TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's an EA problem, not Ford. Just like people get mad at the gas stations (rather than Ford) when they perceive they're paying more for fuel than they feel like they should be, they'll get mad at EA rather than Ford. And appropriately so. EA uses a goofy pricing model.

I don't think Ford needs to be overly concerned with EA's pricing. The vast majority of Mach-e buyers will do the vast majority of their charging at home. I think that'll be even more true for Ford than it is for Tesla. Tesla has an inordinate share of the fanboy/BEV enthusiast market (as the earliest adopters). Those include a bigger share of owners that are willing to make bigger compromises to use their BEV no matter what, including usages that require a lot of retail L3 charging. I consider that more the niche wave of BEV adoption.

Now manufacturers like Ford are getting in on the 2nd wave, as it expands into more mainstream buyers/drivers (thanks to better batteries). And they won't be as similarly "green" motivated to make those kind of sacrifices. They'll be focusing more on practicality and convenience. That means buying BEVs mostly in situations where they DON'T need to mess with lengthy retail L3 charging very much (or at all). That means mostly buyers that can charge or home.

As such, I don't think Ford should be wasting a bunch of money or effort to do a lot toward subsidizing retail charging. Their main focus will be home-charging buyers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mark360

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
I don't think EA shares power between stalls?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As such, I don't think Ford should be wasting a bunch of money or effort to do a lot toward subsidizing retail charging. Their main focus will be home-charging buyers.
Agree wholeheartedly. That's the position their literature takes, as well as interviews I've seen with execs where charging is mentioned. Despite the constant protestations by a few here, the reality is that DCFC will be expensive for the Mach E and relying on it as a primary charging solution is a very good reason not to get the Mach E.

KT-PNW

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07’ Mustang, 65’ Mustang, YZF R3
Country flag
This may be a little off topic, but I downloaded the EA app to check out how far away some of the stations were for places I usually drive to. I gotta say, their distance calculator is woefully inaccurate. Do they use straight line distance between points? According to EA, I’m 120 miles from my destination. That same trip is 170 miles on Google.

Any ideas what’s going on? Sounds like I’d be stranded with a dead battery if I relied on EA’s maps for any charging calculations on a longer road trip

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
This may be a little off topic, but I downloaded the EA app to check out how far away some of the stations were for places I usually drive to. I gotta say, their distance calculator is woefully inaccurate. Do they use straight line distance between points? According to EA, I’m 120 miles from my destination. That same trip is 170 miles on Google.

Any ideas what’s going on? Sounds like I’d be stranded with a dead battery if I relied on EA’s maps for any charging calculations on a longer road trip
I don't use EA maps. A Better Route Planner is a much better tool. It allows much more customization of settings to get a more accurate guess on range.

https://new.abetterrouteplanner.com/

And/Or PlugShare

https://www.plugshare.com/

Last edited:

KT-PNW

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ll definitely use one of the other route planners. It was just surprising to see such a large difference.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
March station count for EA network
Date mm/dd, yy - live; in progress

March 1, 2020 - 409; 66
March 5, 2020 - 410; 71
March 11, 2020 - 411; 76
March 16, 2020 - 411; 108
March 22, 2020 - 412; 106
March 25, 2020 - 414; 104
March 31, 2020 - 416; 101

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just noticed that EA shows a future charger station along I-70 in Green River, UT. That was the missing link for any drive between Denver and Las Vegas.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Just noticed that EA shows a future charger station along I-70 in Green River, UT. That was the missing link for any drive between Denver and Las Vegas.
Next big missing links out west are between Phoenix-LA on I-10 and SLC-Elko on I-80.

@LYTMCQ, how stoked were you to see Bend finally show up on the planned station map?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Green Bay Wisconsin lacks a L3 CCS fast charging station despite a large population, millions of travelers and being about 130 north of Milwaukee's fast EA station. More L3 charging locations are badly needed.

KT-PNW

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@LYTMCQ, how stoked were you to see Bend finally show up on the planned station map?
The Bend station will be nice to have to top off on the way out, but I know I’ll be using the CCS station by the breweries downtown.
Sponsored