TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's quite different than what Ford consistently keeps stating, even in their most recent releases. They say 70% (10-80%) in 45 minutes (ER battery).

"With available 150 kW chargers in the FordPass™ Charging Network, the Mustang-inspired all-electric SUV can charge an estimated average of 61 miles of range in approximately ten minutes, and from 10-80% in 45 minutes."

https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/mach-e-overlays/public-charging/
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Where did you see 96 kW?

70% of 88 kWh usable battery is 61.6. 61.6 / 45 min x 60 minutes = 82 kW average charge rate (for the 10-80% window they said takes 45 minutes).

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag
I do not want to be pessimistic, but EV for a long trip is not a good choice IMHO. Especially for non-Tesla EV, without supercharger network. Not that it is very expensive to charge, waiting time is unacceptably long. EA said they will move to per kwh billing. The problem they said it almost a year ago. And there is no sign of change.

I am ok with EV within 200 miles round trip. I would take my ICE car for a long, comfortable trip beyond that.

45 minutes to charge to 80% (or 30 minutes for Tesla) - still a long time that is out of your control.
800V battery may be a solution for that - Porshe can charge to 80% in just under 15 minutes (DC 350 KWh). This is something that most people will accept.

Obviously, it is just me. Many people will say they are ok to drive EV any place.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
8-10 times a day to pee? What kind of medical condition do they have? I run marathons and drink water like it's going out of style, and I'm not peeing 8-10 times a day. Those people should see a doctor ASAP.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I run marathons
Now your name makes sense. I run Ultras and I pee like every hour while running. LOL
Sorry guys but I pretty much never charge to 80% when on a trip, unless I’m staying the night or eating dinner and have a free/cheap L2. 60% and up is a waste of time. Below 60% you’ll still be getting above 80kW charging speed.
If you are in a rush maybe you should fly and rent a car when to get there. That might be cheaper than owning a secondice car just for trips.
I’m selling my trash/lumber/furniture hauling van when the MME arrives because it’s way cheaper to rent a truck by the hour from the hardware store than insurance and maintenance on a vehicle I don’t drive. it’s my last ice car.

I really hate that car companies quote the 80% charge times because then new/potential Ev owners quote the number and calculate travel times with it. I like the how many miles in ten minute or how long for 100 miles. Anyway, you choose the way you want to travel in an EV that is best for you.

Arthur, sent from phone.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
8-10 times a day to pee? What kind of medical condition do they have? I run marathons and drink water like it's going out of style, and I'm not peeing 8-10 times a day. Those people should see a doctor ASAP.
I think the demographic for a MME skews older than you think. I used to gloat about my vision. Not anymore.

Most people pee 6 or 7 times every 24 hours. Peeing between 4 and 10 times daily may be considered healthy if the frequency does not interfere with the person’s quality of life.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry guys but I pretty much never charge to 80% when on a trip, unless I’m staying the night or eating dinner and have a free/cheap L2. 60% and up is a waste of time.
Pick your poison. Is it easier to sell a 45 minute 10-80% charge time, or having to refuel 7 times for a drive that only takes 2 in an ICE?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Most people pee 6 or 7 times every 24 hours.
At least 3 of those are before and after the drive though. Morning when you get out of bed, night when going to bed, and evening upon arrival at your destination.

And for us old fogeys, once more in the middle of the night.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you are in a rush maybe you should fly and rent a car when to get there. That might be cheaper than owning a secondice car just for trips.
I’m selling my trash/lumber/furniture hauling van when the MME arrives because it’s way cheaper to rent a truck by the hour from the hardware store than insurance and maintenance on a vehicle I don’t drive. it’s my last ice car.
Or rent an ICE car for the road trip.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
8 to 10 times a day can considered normal as one ages regardless of their exercise history.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
<----- Former long course triathlon athlete (till a knee went on strike a couple of years ago). I didn't pee 8 times a day while doing the Ironman World Championship. But put a cup of coffee (or 5) in me, or make me drive my pickup 50 minutes to Kona ....

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hopefully all of the locations where EA is located at have restrooms because I'm always ready to take a bladder break after a couple hours.
Obviously @DaveRuns is younger than many of us. Between my water pill for high blood pressure and a clearly enlarging prostate 2.5 hours is about my max before looking for a bathroom, unless I don't drink anything beforehand - which gets me to maybe 3.5 hrs.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
<----- Former long course triathlon athlete (till a knee went on strike a couple of years ago). I didn't pee 8 times a day while doing the Ironman World Championship. But put a cup of coffee (or 5) in me, or make me drive my pickup 50 minutes to Kona ....
Hahah, I know what you mean. I will do a 50 or 60 mile bike ride drinking multiple bottles of water and be fine but put me into a car with a cup of coffee and I have to stop after a couple hours.
Sponsored