SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I've been trying to figure out what all of this waiting reminded me of...

Then today it hit me.

In late 2000, Toyota announced the first mass-produced, hybrid-electric vehicle for sale in the United States. We tried to get on the waiting list at several dealers in our town, but could not (well, we did, but they were multi-year waiting lists).
We tried to find one available out of town. It was not available anywhere in the southwest US.
We went to a new auto auction website, "Ebay Auto" — which was sketchy as hell — and bid on several vehicles, only to be outbid immediately.
We called Toyota and they said, "you have to go through the dealers."
We called the dealers again. Nobody had any allocations that weren't already spoken for.
It was like trying to find a Beanie Baby.

In mid 2002, we finally almost got our hands on one. It was the top-line trim model that the person who had ordered it had declined to purchase, and the dealer had an ADM on it that made me sick. We turned it down. At that time, $28k was out of our price range. My partner was pregnant at the time and that was just way too much.

In late 2002, the same dealer had another one that was the base model. It wasn't the color we wanted. But it didn't have ADM. We snapped it up. Several people came in to test drive it while we were signing paperwork. We told the dealer to let them test drive it but if there was any damage, we wouldn't buy the car. The testers were super jealous that we were getting it. Some offered us cash not to buy the car. We didn't accept, in part because the car we had driven to the dealer was a junker and we would have had no way to get home.

Anyway, that's sort of what the Mustang wait feels like to me.
Things are much better in some ways and not so much in others. First, it's much easier to order than it was in the past. Second, we have some amount of (muddy) insight into the process. It's also much more frustrating. Because we have some very muddy insight into the process and that process seems like a mess. And, of course, the chip shortage and the pandemic are making the waiting more troublesome in some ways.

[made some edits after memory correction from my partner]
Sponsored

Last edited:

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag

Then today it hit me.
A few years ago I built a 1948 MGTC/Q Special. Basically a replica of a famous MGTC Q bodied race car. There are precious few of the original 8 remaining.

I put it up for auction on Bring-a-Trailer with a starting price of $60K. The auction lasted 30 minutes past it's scheduled end with 4 bidders driving the price up to $75.5K.

The average for a restored stock '48 MGTC is $39K.

This fever doesn't just affect the prices of new 'gotta have' models.

DSCN2173 2.jpg

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
A few years ago I built a 1948 MGTC/Q Special. Basically a replica of a famous MGTC Q bodied race car. There are precious few of the original 8 remaining.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The waiting...and a comparison. DSCN2173 2
? That's a gorgeous build!

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag

Then today it hit me.
Hey Space. I know the lead navigation programmer of the Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, works at JPL. I used to give him a ride to computer club meetings when he was still too young to drive. Cool guy.... dragged me to see Star Wars, A New Hope in '77.

DSCN2182.jpg

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Hey Space. I know the lead navigation programmer of the Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, works at JPL. I used to give him a ride to computer club meetings when he was still too young to drive. Cool guy.... dragged me to see Star Wars, A New Hope in '77.
I'm assuming you mean Louis. I never got a chance to meet him in person, but he was awesome to work with on the Galileo project back in the 90s. He has saved spacecraft countless times from various navigation failures and possible issues. What an incredible mind he has.

(I was a lowly graduate student at a different institution during Galileo, so he doesn't know me.)

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I'm assuming you mean Louis. I never got a chance to meet him in person, but he was awesome to work with on the Galileo project back in the 90s. He has saved spacecraft countless times from various navigation failures and possible issues. What an incredible mind he has.

(I was a lowly graduate student at a different institution during Galileo, so he doesn't know me.)
I think I got the rovers wrong... Curiosity too.
https://mars.nasa.gov/people/profile/index.cfm?id=22858

At computer meetings in the late 70's into the 80's all the adults stood around him and watched as he worked. His dad was pretty cool too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I think I got the rovers wrong... Curiosity too.
https://mars.nasa.gov/people/profile/index.cfm?id=22858

At computer meetings in the late 70's into the 80's all the adults stood around him and watched as he worked. His dad was pretty cool too.
Ah, okay. I don't know Mark, but his work on stereovision has been important...some of his ideas have almost certainly ended up in the algorithms used on our Mustangs and the Tesla software.
Sponsored