First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Read the article.
The article really doesn't make it clear. it alludes to 'policies' and that the federal government allowed local governments to fast-track coal facilities.

But it doesn't cite anything that specifically benefits coal over renewables.

++++++ My apologies in advance if you think I'm trying to be clever or difficult. I'm not. I just don't understand. +++++

Billyk24

First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Coal is cheaper for China but....

"In addition to roughly 1,000 gigawatts of existing coal capacity, China has 121 gigawatts of coal plants under construction, which is more than is being built in the rest of the world combined. But here’s the weird thing—more than half the time, China’s coal plants are just sitting around collecting dust. If China already has more coal power than it needs, why does it keep building new plants?"

"Local governments were under enormous political pressure to increase the economic productivity in their region and saw new coal plants as a great shortcut. China’s energy policies from the '80s and '90s basically guaranteed new coal plants would turn a profit, so local officials were incentivized to approve as many new coal plants in their region as possible—and that’s exactly what they did. The following year, the capacity of newly approved coal plants in China tripled."

"It didn’t take the federal government long to realize its mistake. In 2016, it rolled back the rules that threw coal plant construction into overdrive and delayed or canceled dozens of approved plants. But as Shearer and her colleagues at Global Energy Monitor found by analyzing permits and satellite images, many plants are still under active construction today.

Even if all those power plants end up on China’s grid, Branstetter says there’s a good chance they won’t be used to their full potential."

https://www.wired.com/story/china-is-still-building-an-insane-number-of-new-coal-plants/
[/QUOTE]
Except China coal usage is going up for four years in a row. https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/china-reverts-to-its-dirty-coal-ways/

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
Except China coal usage is going up for four years in a row. https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/china-reverts-to-its-dirty-coal-ways/
"China plans to add coal storage facilities across its power plants in 2020 to ensure stockpiles at or above 15 days’ normal supply for coal-driven power plants."

1% rise in a crazy year with 20% rise in clean fuels. Plus the build up that Asia Times mentions for coal plants is explained above and has been corrected.

China's trends on sustainable power and EV's are good. Better than US.

And always keep in mind that per capita GHG for China are 5,000 tons vs. US 17,000 tons. When US gets to 5,000 tons, it can criticize, until then its a bit hypocritical for nation that has done the most to create the climate change crisis over time and still leads in per capita GHG to be pointing fingers vs. taking care of business.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
"China plans to add coal storage facilities across its power plants in 2020 to ensure stockpiles at or above 15 days’ normal supply for coal-driven power plants."

1% rise in a crazy year with 20% rise in clean fuels. Plus the build up that Asia Times mentions for coal plants is explained above and has been corrected.

China's trends on sustainable power and EV's are good. Better than US.

And always keep in mind that per capita GHG for China are 5,000 tons vs. US 17,000 tons. When US gets to 5,000 tons, it can criticize, until then its a bit hypocritical for nation that has done the most to create the climate change crisis over time and still leads in per capita GHG to be pointing fingers vs. taking care of business.
And yet their coal consumption is increasing as Billy said.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
Here is a link to Electrify America's site . . . you know, if you want to learn or talk about Electrify America . . .https://www.electrifyamerica.com
No "coming soon" for the NW OR and SW WA chargers. I can make it work with the Longview charger but being 50 miles away, I have to be careful as only one charger in Astoria and it's L2.

Chargers along 101 and 26 are in the Phase II of the plan.

Last edited:

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
No "coming soon" for the NW OR and SW WA chargers. I can make it work with the Longview charger but being 50 miles away, I have to careful as only one charger in Astoria and it's L2.

Chargers along 101 and 26 are in the Phase II of the plan.
Maybe you could convince Astoria Ford to install a 50 KW?

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
I really wish that GM and FCA were coming out with higher volume BEVs at roughly the same time as the Mach E. That would dramatically ramp up charger installation growth if all three (formerly) domestic owned producers were coming out with simultaneous offerings. Utilities and gas stations wouldn't be able to ignore that message.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I really wish that GM and FCA were coming out with higher volume BEVs at roughly the same time as the Mach E. That would dramatically ramp up charger installation growth if all three (formerly) domestic owned producers were coming out with simultaneous offerings. Utilities and gas stations wouldn't be able to ignore that message.
I've actually been surprised at how many new stations EA is rolling out now. There's a bunch of them that have been added to the map in the last month. I love that they're filling in I-40 in the west. But kinda disappointed they're putting a wasteful 11 more stations around metro Denver (to the 6 we already have). I want EA to utilize their resources on between-city routes, not waste it on in-city charging where most people just charge at home, hotels, etc.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
I want EA to utilize their resources on between-city routes, not waste it on in-city charging where most people just charge at home, hotels, etc.
I think you'll find a fair amount of people will be depending on the public chargers. Huge jump in Tesla charger usage in metro areas as Model 3 started selling. A lot of lines at peak charging times.

If you look at the EA plan, they explain the deployment plan and there is a link to send them feedback.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan/

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think you'll find a fair amount of people will be depending on the public chargers. Huge jump in Tesla charger usage in metro areas as Model 3 started selling. A lot of lines at peak charging times.

If you look at the EA plan, they explain the deployment plan and there is a link to send them feedback.

Yeah, I read that before. I'm not particularly surprised they're doing it, I just wish they'd use their resources to enable more distance driving since hardly anyone else is (a few others are doing a little but not much).

I think the meat of the market for BEVs will be people that have home charging capability (L2). Trying to convince locals they should charge DCFC full-time (even though you've said many times you do it) isn't gonna fly with most IMO. Charging for locals should be focused on getting more home charging installed (like L2 at apartment and condo complexes).

But, they didn't ask me. 😋

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag

I'd leave the cities to charge point, etc. EA has a finite amount of money. Cities will take care of themselves.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Yeah, I read that before. I'm not particularly surprised they're doing it, I just wish they'd use their resources to enable more distance driving since hardly anyone else is (a few others are doing a little but not much).

I think the meat of the market for BEVs will be people that have home charging capability (L2). Trying to convince locals they should charge DCFC full-time (even though you've said many times you do it) isn't gonna fly with most IMO. Charging for locals should be focused on getting more home charging installed (like L2 at apartment and condo complexes).

But, they didn't ask me. 😋
I'm also cool with L2 or 25kw chargers at places like malls and grocery stores. People go there for one hour in the case of grocery stores, or two or three hours in the case of malls. For many people that's like three or four days worth of driving.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
Trying to convince locals they should charge DCFC full-time (even though you've said many times you do it) isn't gonna fly with most IMO.
More those who need to do it out of necessity if they want to go EV now. Homeownership in US is dropping and many new apartments don't even have parking much less chargers.

Advertisement