silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
EA has plans for Aberdeen and Port Angeles in WA per their Cycle 2 plan.

I am baffled by some of EA's plans though for locations. They've got like 15 stations in Sacramento but they've got 200+ mile gaps in some spots (UT, NV) and dead ends in others (Minneapolis, Flagstaff).

If you're following the progress of the CCS network expansion though, there are some big things going on.
  • Tesla & NJ Turnpike charging deal
  • Rocky Mountain Power & UT
  • Truck stop association
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/2...harging-locations-50-miles-lawmakers-proposal

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/02/08/truck-stops-to-install-electric-charging-stations/
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's awesome about the NJTP and Tesla - for my homeward commute I get on the NJTP at exit 8 southbound so there isn't currently a DCFC on my way home. According to that article Tesla will put the infrastructure in place at the Stockton stop south of exit 7, which will be fantastic for those times in the cold dead of winter when the battery is at its weakest.

Things just keep getting better and better for BEV's in NJ...

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Here's EA's progress so far in February of live stations:

Feb 1, 2020 - 398; 77
Feb 6, 2020 - 399; 76
Feb 10, 2020 - 400; 76
Feb 14, 2020 - 401; 74
Feb 20, 2020 - 403; 73
Feb 22, 2020 - 406; 70
Feb 24, 2020 - 407; 68

RidetheLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1968 Mustang, 2007 Mustang GT
Country flag
Shhh....trying to make excuses to not see the in laws ?
But good to know. I usually drive the 5 heading up anyway

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Haha, are those spots free charging locations through Chargepoint? EA shouldn't see too high of demand because the cost is rather high. It's only slightly cheaper than filling up an ICE. Would really curve demand use unless you're traveling. Plus the other 250+ 50kw charging locations may be better value for people who are looking for a better price.
I spoke with EA myself and with all honesty at the subscription rate which cost $4 per month EA is SIGNIFICANTLY les then ice. I have no idea how people keep saying they are the same. For 270 miles at a typical EA in California based on the 150 rate which is 0.69 it comes out to about $25. Unless you are getting say 40 MPG in an ice car you will not even come close.

Deleted member 367

Yep, we really need to separate them into two major categories: road trip chargers, and local chargers.

EA is going mostly after the ROAD TRIP market. That's DCFC where people need near-full charges in less than an hour as a stop toward a distant destination. That also includes some chargers in cities too as people on road trips still go through cities, or need fast chargers when they get there on a visit. It makes sense that DCFC charges a premium price because it's for customers that rarely use it and are willing to pay a premium to enable the road trip.

The LOCAL market is people commuting and running around near home (routine daily charging). Most of those people will charge at home (their house, or apartment/condo). Or at their workplace/school/hotel. That's typically L2 charging where workers/customers are parked for many hours.

Some people don't have somewhere they can charge overnight or at work or school. Frankly, those people probably aren't good fits for getting a BEV in the first place, as they'd be stuck relying on retail charging all the time, and scavenging wherever they can along the way. Most people won't put up with that. I don't expect that to be a big share of the market. And I think it would be a mistake to waste a lot of resources building chargers to fit that segment.

EA should continue to focus on ROAD TRIP chargers, IMO. And cities/developers/businesses should focus on getting more private L2 chargers in place in homes, business, and schools reserved for their residents/customers.
<<It makes sense that DCFC charges a premium price because it's for customers that rarely use it and are willing to pay a premium to enable the road trip. >>
This is a bit light weight. Tesla chargers are way cheaper and it's a great car. Why then would one buy a e-Mustang instead of a Tesla Y or 3?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I spoke with EA myself and with all honesty at the subscription rate which cost $4 per month EA is SIGNIFICANTLY les then ice. I have no idea how people keep saying they are the same. For 270 miles at a typical EA in California based on the 150 rate which is 0.69 it comes out to about $25. Unless you are getting say 40 MPG in an ice car you will not even come close.
Ford quotes 45 minutes to charge from 10%->80% in the ER models, at a cost of $.69 * 45 = $31.05 at EA. Assuming a RWD with 300 mile range, that's 300*.7 = 210 miles. For an ICE that gets a reasonable 25 MPG highway, it would require 8.4 gallons to go that same 210 miles. Assuming gas is $3.70 where you live (where I live in NJ it's around $2.50/gal right now) that would come out to $31.08.

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Why then would one buy a e-Mustang instead of a Tesla Y or 3?
I expect Ford to have better build quality than Tesla. And Ford has a large dealer network in case I need a repair. And I also expect the Mach-E to be a lot less $$ than Tesla once the initial demand is satisfied (Ford dealers will negotiate, but Tesla won't).

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Ford quotes 45 minutes to charge from 10%->80% in the ER models, at a cost of $.69 * 45 = $31.05 at EA. Assuming a RWD with 300 mile range, that's 300*.7 = 210 miles. For an ICE that gets a reasonable 25 MPG highway, it would require 8.4 gallons to go that same 210 miles. Assuming gas is $3.70 where you live (where I live in NJ it's around $2.50/gal right now) that would come out to $31.08.
when I spoke with EA they said I think, it has been several months that the average new electric car charges at roughly 9 miles per minute. 270 dived by 9 =30*0.65= $20 .00. Roughly.

I believe in all honesty that Ford is down playing the charge times so that they do NOT get fined again for stating more like they did on the 2015 energi cars.

do it yourself. Go to EA and do a chat. I was on there literally an hour. Mostly because they had to keep saying that these were rough guesstimates and you cannot hold us accountable etc. I kept verifying numbers based on the 150 rate. What they did say is that the costs with the different rates are in reality all the same. For example car may start charging at 350 then will fall to 150 and maybe even 75. However which the various charges time changes. So in reality the cost is the same and so are the total charging times.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
There are states with big holes though, Look at Michigan (hi government interference in the 'free' market). Maybe when Ford sells EVs they'll change the laws, but there are giant swaths of states that still need work.

That said, I'm optimistic. If you dose looks onyoutube a few people have driven with other CCS cars and had fair results. is an example, note he got one place and stuff was dead. He downplay sit some, but that'd been a little scary if it was me and the entire family. Yes, he could have looked closer in the app, but no, that shouldn't have happened.

That's not to say it doesn't happen to people with Superchargers either.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
My understanding is that the broken charger issues are with everyone except EA. The reason is they are looking for free charging.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
when I spoke with EA they said I think, it has been several months that the average new electric car charges at roughly 9 miles per minute. 270 dived by 9 =30*0.65= $20 .00. Roughly.

I believe in all honesty that Ford is down playing the charge times so that they do NOT get fined again for stating more like they did on the 2015 energi cars.

do it yourself. Go to EA and do a chat. I was on there literally an hour. Mostly because they had to keep saying that these were rough guesstimates and you cannot hold us accountable etc. I kept verifying numbers based on the 150 rate. What they did say is that the costs with the different rates are in reality all the same. For example car may start charging at 350 then will fall to 150 and maybe even 75. However which the various charges time changes. So in reality the cost is the same and so are the total charging times.
When the official charge curves come out we will know more. EA has no information on the mach e, and Ford does. for now I'm going with Fords numbers not some guy guessing
Sponsored