Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Exactly, though that particular style would never fly in Truckee near Donner Summit where snow can get ... deep. ;)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Somehow, I seem to have missed where you recognized the FordPass network. Is it ideal? No. It will improve over time. As was stated earlier, right now BEV’s are a relatively small percentage of sales.
You know what’s an even smaller percentage? The amount of times those BEV’s are charging at a DCFC vs charging at home.
Ford is a vehicle company. Not an energy company, and not a software company.
If that new F150 you analogized could be easily filled up with that new type of gas at home for 95% of use cases, should Ford still invest billions to create an infrastructure for that tiny percentage of vehicles and that small percent of use case?
I’m confident that as adoption occurs, the infrastructure will be built out. Those of us here are early adopters and cannot and should not expect a mature infrastructure for a new use case.
You want that? Stick with your Tesla. For now. We will catch up.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Why do you bother staying on this forum? I get it: you love Tesla; you don't like the Mach-E. It is clear why you have/will make your choice to stay with Tesla. Many of us consider the same set of information that you look at and will choose the Mach-E (or some other EV). As I said to you long ago, it is great that you can prefer door #1 while I prefer door #2 and someone else prefers door #3. It is nice that there are now multiple doors from which to choose. You don't seem to be able to let go of the fact that some other people have different preferences and opinions than you do.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Many of us consider the same set of information that you look at and will choose the Mach-E (or some other EV). .... You don't seem to be able to let go of the fact that some other people have different preferences and opinions than you do.
Well said. I'm happy that we have options, and that the number of choices in the market seems to be going up, not down. I have mixed feelings about the glass roof. If it were a big deal to me, though, I'd opt for a Select or GT or some other brand of car altogether.

Especially in 2020, I'm looking for a little less of this in my life ...

Ford Mustang Mach-E The truth about Electrify America's progress and Traveling with the Mach E hqdefault

... and hoping to experience a little more of this ...

Ford Mustang Mach-E The truth about Electrify America's progress and Traveling with the Mach E chris-farley-matt-foley-snl

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Exactly, though that particular style would never fly in Truckee near Donner Summit where snow can get ... deep. ;)
Probably work nicely in Hawaii though. ?

Of course, the nicer they are, the more they cost to build. And the more they have to charge to recover those costs.

It also looks like there's nothing around it. I'd rather have a charger in a restaurant parking not than out in the middle of nothing to do to utilize the car-babysitting time.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I've waited for "what I want" for too many years. Most choices involve some give and take. I'm willing to go electric now, at the expense of needing to rent a car for certain trips.

There are some choices I won't make, because the cost of "settling" is far too high (to me). Here's a recent example:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...d-to-destroy-tesla-whistleblower-martin-tripp

Tripp says he has been having suicidal ideations as a result of the cruelty inflicted by his former employer.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Probably work nicely in Hawaii though. ?

Of course, the nicer they are, the more they cost to build. And the more they have to charge to recover those costs.

It also looks like there's nothing around it. I'd rather have a charger in a restaurant parking not than out in the middle of nothing to do to utilize the car-babysitting time.
True that is.

It's not quite on-topic but this particular station is in Truckee. Truckee is generally a "get me enough gas to get to Reno or the North Shore of Tahoe" stop. It's more conducive to high powered DCFC than finding something to do. Reno's a bit over an hour away and your likely destination where there'll be a hotel with L2 charging. For those heading further east for a full day on I-80, yeah you might want something to do there. Then again, I haven't driven that freeway in 15 years. I'll leave it to the "experts" to figure out where and how a DCFC station should be put together.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I was simply responding to your statement about folks being ok with settling.

I want my Mach-E, and I want 150 kW chargers blanketing the nation. I can want both, I don't see why some folks on here think it's OK to settle.
I'm settling by buying a Mach-E while there is still an insufficient charge network for road trips.

Whether I buy a SR or ER battery makes little difference FOR ME, given the current charge network, on my likelihood of making most of those trips with a Mach-E.

When considering all of my options, the Nissan Leaf, even a used one, is not the right car FOR ME.

Folks here have already been submitting requests to EA (and maybe other networks?) for additional locations. You can do the same. Keep pushing on them, not us. We're each committing to the level of involvement that we've independently chosen. Choosing to buy an EV is one option. Lobbying to the charging networks, spending your money at their existing locations, and volunteering your home as a location on PlugShare, are other examples of being involved.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Not realistic for all parts of the country. What is the energy input from the solar panels for 2-4-6-8 hour of sun? Some places have too much overcast. Some places get bombed with snow like 70 miles from my Wisconsin home, 240 inches a year. What is the cost of this "unit"? Who pays for it? What is the return of investment?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
True that is.

It's not quite on-topic but this particular station is in Truckee. Truckee is generally a "get me enough gas to get to Reno or the North Shore of Tahoe" stop. It's more conducive to high powered DCFC than finding something to do. Reno's a bit over an hour away and your likely destination where there'll be a hotel with L2 charging. For those heading further east for a full day on I-80, yeah you might want something to do there. Then again, I haven't driven that freeway in 15 years. I'll leave it to the "experts" to figure out where and how a DCFC station should be put together.
Meaning it's more for short top-offs rather than full charges? That would be more tolerable if there's nothing nearby.

A 10-15 minute stop with nothing there to utilize the time (other than a bathroom... or at least a tall shrub ? ) isn't too bad. But a 45 minute one would suck.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Gas stations are often pull-thru not to bring a trailer through it, but because they're high throughput. It gets more cars through faster, and they have the traffic to justify the extra space it takes. It's a drive-thru function (2-3 minutes).

EV charging is not. It's a "park and stay" function (15-60 minutes). Kinda like the drive-thru lane at KFC vs the parking spots for those going inside to eat.

Many of the EA chargers in parking lots (not all, but many) are on the outskirts of Walmarts and Targets, etc. With usually no cars around (outside of Christmas). You can often pull up from the side with your trailer and block a few open spots when it's so empty on the outer edges.
Sponsored

Last edited: