The Volkswagen ID.4 Is A Disappointing Electric Car (For Now)

OP
OP
TheSteelRider

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
FYI, He mildly raves about Mach E's P&C, and rails on VW for not supporting it on their own charging network for their own cars.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Volkswagen ID.4 Is A Disappointing Electric Car (For Now) 1614784371517

OP
OP
TheSteelRider

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
For what it is worth, after watching this video I am more convinced than ever that the Mach E is the correct choice. Whomever the design team is for the ID4, they really all need to be fired. I can't fathom having to deal with those very strange quirks like haptic, pressure-sensitive buttons on the steering wheel, or non dedicated window buttons.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Just watched Doug Demuro's video yesterday. Some of the design stuff is pretty slick, but agree that there are some headscratchers. To shift into neutral, turn the knob juuuuuust a bit but not all the way to D/R? That seems like a good way to plow through your garage someday.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Supposedly, the ID4 is going after a different segment than the Mach-E or Model-Y; they're trying to get drivers of plug-in hybrids like the Prius, and crossovers like the CR-V.

Last edited:

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
No 1PD. That's one of my favorite things on the MME. I would be disappointed coming from another EV like a Leaf or Bolt expecting a similar experience with an upgraded vehicle, only to find out that it's not available.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I’m a big VW guy. I’ve owned many. My daily driver right now is a GTI, I’m restoring a classic Beetle (my second) and I’ve had various other models throughout my life. I got hyped at the announcement of this car and immediately put a reservation on opening day. 4 days later I canceled it and put my money on the Mach E GT. I’m so glad I did. I could tell from looking into the Id3 launch and the specs of this one that I wouldn’t be happy. I’m glad early reviews are proving I made a good choice

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
For what it is worth, after watching this video I am more convinced than ever that the Mach E is the correct choice. Whomever the design team is for the ID4, they really all need to be fired. I can't fathom having to deal with those very strange quirks like haptic, pressure-sensitive buttons on the steering wheel, or non dedicated window buttons.
I think their window switches are brilliant. As someone who never wants the back windows down, I hate hitting the wrong row.

The rest of the touch-sensitive controls on the wheel and screen need to go for sure though.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I do like the led strip across the dash and some of the clean design. When I saw their ID Buggy driving around Monterey over a year ago it was the coolest vehicle I had seen in a long time, even took a photo. They do a convertible I'd be much more interested.

The turbo Beetle my spouse owned years ago was one of her favorite cars, first new car we bought after moving to California, but our most unreliable vehicle.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Volkswagen ID.4 Is A Disappointing Electric Car (For Now) IMG_5347

OP
OP
TheSteelRider

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I think their window switches are brilliant. As someone who never wants the back windows down, I hate hitting the wrong row.

The rest of the touch-sensitive controls on the wheel and screen need to go for sure though.
Really? My other vehicles that have the standard 4 switches have physical characteristic differences for front vs. back (e.g., raised nibs, etc.). Never have had an issue. That said, to each his own I can see a poorly designed switch stack being easy to hit the wrong button.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Really? My other vehicles that have the standard 4 switches have physical characteristic differences for front vs. back (e.g., raised nibs, etc.). Never have had an issue. That said, to each his own I can see a poorly designed switch stack being easy to hit the wrong button.
The only vehicle I never had that issue with is the one I owned with crank windows, and my Mustang which had no back windows.

Every other vehicle, including Mach-E, my finger rests on the rear switch by default. I have already rolled down the rear window of my Mach-E, cursed the designer, and then rolled it back up and rolled down the front window. VW's solution seems so brilliantly intuitive to me.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
FYI, He mildly raves about Mach E's P&C, and rails on VW for not supporting it on their own charging network for their own cars.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Volkswagen ID.4 Is A Disappointing Electric Car (For Now) IMG_5347
Seriously?! How do they not have P&C on this car??

I think this does just go to show that Ford actually did really try to make the Mach E as good as it could be at launch. Sure there are issues for some people, but overall its turning out to be a great car and will just get better.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Seriously?! How do they not have P&C on this car??

I think this does just go to show that Ford actually did really try to make the Mach E as good as it could be at launch. Sure there are issues for some people, but overall its turning out to be a great car and will just get better.
They don't have it yet. They've said it is coming in 2021 via OTA.

Not that it compares to Mach-E having it at launch, but it's not fair to imply they didn't think about P&C or remember they also owned EA.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
They don't have it yet. They've said it is coming in 2021 via OTA.

Not that it compares to Mach-E having it at launch, but it's not fair to imply they didn't think about P&C or remember they also owned EA.
But there is no reason it wasn't there from day one. Electrify America is run by VW. Why would they not support their own vehicle at launch?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
But there is no reason it wasn't there from day one. Electrify America is run by VW. Why would they not support their own vehicle at launch?
Idk. Why isn't hands-free driving available from Day 1 on Mach-E? Why can't our apps open our frunks? Everyone's rushing as fast as they can and saying "ship it, we can OTA it later." Ford, VW, and Tesla all did this.
Sponsored