Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Convertible, 2016 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You said fracking is in decline. I gave you the reason. If gas and oil prices increased do you not think that fracking would increase?
I neither asked you to explain it to me nor did I not already know that. Being pedantic to avoid the valid point I made is merely a deflection. You are merely arguing for the sake of arguing, and I have better things to do with my life.

goodbye

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Clearly renewables require a solution to load leveling and peak demand that hasn't been worked out yet,

^ key phrase

What this means is that you cannot simply compare the "cost" of renewables to fossil fueled energy. The reason is because fossil fueled energy is nearly 100% reliable, whereas renewable energy is dramatically less reliable.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Why do you think China is building so many solar installs, wind installs, high speed electric train installs...leads the world in all categories.

China has more high speed (as in mag lev trains on many routes) than rest of the word combined.

US looks like 3rd world.

To lower emissions.

Next question.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Please provide the details of the search. Thank you.

I tried several searches. I couldn't find an article that gave a very good description of the cause of the energy issues.

Since you know where these articles are, just give me one of them.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Please provide the details of the search. Thank you.
This is what I found.

"Though some analyses have blamed California’s use of unreliable wind and solar power for the grid shortage, Randolph insisted that clean energy is not the problem. Regulators have long been aware that they cannot fully rely on wind and solar power to meet peak demand in the evening hours, he said."

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
I neither asked you to explain it to me nor did I not already know that. Being pedantic to avoid the valid point I made is merely a deflection. You are merely arguing for the sake of arguing, and I have better things to do with my life.

goodbye
Wow.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
To lower emissions.
Half right, to increase electrical output.

"China’s plan to cut coal and boost green growth Innovations in energy-storage technology are a mainstay of the nation’s bid to reduce its reliance on fossil fuels."

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Half right, to increase electrical output.

"China’s plan to cut coal and boost green growth Innovations in energy-storage technology are a mainstay of the nation’s bid to reduce its reliance on fossil fuels."
If coal is objectively more expensive than renewables, then why are they building coal? Building of renewables can be explained by the desire to lower emissions. Can you give me an explanation for building coal plants instead of exclusively renewables?

zhackwyatt

Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max
Country flag
And here lies another thread. Reincarnated as something completely different from the original topic.

EVer

Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model3P
Country flag
If coal is objectively more expensive than renewables, then why are they building coal? Building of renewables can be explained by the desire to lower emissions. Can you give me an explanation for building coal plants instead of exclusively renewables?
My guess is coal was selected due to combination of initial cost and overall reliability.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
2016 Escape, 2019 Fusion Energi
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
And here lies another thread. Reincarnated as something completely different from the original topic.
I don’t think it died. Kind of more like the walking dead than reincarnation.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
If coal is objectively more expensive than renewables, then why are they building coal?"
Coal is cheaper for China but....

"In addition to roughly 1,000 gigawatts of existing coal capacity, China has 121 gigawatts of coal plants under construction, which is more than is being built in the rest of the world combined. But here’s the weird thing—more than half the time, China’s coal plants are just sitting around collecting dust. If China already has more coal power than it needs, why does it keep building new plants?"

"Local governments were under enormous political pressure to increase the economic productivity in their region and saw new coal plants as a great shortcut. China’s energy policies from the '80s and '90s basically guaranteed new coal plants would turn a profit, so local officials were incentivized to approve as many new coal plants in their region as possible—and that’s exactly what they did. The following year, the capacity of newly approved coal plants in China tripled."

"It didn’t take the federal government long to realize its mistake. In 2016, it rolled back the rules that threw coal plant construction into overdrive and delayed or canceled dozens of approved plants. But as Shearer and her colleagues at Global Energy Monitor found by analyzing permits and satellite images, many plants are still under active construction today.

Even if all those power plants end up on China’s grid, Branstetter says there’s a good chance they won’t be used to their full potential."

https://www.wired.com/story/china-is-still-building-an-insane-number-of-new-coal-plants/[/QUOTE]

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Coal is cheaper for China but....

"In addition to roughly 1,000 gigawatts of existing coal capacity, China has 121 gigawatts of coal plants under construction, which is more than is being built in the rest of the world combined. But here’s the weird thing—more than half the time, China’s coal plants are just sitting around collecting dust. If China already has more coal power than it needs, why does it keep building new plants?"

"Local governments were under enormous political pressure to increase the economic productivity in their region and saw new coal plants as a great shortcut. China’s energy policies from the '80s and '90s basically guaranteed new coal plants would turn a profit, so local officials were incentivized to approve as many new coal plants in their region as possible—and that’s exactly what they did. The following year, the capacity of newly approved coal plants in China tripled."

"It didn’t take the federal government long to realize its mistake. In 2016, it rolled back the rules that threw coal plant construction into overdrive and delayed or canceled dozens of approved plants. But as Shearer and her colleagues at Global Energy Monitor found by analyzing permits and satellite images, many plants are still under active construction today.

Even if all those power plants end up on China’s grid, Branstetter says there’s a good chance they won’t be used to their full potential."

https://www.wired.com/story/china-is-still-building-an-insane-number-of-new-coal-plants/
[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why all of the local leaders approved tons of coal-powered generation, rather than tons of solar or wind-powered generation. Don't they both accomplish the same purposes? Yet the renewable powered generation also achieves lower emissions along with public/international image.

Advertisement