If Tesla has that issue NOW, with an average of 7 stalls, and a lot of Teslas on the road, I'm just trying to articulate that ALL EVs at the moment can use EA Locations and the number of EVS that can use EA Locations will only grow.

It's a small point to quibble over, I just believe Tesla is known for having enough stalls in *most* locations (except under out-of-the-norm situations like holidays etc.) so most of the time it's not a problem, but EA will always have less stalls, even if it outpaces Telsa in total stalls. And since EA *can* welcome all EVs, I'd think EA would want to outpace Tesla in BOTH Locations AND Stalls.
I know they are working on it, but the gap between EA and Tesla stalls is getting wider, at least with the numbers we've seen lately.

And just an aside note, I'd almost think it's imperative to have MORE stalls at each EV Location than even 4 or 7... I mean at the one gas station we use on weekends, there is a rush due to them dropping the price 10 cents on Fridays and to have over half the stalls with one filling and one waiting, is not a strange occurrence. There are 16 stalls at this gas station. But those folks waiting, wait for 5 minutes or less (or more if Pap runs in to pay before he pumps). In an EV, being the car on deck, could mean you wait 5 minutes for the person to 'top up' or you wait 30 minutes for them to 'top up', again, in the event that all the stalls are filled but with charging times, it seems more stalls would be the goal or should be the goal at each Location... especially in more urban and/or used Locations. I think that made sense.
Someone out there has to be able to type better what I'm trying to say.
Long distance travel should not feature a Friday night discount at Uncle Joe's location. When traveling you are concerned about where the charger is located and if it is open. Information can be provided on if a stall is open but(?) unknown how long before an occupied one become open.

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
This guy has a good channel (I'm a subscriber) but he's wrong on EA's improvement. Read the comments to this video to see what I mean.

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Comments seemed pretty positive.
The comments about the video (good video, thanks for doing this, etc) are positive, but the comments from the people who actually used (or tired to use) EA are mostly negative. Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for EA. I hope they get their chargers fixed before the Mach-E and other new EV's start selling. Otherwise EV's will get a bad reputation that will be hard to overcome.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2